The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Explaining how the new forum works
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Post by ponchi101 »

Thanks for that, Deuce. Looks very useful.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: What legends and icons mean

Post by ponchi101 »

Two general points
- Red icons are unread items, blue/grey are read
- A star on any topic means you have posted in it

Image - Announcement
Image - Sticky topic
Image - Read topic
Image - Unread topic
Image - Read topic that you have posted in
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: What legends and icons mean (cont)

Post by ponchi101 »

Image - Unread topic that you have posted in
Image - Hot topic
Image - Locked topic
Image - Moved topic
Image - Forum with subforums (which have been read)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: What legends and icons mean (cont)

Post by ponchi101 »

Image - Forum with subforums (which are unread)
Image - Link forum
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

At TAT, I had it set up so that, when I opened a thread, the most recent post in that thread would be at the top. (So the thread would open with the oldest post I hadn't read--I have already seen that is not possible here--and then I would scroll up to see additional new posts after the oldest I hadn't seen.)

In any case, I cannot find a way to put the most recent posts in a thread at the top forum-wide. And it may not be possible because when I change a thread from ascending to descending to put most recent posts in that thread at the top, it works, but then the next time I open the thread, it's back to having the first post in that thread at the top.

It's not a big deal. I'm probably the only person who had TAT set up that way. But I was quite fond of it. :)
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I have not been able to add TAT2 to Tapatalk on my phone. I found the following information, non-specific to the phpBB forum software:

Your forum needs to be added to the directory before it will be able to be searchable on tapatalk. You can add the forum to the directory via your forum's settings.

admin > settings > forum settings > directory

I did search for more specific instructions to add a phpBB forum to Tapatalk, and couldn't make heads or tails of it.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:36 am At TAT, I had it set up so that, when I opened a thread, the most recent post in that thread would be at the top. (So the thread would open with the oldest post I hadn't read--I have already seen that is not possible here--and then I would scroll up to see additional new posts after the oldest I hadn't seen.)

In any case, I cannot find a way to put the most recent posts in a thread at the top forum-wide. And it may not be possible because when I change a thread from ascending to descending to put most recent posts in that thread at the top, it works, but then the next time I open the thread, it's back to having the first post in that thread at the top.

It's not a big deal. I'm probably the only person who had TAT set up that way. But I was quite fond of it. :)
I have no idea how to do that (or that you could do it on TAT 1.0) but just want t make sure you know you can go to the "oldest unread post" in the thread if you click the little red folder icon next to the thread name - and then you do have to scroll down.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:25 am
dryrunguy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:36 am At TAT, I had it set up so that, when I opened a thread, the most recent post in that thread would be at the top. (So the thread would open with the oldest post I hadn't read--I have already seen that is not possible here--and then I would scroll up to see additional new posts after the oldest I hadn't seen.)

I have no idea how to do that (or that you could do it on TAT 1.0) but just want t make sure you know you can go to the "oldest unread post" in the thread if you click the little red folder icon next to the thread name - and then you do have to scroll down.
Yes, thanks! I knew that, I think from an older version of TAT. But it was one of the things I immediately picked up on here.

My problem is that I don't always remember which post in a thread was the last one I read. I'm old. :)
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Look in your Control Panel (top left, click your name). Then go to Board Preferences, then Display Options. Play around with that to get a setup you like. Not sure you'll be able to complete copy Original TAT, but probably something more to your liking.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 am

Look in your Control Panel (top left, click your name). Then go to Board Preferences, then Display Options. Play around with that to get a setup you like. Not sure you'll be able to complete copy Original TAT, but probably something more to your liking.
Yup. That's what I was looking for and could not find. Thanks so much! I much prefer having the most recent posts in a thread at the top rather than at the bottom or several pages later.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. Order of posts (Acs vs Desc)

Post by ponchi101 »

@ Dry. Although JazzNu has already answered, here it goes in graphical form.
1. Go to your User Control Panel
2. Go to BOARD PRERERENCES
3. Go to EDIT DISPLAY OPTIONS
4. In the areas below, you can choose which way to display TOPICS and POSTS; they are independent from each other.
board.jpg
Let me know if it works. We are still in learning mode.
@JazzNu: txs for the assist (or I assisted you, or some combination :) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. Adding TAPATALK

Post by ponchi101 »

@MJ:
I believe I had not set up the TAPATALK addition properly.
I created a TAT2.0 addition in TAPATALK. You should be able now to link them.
The TAPATALK page gives me this:
TAP.jpg
As you can see, there is a new TAT2.0 forum within TAPATALK and now it can be accessed. The issue was the API key.
TAP_php.jpg
The API key is now shared, and you should be able to use both systems.
You can see that registrations FROM TAPATALK and automatic acceptance of people already in TAPATALK are not available. For those that want to join our forum, we need you to confirm here first, then you can join us and use whichever system/interface you prefer. Remember, spambots. They are everywhere.

@MJ. Since you may be the first person to use TAPATALK, let me know if you are successful. You know, still learning. Txs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

It worked! I searched for talkabouttennis2 in the Tapatalk search engine and it brought up TAT2, which I was able to connect to. Thank you!! I'm mobile again.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. Faulty posting. UPDATE

Post by ponchi101 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:15 pm Hi gang:
I believe that this has happened to me twice already.
I was posting a reply (not quoting) and pressed SUBMIT. At the same time, a second person was posting something more in the topic, and my post was not posted. At least, that is what I think happened.
Let us know if this has happened to you. If this is a limitation of phpBB, we have to be aware of it, specially during contests and such in which people may be posting simultaneously.
Txs.
Ok. I found out what happens.
If you are composing a post, AND SOMEBODY ELSE POSTS WHILE YOU ARE COMPOSING, the system will inform you that a new post has been posted and that you may want to check it before you post yours. After pressing SUBMIT, you will be taken to a page telling you this, but the POST WILL NOT BE SUBMITTED. So, if you are like me, always rushing, and you go to the BOARD INDEX, your post will not be posted.
Another feature of phpBB. Sort of... ok.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Just want to point out that even if you don't have a setup as particular as @dry's, there's still changes you can make in your Control Panel that will adjust the forum to suit your preferences.

For instance, I took mchat off of my main page, switched recent topics shown at the top from 5 to 8, and switched the style to colors a bit more subtle and less likely to cause a migraine. Small changes, but ones that help with the transition and feeling comfortable here. Definitely play around in the control panel if the style of the forum is not to your liking just yet.

Also, I hated the blank person in my profile, so I added a generic tennis photo for my avatar.