The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Explaining how the new forum works
JazzNU United States of America

Re: The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Post by JazzNU »

FYI, I figured out a curse word I can post and it shows @ponchi. A variation, but definitely a curse word. :D
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

There are no bans on curse words other that F*** and S***, and the always gray area in which a regular word is used offensively towards a fellow TAT2'er.
Slurs are automatically banned too, and of course, aiming one to a fellow TAT2'er will get you a warning, EVEN if the automatic banning switch's it to (slur).
And yes, I know. Of all the people censoring words, I am doing it? AITA?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'm now wondering how many slurs are there in American English worthy of being banned. Can't think of anything straight away other than the infamous "n-word"...
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Suliso wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:29 pm I'm now wondering how many slurs are there in American English worthy of being banned. Can't think of anything straight away other than the infamous "n-word"...
I can think of a lot of others. They are equally offensive. The only difference is that they don't have as horrible of a history behind them. I don't know if that matters. What do y'all think? Also, does this refer to "banned" like from the dictionary, or from use here? I'm assuming it's the latter. Thanks.

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It means from the forum here. Any of those words are immediately replaced by a selection I have made: (expletive) or (slur) will be the replacing string.
Of course, intent and context have to be taken into consideration. if anybody here is rude enough to use such a word as a direct offense to somebody else, the admins can look at the original post and we will determine if such a person needs to be warned or downright banned.
We are a small group and we know each other. I doubt that after all these years we are going to go that way, but one never knows when you will go crazy.
Also: let's enjoy the richness of language. You are welcomed to use "poppycock" anytime you want! ;)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

As I've mentioned, I think that keeping the statistics on the number of 'thanks' a person gives/receives is silly, and can lead to some unhealthy competitiveness...

That said, I am curious about how it works - because I have twice seen my number of 'thanks' received be cut. The first time I noticed it, the number only dropped by 5 or so. But this time, I was over 100 a few days ago, and it suddenly dropped to the low 80s sometime in the past few days.
I doubt that several people went back several weeks to systematically remove their 'thanks' to me. So how can this significant a drop be explained? I'm curious.

I still think that the statistics on number of 'thanks' given and received should be removed - while keeping the ability to 'thank'.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I can't find a setting that would remove or cull "thanks" automatically. I have not paid attention to how many instances of thanks have been posted and, although there is a setting to reset all counters and remove all thanks, I have not activated them. They are a one time thing so I have stayed away from that.
If you say that your thanks counts have changed in such fashion, I really can't tell you what is happening there. You also have to remember our platform: phpBB is a bunch of people collaborating but with no coordination. The THANKS extension is designed by a third party so maybe there are some bugs in there. This certainly is not Xenforo or vBulletin so maybe indeed the counters go haywire. I will keep an eye on my counters to see if the same thing happens buy other than that, I am at a loss. Will KYP.

EDIT.
Ok. I think I figured it out. Several forums are set to be pruned automatically. Topics that have not been visited in a certain time get deleted. That pruning took place recently and the entire Aussie Open topic, as well as related ones, have been deleted. So all the thanks that you got there have been wiped out.
So it is not that some people went ungrateful, it is just that those topics are no longer here and the count has changed.
I think that is the reason.
I will increase the pruning period now that we have more GB's to use, up to six months. But I gather that we can do without Slams' comments from a year past.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I guess that's it, as the only other explanation I can think of would be that several people, totaling about 20 'thanks', would have had to go back and search for their posts where they 'thanked' me, and remove the 'thanks' one by one. And I doubt that anyone - let alone several people - would actually go to that trouble for something so trivial.

On the subject of 'pruning'... is it really necessary to have threads automatically delete? A few weeks ago, you posted that we were only using 307 MB of a 100 GB total - which is less than 1%. If that's the case, it would seem that we could go several years without 'pruning' anything, and still have plenty of space.
Maybe it's not that straightforward - I don't know... I'm just going by those numbers.

I, personally, think it would be good if we could keep threads as long as possible - not because I want to keep my number of 'thanks'! :lol: , but because someone might be interested in revisiting, say, an Aussie Open thread a year later, and comparing some elements between the current tournament and the one which was played a year previous.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I set up the pruning because I did not know how the forum would behave, system wise. We started with 20GB and Hostinger has increased it to 100GB now, so we seem to be in no problems regarding space. I have increased the pruning for Slams to 180 days, so we should be able to see what has happened in the recent Slams.
We are still even more exclusive than SW19 5AE; with our small membership I believe I will be handing over the torch for this when I won't be able to see the print with tri-focals and we will still have space. Just as an example: the sole other forum I am in (Mavicpilots, a forum for drone operators) has constantly 70 members on line and around 600 guests. Every time I go there it is like that. Total members is getting close to 10,000 and they have 7-8 new registrations per day. Of course, they are the premier drone forum and they do sell a lot (they have a lot of adds) so it runs very well. We, of course, are who we are: a small bunch of urchins that only like to hang with each other :D
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

But if we have so much space (100 GB), and are using so little (300 MB), why is pruning necessary?
If we used 300 MB in the first 3 months, that translates to 1.2 GB per year. At that rate, we have over 80 years of space before we'd have to think about 'pruning', no?

Am I missing something?
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No. You math is correct. But...
I am using some space for a personal project. And I felt that some topics that are not visited again can be pruned. The forums that are pruned are: contest and tournaments. All others are not pruned as we visit, for example, the POLITICS topic on a very regular basis. But if we ever start a topic that really gets no more visits, pruning can be helpful.
I want to give it a little more time before I decide if this is even needed. I am still checking what quality of service Hostinger can give us. So far, they have been very good but we have had a couple of downtimes. I want to give them a full year to see how reliable they are.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Ok, understood.
Thanks.
R.I.P. Amal...

texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

technical question...I guess...what is the difference in "sent messages" vs. "outbox"? I was sending a message to 3mlm for Miami predictions. For the past several weeks, after I send my predictions, the sent message shows up in "sent messages." But for the one I just did for Miami, it is in the "outbox" and not "sent messages." Confused?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I replied to you in the PREDICTIONS topic. However: messages sent via PM stay in the OUTBOX until the recipient reads them. Then they get moved to the SENT folder in your PM boxes.
That way you can edit or even delete messages prior to them being received.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

ahh! ok! thanks! that seems counter-intuitive since in some email programs they are in outbox until actually sent. so that didn't click for me.