New and old members. WELCOME TOPIC

Explaining how the new forum works
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: New and old members. WELCOME TOPIC

Post by dave g »

I really appreciate people dropping by this thread and saying "Hello". I hope we see more of your posts as time goes by.
what_the_deuce Canada

Post by what_the_deuce »

Canadian tennis fan who loves the Davis CUp.
Mayorghouliani United States of America

Post by Mayorghouliani »

Hello, I was on the old talk about tennis forum and I was also on Tennis.com for many years as yello fuzzy.
I play tennis at least 3 times a week.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I remember your name. I always thought it was a good choice.
Welcome back :thumbsup:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

Hi, been gone for a while but hoping to enjoy more great tennis talk again! I am after hubby motobass to return, too!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Please, make him. We need all the old friends we can get ;)
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Hey, this is pretty random I guess. I am the new person here. I was also told by ponchi101 that I am the first minor of this group of tennis enthusiasts. I am 16 years old. I have been learning and playing the game of tennis since I was 5 years old and I play for my school team and I am currently going into my 11th year in the Fall. My dream is to get into a good Division 1 college so I can get a good education and play tennis while I am doing that.

My name is Marabella, but everyone calls me Belly so I will go by that on here as well. I really don't know much about the classic tennis players other than what I have watched on video, but I love hearing stories about them. My favorite players are Coco Gauff and Frances Tiafoe and my favorite tournament is the US Open. I have been to that tournament once in my life and I hope to go back soon.

Thanx for having me, Belly
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm Hey, this is pretty random I guess. I am the new person here. I was also told by ponchi101 that I am the first minor of this group of tennis enthusiasts. I am 16 years old. I have been learning and playing the game of tennis since I was 5 years old and I play for my school team and I am currently going into my 11th year in the Fall. My dream is to get into a good Division 1 college so I can get a good education and play tennis while I am doing that.

My name is Marabella, but everyone calls me Belly so I will go by that on here as well. I really don't know much about the classic tennis players other than what I have watched on video, but I love hearing stories about them. My favorite players are Coco Gauff and Frances Tiafoe and my favorite tournament is the US Open. I have been to that tournament once in my life and I hope to go back soon.

Oh, great - right as I post the article above about the interestingly positioned wasp's nest, a MINOR comes along!

Seriously, though - welcome, Belly.
I hope you enjoy yourself here and continue to learn about the history of the game. And you'll surely teach us a few things, as well.

All the best for your own tennis, as well - just remember that if you one day enter the top 200 or so in the rankings, you'll have to give all of us here 38% of your earnings (including endorsements), because we will obviously be significantly responsible for your success.
:lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:16 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm Hey, this is pretty random I guess. I am the new person here. I was also told by ponchi101 that I am the first minor of this group of tennis enthusiasts. I am 16 years old. I have been learning and playing the game of tennis since I was 5 years old and I play for my school team and I am currently going into my 11th year in the Fall. My dream is to get into a good Division 1 college so I can get a good education and play tennis while I am doing that.

Oh, great - right as I post the article above about the interestingly positioned wasp's nest, a MINOR comes along!

Seriously, though - welcome, Belly.
I hope you enjoy yourself here and continue to learn about the history of the game. And you'll surely teach us a few things, as well.

All the best for your own tennis, as well - just remember that if you one day enter the top 200 or so in the rankings, you'll have to give all of us here 38% of your earnings (including endorsements), because we will obviously be significantly responsible for your success.
:lol:
Hey, please don't hold back on whatever you decide to post on the count of me. If I glance at the title I will just let it go by. My mom is pretty lax on most things with me because she knows I have a decent head on my shoulders. She taught me well as did my dad until his untimely passing while on the job as a Police Officer. I live everyday to make him proud. I hope I am doing a decent enough job of it.

Oh God, I just hope to get a free or discounted education out of tennis. :D Seriously, if I would play a player such as Coco I wouldn't score a single point off of her. I think she would probably knock the racquet out of my hand with her return. I would still want to play tennis with her though. ;) I just try and take in everything I possibly can while I am on the court or reading about tennis, or watching it. Most of all and I learned this from my grandpa, I go out there and have fun.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Hi Cuckoo:
(I will call you that because I simply think it is a great nick ;) )
I moved your post here, as we do have a welcome topic, as you can see. You simply joined us at the "wrong" time, in the sense that this welcome topic, for which we always leave a link in our banner, was not there as we are promoting our Wimbledon games.
About you playing Coco:
You would be surprised of how well you could hit with her. About 5 years ago, at the place I used to play, this 23 young dude needed some warming up because he was playing in the Bogota open (it was held at the time), and had been granted a WC. That day, there was nobody else there, so he had to settle for me. We trained for a while and then he needed to play a real set, to train his real serve. Of course he beat me, but he beat me 6-1 (I actually BROKE his serve, but of course could never hold mine). He then played his matches and lost in the first round, 6-1, 6-1.
What I remember the most was how much better my strokes were as I played with him, because he fed me such a pure ball. Of course, heavy and with lots of pace, but I could use his excellent strokes to help with mine.
So, at 16, I would say you more than could have a decent session with Coco. You would score a few points. Sure, a 6-0 could be lurking there, but at 16, give yourself a few more years and I would put down a few dollars that you could make it a match.
And: you are going to college, Div 1. Remember that the list of players coming out of the US College system and having successful careers at the tour level is not trivial: McEnroe, Mayotte, Annacone, Anderson, Isner, Collins (there is a great example). Your tennis ceiling is years away :thumbsup:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:10 pm Hi Cuckoo:
(I will call you that because I simply think it is a great nick ;) )
I moved your post here, as we do have a welcome topic, as you can see. You simply joined us at the "wrong" time, in the sense that this welcome topic, for which we always leave a link in our banner, was not there as we are promoting our Wimbledon games.
About you playing Coco:
You would be surprised of how well you could hit with her. About 5 years ago, at the place I used to play, this 23 young dude needed some warming up because he was playing in the Bogota open (it was held at the time), and had been granted a WC. That day, there was nobody else there, so he had to settle for me. We trained for a while and then he needed to play a real set, to train his real serve. Of course he beat me, but he beat me 6-1 (I actually BROKE his serve, but of course could never hold mine). He then played his matches and lost in the first round, 6-1, 6-1.
What I remember the most was how much better my strokes were as I played with him, because he fed me such a pure ball. Of course, heavy and with lots of pace, but I could use his excellent strokes to help with mine.
So, at 16, I would say you more than could have a decent session with Coco. You would score a few points. Sure, a 6-0 could be lurking there, but at 16, give yourself a few more years and I would put down a few dollars that you could make it a match.
And: you are going to college, Div 1. Remember that the list of players coming out of the US College system and having successful careers at the tour level is not trivial: McEnroe, Mayotte, Annacone, Anderson, Isner, Collins (there is a great example). Your tennis ceiling is years away :thumbsup:
Thank You, yep I saw that it was moved here. I didn't see this thread when I made the post originally.

Wow, that experience you had is so awesome. I would die to have an experience like that with Coco or really any pro player like that. The thought of playing Division 1 tennis in a few years if that happens and possibly having a match against a player that could be gearing up to go on the tour would also be amazing. I would use whatever time I had on the court with any professional player to pick their brain and learn anything I could. I wouldn't care if I lost 6-0, 6-0 and in like 30 minutes. That would be the best 30 minutes I had spent in my life. :lol:

You are correct though about playing better against those opponents that have better pace and a heavy ball on them. It does make your strokes much better. I look at someone like Coco or even Emma or Leylah when they were my age and they had a lot of ups and downs in their game at that time. Emma & Leylah are now 19 and Coco is 18 so they are definitely not veterans of the tour, but they all seem to be more settled in with their play already. All 3 of them are going to be at the top of women's tennis for a long time.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm My favorite players are Coco Gauff and Frances Tiafoe and my favorite tournament is the US Open.
I was worried the name might have been for Vandewedge :)
:steven:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:36 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm My favorite players are Coco Gauff and Frances Tiafoe and my favorite tournament is the US Open.
I was worried the name might have been for Vandewedge :)
Nope a big time Coco Gauff fan. :)
Canucklehead Canada

Post by Canucklehead »

I have posted a few times in the regular section, and I saw this in thread in the header at the top of the page that said to Welcome myself here.

My name is Viktoria(Tori) and I am 27 years old. I am obviously a fan of tennis and also enjoy playing the game for fun and exercise. I also enjoy anything related to fitness, fashion, shopping, & nature. I live in the Toronto area in Canada and work as a Physiotherapist at a clinic. So while watching the tennis matches, I also watch during the medical timeouts closely to see what is going on. My current male & female favourite tennis players are: Felix Auger Aliassime & Leyah Fernandez. My favourite retired male & female tennis players are Daniel Nestor & Aleksandra Wozniak.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Daniel Nestor. Say no more: you like doubles! :clap:
You have already posted several times, but welcome aboard. Notice there is a PM system so, if you have any questions, either in the open or as a PM you can let us know.