The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Explaining how the new forum works
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:45 pm Just want to point out that even if you don't have a setup as particular as @dry's, there's still changes you can make in your Control Panel that will adjust the forum to suit your preferences.

For instance, I took mchat off of my main page, switched recent topics shown at the top from 5 to 8, and switched the style to colors a bit more subtle and less likely to cause a migraine. Small changes, but ones that help with the transition and feeling comfortable here. Definitely play around in the control panel if the style of the forum is not to your liking just yet.

Also, I hated the blank person in my profile, so I added a generic tennis photo for my avatar.
Ouch!!! :)
There are now themes for all Slams. And the default (prosilver) is pretty soft on the eyes.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:56 pm Ouch!!! :)
There are now themes for all Slams. And the default (prosilver) is pretty soft on the eyes.
Not ouch at all. The regular site is very nice and will work for most. Migraines are weird. I do this with every site that allows changes. I could do the default if it was the only option, but I played around to double check, since darker tends to be better for reducing triggers. Reducing white is almost always better, I apply dark themes usually. After trying several, I went with one that is grey, it's not quite dark, but almost. I like it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok. I did not know about that. I found out how to change colors, so I can work a softer theme. Something more pastel and with less blue, which I understand keeps you up. :)
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I think you did a great job, I like the colors of the default site. I almost didn't change it because they are softer than I typically see as a default style. But for times like today when craziness is happening or when there's a GS or a big tournament, when I'm on the forum more? That's when the changes are the most helpful.

I didn't use to do these things and I had migraines more frequently. Small changes here and there like this helped reduced the number I was having quite a bit.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:25 am
I have no idea how to do that (or that you could do it on TAT 1.0) but just want t make sure you know you can go to the "oldest unread post" in the thread if you click the little red folder icon next to the thread name - and then you do have to scroll down.
I won't lie...before that I'd come to forum and have no idea what was new and would get discouraged.
:steven:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:26 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:25 am
I have no idea how to do that (or that you could do it on TAT 1.0) but just want t make sure you know you can go to the "oldest unread post" in the thread if you click the little red folder icon next to the thread name - and then you do have to scroll down.
I won't lie...before that I'd come to forum and have no idea what was new and would get discouraged.
Pt. Have you activated the RECENT TOPICS extension? That will list as many new posts as you wish. You can find the instructions here:
https://talkabouttennis2.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=26#p94

That setting will list the LAST post of the topic; unfortunately, it will take you to the very last post, not the newest post from the last post you read.
If you see a little red arrow next to the poster, it is a post you have not read. If it is gray, you already did.
last, the recent topics box will come with its own pages. For example, if you have your setting set up 5 posts, and there are 10 new posts, you will get 2 tabs to navigate.
Let us know.
Deuce Canada

Re: The new TAT2.0. Faulty posting. UPDATE

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:50 pm Ok. I found out what happens.
If you are composing a post, AND SOMEBODY ELSE POSTS WHILE YOU ARE COMPOSING, the system will inform you that a new post has been posted and that you may want to check it before you post yours. After pressing SUBMIT, you will be taken to a page telling you this, but the POST WILL NOT BE SUBMITTED. So, if you are like me, always rushing, and you go to the BOARD INDEX, your post will not be posted.
Another feature of phpBB. Sort of... ok.
But do you lose everything you typed when this occurs? Or is there a way to easily retrieve it (via the 'back' button, for example).

If people lose what they've typed, the little extension called 'Textarea Cache' will save it for you. I think everyone should have that extension - you never know when it will save you a lot of headache.

Insofar as the colour themes, or 'skins', or 'styles' go... I've tried them all. I like a dark theme, so I have this...
https://darkreader.org/
With that extension, you can adjust the main colour, the brightness, contrast of it, etc., assign a particular font to particular webpages... it's quite practical.
I tried it with all the 'styles' available here, and settled on 'ProSilver Color-blinds' - because that is the 'style' which gives the most noticeable partition between posts. With the other styles, the posts all blend together when darkened.

I don't see any significant difference between the new 'Grand Slam' styles and the basic ProSilver. The Grand Slam styles here add a tiny bit of very peripheral colour, but it's barely noticeable. The main body - 95% of the style - is the same as ProSilver (this is without 'Dark Reader' enabled).
It would be nice if someone could produce styles in the colours of the 4 Grand Slam tournaments similar to the ones at TAT 1.0, where the tournament colours were very visible, and you really did feel that it was part of the tournament (and the colour theme was maintained with 'Dark Reader' enabled!) But this is not at all a priority, of course.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ah... I used the official colors for all four slams. As I wrote, the Aussie open is almost identical to the default here, so that is the reason I used a second AO_Bright scheme, just to put some splash.
Wimbledon was the easiest as they have a page in which you can find the HEX colors. The colors for RG I had to get through a software that tells you the HEX codes. Same for the USO.
However, if you use that darkreader, the colors will be changed, of course.
Because PHP uses a lot of dependencies and the default prosilver is a really complex folder, I have only learned to change some parts of the themes. The background for prosilver (basically white) is something I can't find. Plus, changing that will affect entire regions of the page; I am afraid of doing so and having another blackout.
We are getting there. :)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Understood.
The colours are fine - it's just that you can barely see them. They appear essentially only at the very top and very bottom of the page. In between, where the body of the page is - which is where the posts are read -, it is still, as you say, the 'white' of prosilver. (This is without 'dark reader' engaged, obviously.)
In TAT 1.0, there was significantly more colour showing, including some of the writing, as well as the indicators of day and time of each post, and the indicators of likes/thanks, both of which also act as dividers between posts.

As I said, it is obviously not at all a priority. It simply would be nice to have those grand slam colours be more visible at some future point.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Omess Canada

Post by Omess »

How do I unsubscribe from the e Mail notifications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Omess wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:15 pm How do I unsubscribe from the e Mail notifications?
User Control Panel (upper right, click on your your username), then 'Board preferences', then 'Edit notification options'.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The new TAT2.0. Manage notifications

Post by ponchi101 »

What Deuce said. Or:
notifications.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Omess Canada

The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Post by Omess »

ponchi101 wrote:What Deuce said. Or:
notifications.jpg
I am on my iPhone and I don’t see either. This is the only thing I see when I clicked on the upper right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Does anyone ever use the chat on this site? Wondering if we are going to have a TAThering tonight (if I don't fall asleep) to watch the old site disappear into the great beyond.
:steven:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have used it, and it is very simply and fun. If you have your speakers on, new messages are notified with a little ping. So it is very easy to use.
Get there, and start chatting. Let's see how many of us get there. :)