by ponchi101 Although this forum will not be the same as the previous one, it does have certain trinkets that are of use. It takes just a little to warm up to them.
1. We are now in a 20GB memory space, but as the forum was measured, we are only using 50 MB. That is the forum structure; it will certainly grow as we post but I do not think we will face space issues.
2. Please check out that the NEW TOPIC procedures has its charms. For example, it will always generate a NEW POLL option, in a tab at the bottom. It works nicely (try to make a link; it is very easy).
3. Attachments? Simple drag and drop works (if the format is supported). I have limited the size to 512 MiB, so that is the limiting factor. And the only one.
4. We retain private messages.
5. Because phpBB is sort of like Mozilla (open source), there are plenty of styles and extensions that are readily available from their forum. If you are so inclined, you can go to www.phpbb.com and check it out, or more specifically, to their customize page ( https://www.phpbb.com/customise/ ) and if you see anything you like, we will gladly load it.
6. At the very top left, under the phpBB logo, you will find a QUICK LINKS menu. It will let you see both UNREAD and NEW POSTS, in one convenient menu. It comes close to our lost ribbon.
7. We get SSL, end to end encryption for secure connections (check out the neat padlock by your browsing address). I have no idea how good this really is (PGP, RSA or what encryption) but just for your safety.
8. The forum is enabled for TAPATALK, although I don't know how to link those accounts (the extension is enabled, so feel free to experiment to link your TAPATALK account to your USER here).
9. You can link your profile to your Social Media accounts (FB, Twitter, Skype and YT)
10. Super fast media embed. If in your computer, drag and drop in post window. If an internet address, highlight the address, drag and drop.
11. Drop down menus for quick navigation (in some links).
12. Hover preview of topics. It will display the first 150 characters of the FIRST and LAST posts.
13. TRANSLATION button (on the right, below your login). Don't know how that can help, but we have it! De nada, du rien, bitte, prego... ;)
14. And some truly, truly cheesy styles... :lol: which I am learning you can expand. So we can get all out emojies back!

There is a further thing. The package we got is good for 100 websites. If somebody wants to upload something else, I will gladly assist on that. Domain registration will be up to you, of course.

I am still learning how to use the Administrator functions. Which I will talk about in a separate post.

Last. I still need to make some other fora, to copy as much as possible the previous structure of TAT. Let me know what topics are needed, either in his thread or by PM. And by PM, I mean HERE. Not in our lovely old house.

by ponchi101 One thing that is not related to the software but is of importance is our TAT2.0 structure. As of now, we have this:

C = Category
F = Forum

Indentation means Child to Parent relation

(C) Welcome center
>>>>> (F) Administration, Rules and History
>>>>> (F) Technical Aspects TAT2.0
(C) Tennis Related
>>>>> (F) Talk about tennis
>>>>>>>>>> (F) Grand Slams
>>>>>>>>>> (F) WTA/ATP Tournaments
>>>>> (F) Tennis Contests
>>>>> (F) Tennis Equipment
(C) NON TENNIS RELATED
>>>>> (F) Talk about other stuff
>>>>> (F) Other sports
>>>>>>>>>> (F) NFL and contests (including FF)
>>>>>>>>>> (F) The NBA Forum
>>>>>>>>>> (F) MLB and baseball
(C) BLOGS AND NON-COPPA AREA
>>>>> (F) BLOGS
>>>>> (F) THE DUMPSTER AND NON-COPPA

END
We will need to expand these categories and fora. Anybody can create a NEW TOPIC, but only Admins can create CATS and FORUM.
So, if you want new divisions, just reply to this post, keep the structure you see here, and insert, in a different color/bold/font with the new sections and I will load them up.

by Deuce You mention Curling in the 'Other Sports' intro, but you didn't add it as a Forum. Given what has transpired on the original TAT regarding curling discussions, I think it deserves it's own Forum here.
As does Pickleball, of course.

While we're at it, let's create an 'Tennis Equipment' Category, with Forums of 'Racquets/Strings', 'Balls', & 'Shoes' (clothing is not equipment).

by patrick I can see where we can go to the last post.

Let say, I read 2 posts in a thread/topic. Leave the topic. Then 3 more people post in a topic and I want to read all of them. Will we be able to go directly to the 3rd post and/or we have to go to the first/last post?

by ponchi101
Deuce wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:58 am You mention Curling in the 'Other Sports' intro, but you didn't add it as a Forum. Given what has transpired on the original TAT regarding curling discussions, I think it deserves it's own Forum here.
As does Pickleball, of course.

While we're at it, let's create an 'Tennis Equipment' Category, with Forums of 'Racquets/Strings', 'Balls', & 'Shoes' (clothing is not equipment).
I don't think we should add curling as a forum, we can add curling as a topic. You can do that easily :)
Tennis equipment as a category is a bit too much (I think). We seldom talk about those items (it was you and me) so that could be also a topic. Those can be started by anybody, so feel free.
What I would like to avoid is something that I see in a lot of people's computers: folders within folders ad infinitum. And then every folder has only ONE file in it. One thing that I like about phpBB is the COLLAPSIBLE button; you, for example, never post in the OTHER STUFF category, so you can collapse it and get rid of it if you feel so inclined. But if we add too many categories, those in turn cannot be collapsed. I want to see if we can make this forum as user friendly as TAT1.0, and try to give it the same flavor.

by ponchi101
patrick wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:58 am I can see where we can go to the last post.

Let say, I read 2 posts in a thread/topic. Leave the topic. Then 3 more people post in a topic and I want to read all of them. Will we be able to go directly to the 3rd post and/or we have to go to the first/last post?
I think the convenient TAT1.0 function that takes you to the LAST POST YOU READ is not available here. In the RECENT posts category, if you click on the LAST post it takes you to the very last, not the last YOU READ.
Then again, I am learning about this one as I go. It seems to have more functions than I gathered. So let's keep hammering. Maybe there is an extension just for that :)

by ponchi101 As per request:
We now have our posts NUMBERED. It is a tiny number right next to your name and post info. I chose this setting because it lets you copy the LINK to the clipboard, if you click on the number. The second setting is to have a large number next to the TOPIC SUBJECT. I prefer the discreet setting.

Different from vBulletin. If you send a PM to somebody, your message is kept in the OUTBOX until the other person reads it. If you for some reason want to delete the message or modify it before the other person reads it, therefore you can.
Once it is moved to the SENT MESSAGES category, the other person has read it.

Please let me know if this was of help.

P
-->
by ponchi101 EDIT:
This topic was about uploading your avatar. Since other questions have been asked (and hopefully answered) I changed the title.

About avatars: Since at least two people have told me this is not so easy, here is a brief guide.
Go to:
1. User control panel
2. Profile
3. Edit Avatar
4. Choose file (from the UPLOAD FROM YOUR MACHINE).
5. A standard WINDOWS frame will open. Navigate to your avatar of choice and click OPEN
6. Back here, click SUBMIT

Notice that avatars have size and pixelation limitations. Maximum size is 6.00 KiB, pixel dimensions are 90x90 pixels.
Please let me know if this was of help.

P

by MJ2004 Re-sizing mine down was the trickiest part. I used a free online tool.

by texasniteowl I resized mine in Windows using old fashioned paint. I resized it down to 90x90 jpg but it was still over the file size limit. So I reloaded it in paint and saved it as a gif which "reduced quality" but got it down to the 6kb file size.

Recent topics.jpg
Let me know what else needs to be "fixed"
:yD -->
by ponchi101 Dear all:
I hope you are enjoying your new house. I know, it is like a cabin log in the boonies, but, well, it has some nice views.
This is in response to Deuce*'s post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28&p=91#p90
---0---
Indeed, yesterday I had to torture test this place a bit and, as I have said, I am still learning how to work the controls here. So if you saw changes, it was me. I will try to do all those things in my OFFLINE copy, so all of you will not be subject to my experimentation.

The RECENT TOPICS box can indeed be set individually:
1. Go to USER CONTROL PANEL
2. BOARD PREFERENCES
3. EDIT DISPAY OPTIONS
4. DISPLAY RECENT TOPICS area
You can then customize it for your own display. On top, Side, bottom, number of topics, etc. You can see and play
5. CLICK SUBMIT to accept changes. In this forum, always click SUBMIT; it is not like other software where the change then is automatic.

Visually:
Recent topics.jpg
Let me know what else needs to be "fixed"
:yD

by ponchi101 As we welcome Suliso, he has posted the ATP/WTA topic/thread. This is just a reminder to everybody: starts the TOPICS you want, in the forum you want.
We want to recreate TAT1.0 as much as possible. Or at least, I do.

by the Moz How can I add my location? Remember it was offered when I registered, but can't find a way to go back and add it.

Add location.jpg
Let me know. ;) -->
by ponchi101
the Moz wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:56 pm How can I add my location? Remember it was offered when I registered, but can't find a way to go back and add it.
Add location.jpg
Let me know. ;)

by the Moz Got it!

Thanks ponchi :)

by Deuce Interesting - my User Control Panel has slightly different options than the one in your screenshot - see below...
And - I can't get to the Board Index, because today, it just takes me to the new Blog page. I have no way of getting to the Board Index to see if the Recent Topics has moved to the side or not.

by ponchi101 You switched your style to X-CREAMY. These styles are not made by phpBB but by contributors, so they have slight differences, and sometimes a few glitches. Notice that you still have the options for the RECENT TOPICS display, but it is missing (in your board) the DISPLAY RECENT TOPICS toggle, and the SORT RECENT TOPICS toggle. For the time being, I would recommend to stick to PRO SILVER or PRO SILVER SPECIAL EDITION, which are phpBB designed.
When you were not able to get to the board and you were sent to the BLOG page, it was my fault. I am trying to add such a page, and used WORDPRESS to design it. But, as we have one single address, WP hogged it, and it became the .htaccess page. I had to restore the Db.
I promise I will not do that again. This is so complex that working on the LIVE board is not a good idea, but WP only works ONLINE.

I promise I will have this thing running smoothly by... March :?

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:55 am You switched your style to X-CREAMY. These styles are not made by phpBB but by contributors, so they have slight differences, and sometimes a few glitches. Notice that you still have the options for the RECENT TOPICS display, but it is missing (in your board) the DISPLAY RECENT TOPICS toggle, and the SORT RECENT TOPICS toggle. For the time being, I would recommend to stick to PRO SILVER or PRO SILVER SPECIAL EDITION, which are phpBB designed.
^ Even with Prosilver, I don't have the options you mention - see below.
And my Recent Topics is indeed displayed on the side now, by the way.
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:55 am When you were not able to get to the board and you were sent to the BLOG page, it was my fault. I am trying to add such a page, and used WORDPRESS to design it. But, as we have one single address, WP hogged it, and it became the .htaccess page. I had to restore the Db.
I promise I will not do that again. This is so complex that working on the LIVE board is not a good idea, but WP only works ONLINE.

I promise I will have this thing running smoothly by... March :?
^The Board Index link still takes me to WordPress. And, once there, when I click on 'Hello World', I somehow get to the Board Index. It's an interesting little detour.
Is there perhaps a vaccine available that would make everything ok? ;)

recent topic.jpg
Let's start with some things:
What browser are you using? Can you test the site in a different one? I am running it in both Firefox and MS Edge. They both work fine for me.

Sorry about the detour you are going through. Can you clean the cache? That way you can get a "fresh" site.
chrome: https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-the-Cache-in-Chrome
Edge:
clear cache.jpg
Firefox:
clear cache Firefox.jpg
-->
by ponchi101 I switched to X-creamy and got this:
recent topic.jpg
What browser are you using? Can you test the site in a different one? I am running it in both Firefox and MS Edge. They both work fine for me.

Sorry about the detour you are going through. Can you clean the cache? That way you can get a "fresh" site.
chrome: https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-the-Cache-in-Chrome
Edge:
clear cache.jpg
Firefox:
clear cache Firefox.jpg

by atlpam Took some time to re-size like others. I went back to my Roger avatar as it was making me sad to see the pic of me with my sweet dog that we lost recently to a brain tumor.

by ponchi101 Yes. That is the kind of thing you want to remember, but not all the time.
This one is cool.

by ti-amie THANK YOU to whoever suggested an online free picture resizing site.

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:01 pm

I tried it with the most recent Firefox. It was exactly the same as before on my regular browser (Vivaldi).
Perhaps you have more options available to you because you're the Admin?
It would be good to find out whether the other regular members have an interface that is like yours, or like mine. Although, honestly, it's not really that important.

The Board Index link (top left of pages) works fine for me now - without my having cleared the cache.
But the Board Index link on the bottom left of pages still does nothing when clicked on.

by ponchi101 It must be as you say. I do have a different set up, which has to be because I am the Admin. I get to decide whether everybody, not just me, sees the RECENT POSTS.
Nothing to do with browsers and such.
Will check on the lower BOARD INDEX link.

by Deuce It seems that the lower Board Index link doesn't work from within threads only.

by ponchi101 Not sure, Deuce. I tried it as guest, as simple register user (ponchi103 DOES NOT exist), in two different browsers (FFox and Vivaldi) and it works for me.
Are you on a Mac, or regular PC?

by Deuce Now both the bottom and the top Board Index links take me to the 'Hello World' Blog page again.
It did not do that for a day or so, but now does it again.

by ponchi101 Sorry you are having a rough time, Deuce.
The files for that page have been deleted from the server. All I can think is that they are in your cache. I tested the site using Vivaldi and my fake alias (ponchi103) and the links are working well. If you don't mind cleaning the caches and see how that goes, we can check.
I have to admit I am hitting a wall here in some aspects. It looks as if it is working fine from my end.
Sorry again :(

by Deuce No need to apologize, ponchi - all part of the natural growing pains. The glitches like this are not serious matters, and the forum can certainly operate with them until they are ironed out. I'm just pointing them out to make you aware of them, not to ask that they be fixed immediately.

After clearing my cache, the result is the same - the bottom link does nothing, and the top link is still going to the 'Hello World' page. I can't figure it out, either, as those links worked fine for a day or two over the weekend.
As a guest, without signing in, both links go to the 'Hello World' page.
But, again - don't see it as a 'must fix now' thing...

by Deuce And now (signed in), both the top and bottom Board Index links take me immediately to the Board Index.

Tough to figure out...

tables.jpg
YOU CANNOT CREATE THE TABLE AND THEN FILL IT IN AFTER POSTING. I said it before: it will not be a Rolls. And this is like having windshield wipers BEFORE there was the INTERMITENT functions (yes, I remember those).
But you still have windshield wipers. Now. -->
by ponchi101 I forgot who asked about making tables in this board.
It can be done.
1. You will notice a small new icon when you start a new post IN FULL MODE (not in quick reply). It looks like a...little table.
2. You can select number of rows and columns. It is limited to 7 columns, 10 rows (sorry, not my code. I would have done... something worse, for sure).
3. You can DISPLAY/HIDE the guidelines. They are fairly serious.

The tables are not easy. There is considerable substitution, but once you figure it out, it does make sense.
For example:
TEXT is arranged in a matrix format so that TEXT13 means TEXT in the 1st ROW, 3rd COLUMN. Text24: 2nd ROW/4th COLUMN.
tables.jpg
YOU CANNOT CREATE THE TABLE AND THEN FILL IT IN AFTER POSTING. I said it before: it will not be a Rolls. And this is like having windshield wipers BEFORE there was the INTERMITENT functions (yes, I remember those).
But you still have windshield wipers. Now.

by Deuce Hi, ponchi...
Two questions - firstly, would you consider moving the 'profile box' of each post (where the avatar, medals, join date, etc. are) to the left-hand side, as it is in the original TAT (and in the great majority of other message boards/forums)? I've tried to get used to it being on the right, but it's difficult.
The avatar is what instantly identifies a poster for me (and for most others, I assume), and, as English is always read from left to right, having the avatar on the opposite side to the side we start reading posts on means having to scan the other side of the screen on every post.
I think having it on the left-hand side would be more natural and intuitive for the majority.

Secondly, I sometimes notice in the 'who is online' area at the bottom of the Board Index a 'user' named 'Google Bot'. Is this you, or something you initiate... or are we all being spied upon by Big Brother? :shock: :)

by ponchi101 Deuce.
I don't see a setting for having the poster's profile on the left. I believe that is the structure of the page, so I don't see a way of changing it.
Remember, TAT1.0 was run on a different software.
The google bot is part of the phpBB package. I do not understand bots that well, but nothing we can do about it. Google Analytics comes here, checks that we are a bunch of boring people, and probably are putting us at the very end of every single search for "tennis forum". Which I really will not mind. :)

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:22 am Deuce.
I don't see a setting for having the poster's profile on the left. I believe that is the structure of the page, so I don't see a way of changing it.
Remember, TAT1.0 was run on a different software.
The google bot is part of the phpBB package. I do not understand bots that well, but nothing we can do about it. Google Analytics comes here, checks that we are a bunch of boring people, and probably are putting us at the very end of every single search for "tennis forum". Which I really will not mind. :)
^Yes, I know TAT was on different software - but 95% of the forums I've seen, including phpBB ones, the poster's profile is on the left-hand side. I always thought that profiles on the left was the default in all forum software - at least the ones which function primarily in English, due to the left-to-right reading direction.
I thought it would be as easy as you clicking a button - really - because this, too, seems like a pretty basic feature. But I've searched about it and see that it seems to be dependent on the 'style' (colour theme)... and it must be changed for each 'style' individually?
The more I see of how phpBB works, I see that to make changes, one must often have to change the coding. And on top of that, the instructions are always written in Japanese (well, it might as well be Japanese to me :? .)
Hey - if it's complicated, just forget it. I would have thought that in 2020, changes like this could literally be made by a simple click.

This seems complicated (to me, at least)...
https://www.artodia.com/phpbb-30-tutori ... -the-left/

I assume there's no way to disable the Google Bot spy - at least not without missing out on something that's sort of necessary?
Togtdyalttai wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:41 am Here's an extension that does what Deuce is mentioning: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _switcher/. In a quick search, I didn't see anyone posting about whether it works with phpBB 3.3 or not, but some people said it worked with 3.2.
^ Thanks for checking, Tog.

by ponchi101 Deuce:
The first two solutions cause crashes :( . But THE THIRD ONE WORKS! :)
Let me wait until the afternoon so I can make a backup of the forum (I can only do one every 24 hrs) and then upload to the real site. I tested that one in my "fake" one for testing, and it worked, but from previous experience we know now that sometimes they do not work in the real server.
BTW: the extension sets the default to LEFT, but you can select that individually. So I will post the instructions here on how to do that (fairly simple, just User CP). But I want this thread to be like the repository for all these technical instructions.
Tog, thanks for the searches. You posted one with the link to the real solution. :)

(Ponchi101, sheepishly, jealously, thinks: "Damn, Tog is doing a better job than I am :evil: They are going to want HIM to run the site. CAN'T ALLOW THAT :ax )

Edit. And BTW: I like the profile on the RIGHT. That way you can read the post before finding out who wrote it. Avoids some bias :)

by Kirkus Stop apologizing for using phpBB. What it does is actually pretty amazing. TAT's first forum software didn't even use a database. It was all done with text files. This is all coming together really well, Ponchi.

Switch.jpg
Let us know if it is working fine. -->
by ponchi101 We have uploaded an extension that allows you to decide where to put the profiles' boxes in messages and PM. It can be customized:
1. USER CONTROL PANEL
2. BOARD PREFERENCES
3. EDIT DISPLAY OPTIONS
4. DISPLAY PROFILE LEFT (yes or no switch)
Switch.jpg
Let us know if it is working fine.

by Deuce Great! Thanks, ponchi - much appreciated. The fact that it's user selectable is a nice bonus that renders it perfect.

Now you just need to figure out how to put your eyeball avatar on BOTH sides of each post - to frighten people even more...

Thanks again.

by ponchi101 Hello.
I have installed two new themes for the board. They are related to the Aussie open.
The first one is prosilver_AO_Of. I used the official colors of the tournament, which, coincidentally, are very similar to the default theme of the board (prosilver, the main theme for all phpBB). It makes very little difference, but those are the colors.
However, the Aussie uses a bright yellow in many of its pages. That is included in the prosilver_AO_Br theme. I like that a little more.
If anybody wants to submit a good header to put up at the beginning of 2021, I will gladly use it.
I gather I have enough time to work out RG. And the other two.

Edit: RG, two Wimby and USO are up. Let me know which ones you dislike ;)

by Deuce Ok, I give up... For the past 2 weeks or so, I've been seeing star ratings for topics.... I've been seeing these ratings change from day to day...
I've looked for how one can rate a topic, and HAVE NOT FOUND any button or function for that purpose.
My vision is good - so that's not the problem. I've looked for it with the 'prosilver' style, thinking maybe other styles may not show the ratings button. But I don't see it in 'prosilver', either.
I have told myself that I will not ask where the function is - I will keep looking for it, and will eventually locate it. But after at least 2 weeks of searching, I am giving up.

Now, I will likely never rate a topic in my lifetime - but it is truly bothering me that I cannot for the life of me find any function that allows one to rate a topic. As I see star ratings for topics, I assume that there must be a function for this somewhere. BUT WHERE??
For the sake of my sanity, please point me to it.

by ponchi101 You can't, indeed, rate a topic. It is in function of the THANKS a post receives.
It is kind of silly, but it works like this: People can thank the posts in any topic. So, the rating is done by how many posts are thanked WITHIN THE TOPIC. if, for example, the topic has three posts and only one has been thanked, it will get a 33% rating, which will be rounded. So for a topic to have multiple stars, a lot of readers must thank it a lot.
I am not sure if when people thank many times a post, the many times count for the total thanks of the topic.
So, no, you can't rank a post. It will be done automatically. But as we thank some people for their posts, the little stars will change.
Us being almost a club and not a board (we are so few) I gather any post with 2 thanks will be 95% of the highest thanked post.
So don't worry, it is not you. Go ahead and thank somebody and then see how that will affect the post (you can un-thank it later).

by Deuce Wow... I wouldn't have thought of that. Man, you should have told me this before - I wouldn't have spent the past 2+ weeks searching for the ratings function! :x ;)

I agree - it is silly. And misleading. I was wondering why some topics went from being rated, say, 75% to being rated 20%. I assumed it was because people were indicating they did not like the topic - which I think is a logical assumption.
If it matters, I vote for removing the star ratings if that's possible, as the way it is calculated makes every rating completely irrelevant - and confusing.

Profile.jpg
And BTW: You CANNOT change your profile until you stop being a NEWLY REGISTERED member. That is so spambots cannot change/insert links to profiles created minutes ago. And you stop being a newbie after you post 5 times; or you can ask Tog or I to upgrade you. We can and will do that only for known members (those coming from TAT1.0)
Keep your questions coming. phpBB has some charms up the sleeve :yD -->
by ponchi101 A question has been asked about editing your profile.
All profile matters are controlled via the User Control Panel. There, the second tab controls all your profile features:
Profile.jpg
And BTW: You CANNOT change your profile until you stop being a NEWLY REGISTERED member. That is so spambots cannot change/insert links to profiles created minutes ago. And you stop being a newbie after you post 5 times; or you can ask Tog or I to upgrade you. We can and will do that only for known members (those coming from TAT1.0)
Keep your questions coming. phpBB has some charms up the sleeve :yD

by ponchi101 Hi gang:
I believe that this has happened to me twice already.
I was posting a reply (not quoting) and pressed SUBMIT. At the same time, a second person was posting something more in the topic, and my post was not posted. At least, that is what I think happened.
Let us know if this has happened to you. If this is a limitation of phpBB, we have to be aware of it, specially during contests and such in which people may be posting simultaneously.
Txs.

by Deuce For you and anyone else to whom this might happen, and you lose everything you've typed, there is an add-on / extension that will save what you type in case this kind of accident occurs.

It is called 'Textarea Cache', and I can confirm that it works efficiently and does what it claims to do - saves what you type so that you can recover it in situations like the one ponchi describes. It even saves formatted text.

For Chrome and Chrome-based browsers:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ated?hl=en

For Firefox and Firefox-based browsers:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefo ... rea-cache/

by ponchi101 Thanks for that, Deuce. Looks very useful.

by ponchi101 Two general points
- Red icons are unread items, blue/grey are read
- A star on any topic means you have posted in it

Image - Announcement
Image - Sticky topic
Image - Read topic
Image - Unread topic
Image - Read topic that you have posted in

by ponchi101 Image - Unread topic that you have posted in
Image - Hot topic
Image - Locked topic
Image - Moved topic
Image - Forum with subforums (which have been read)

by ponchi101 Image - Forum with subforums (which are unread)
Image - Link forum

by dryrunguy At TAT, I had it set up so that, when I opened a thread, the most recent post in that thread would be at the top. (So the thread would open with the oldest post I hadn't read--I have already seen that is not possible here--and then I would scroll up to see additional new posts after the oldest I hadn't seen.)

In any case, I cannot find a way to put the most recent posts in a thread at the top forum-wide. And it may not be possible because when I change a thread from ascending to descending to put most recent posts in that thread at the top, it works, but then the next time I open the thread, it's back to having the first post in that thread at the top.

It's not a big deal. I'm probably the only person who had TAT set up that way. But I was quite fond of it. :)

by MJ2004 I have not been able to add TAT2 to Tapatalk on my phone. I found the following information, non-specific to the phpBB forum software:

Your forum needs to be added to the directory before it will be able to be searchable on tapatalk. You can add the forum to the directory via your forum's settings.

admin > settings > forum settings > directory

I did search for more specific instructions to add a phpBB forum to Tapatalk, and couldn't make heads or tails of it.

by mmmm8
dryrunguy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:36 am At TAT, I had it set up so that, when I opened a thread, the most recent post in that thread would be at the top. (So the thread would open with the oldest post I hadn't read--I have already seen that is not possible here--and then I would scroll up to see additional new posts after the oldest I hadn't seen.)

In any case, I cannot find a way to put the most recent posts in a thread at the top forum-wide. And it may not be possible because when I change a thread from ascending to descending to put most recent posts in that thread at the top, it works, but then the next time I open the thread, it's back to having the first post in that thread at the top.

It's not a big deal. I'm probably the only person who had TAT set up that way. But I was quite fond of it. :)
I have no idea how to do that (or that you could do it on TAT 1.0) but just want t make sure you know you can go to the "oldest unread post" in the thread if you click the little red folder icon next to the thread name - and then you do have to scroll down.

by dryrunguy
mmmm8 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:25 am
dryrunguy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:36 am At TAT, I had it set up so that, when I opened a thread, the most recent post in that thread would be at the top. (So the thread would open with the oldest post I hadn't read--I have already seen that is not possible here--and then I would scroll up to see additional new posts after the oldest I hadn't seen.)

I have no idea how to do that (or that you could do it on TAT 1.0) but just want t make sure you know you can go to the "oldest unread post" in the thread if you click the little red folder icon next to the thread name - and then you do have to scroll down.
Yes, thanks! I knew that, I think from an older version of TAT. But it was one of the things I immediately picked up on here.

My problem is that I don't always remember which post in a thread was the last one I read. I'm old. :)

by JazzNU

Look in your Control Panel (top left, click your name). Then go to Board Preferences, then Display Options. Play around with that to get a setup you like. Not sure you'll be able to complete copy Original TAT, but probably something more to your liking.

by dryrunguy
JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 am

Look in your Control Panel (top left, click your name). Then go to Board Preferences, then Display Options. Play around with that to get a setup you like. Not sure you'll be able to complete copy Original TAT, but probably something more to your liking.
Yup. That's what I was looking for and could not find. Thanks so much! I much prefer having the most recent posts in a thread at the top rather than at the bottom or several pages later.

board.jpg
Let me know if it works. We are still in learning mode.
@JazzNu: txs for the assist (or I assisted you, or some combination :) ) -->
by ponchi101 @ Dry. Although JazzNu has already answered, here it goes in graphical form.
1. Go to your User Control Panel
2. Go to BOARD PRERERENCES
3. Go to EDIT DISPLAY OPTIONS
4. In the areas below, you can choose which way to display TOPICS and POSTS; they are independent from each other.
board.jpg
Let me know if it works. We are still in learning mode.
@JazzNu: txs for the assist (or I assisted you, or some combination :) )

TAP.jpg
As you can see, there is a new TAT2.0 forum within TAPATALK and now it can be accessed. The issue was the API key.
TAP_php.jpg
The API key is now shared, and you should be able to use both systems.
You can see that registrations FROM TAPATALK and automatic acceptance of people already in TAPATALK are not available. For those that want to join our forum, we need you to confirm here first, then you can join us and use whichever system/interface you prefer. Remember, spambots. They are everywhere.

@MJ. Since you may be the first person to use TAPATALK, let me know if you are successful. You know, still learning. Txs. -->
by ponchi101 @MJ:
I believe I had not set up the TAPATALK addition properly.
I created a TAT2.0 addition in TAPATALK. You should be able now to link them.
The TAPATALK page gives me this:
TAP.jpg
As you can see, there is a new TAT2.0 forum within TAPATALK and now it can be accessed. The issue was the API key.
TAP_php.jpg
The API key is now shared, and you should be able to use both systems.
You can see that registrations FROM TAPATALK and automatic acceptance of people already in TAPATALK are not available. For those that want to join our forum, we need you to confirm here first, then you can join us and use whichever system/interface you prefer. Remember, spambots. They are everywhere.

@MJ. Since you may be the first person to use TAPATALK, let me know if you are successful. You know, still learning. Txs.

by MJ2004 It worked! I searched for talkabouttennis2 in the Tapatalk search engine and it brought up TAT2, which I was able to connect to. Thank you!! I'm mobile again.

by ponchi101
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:15 pm Hi gang:
I believe that this has happened to me twice already.
I was posting a reply (not quoting) and pressed SUBMIT. At the same time, a second person was posting something more in the topic, and my post was not posted. At least, that is what I think happened.
Let us know if this has happened to you. If this is a limitation of phpBB, we have to be aware of it, specially during contests and such in which people may be posting simultaneously.
Txs.
Ok. I found out what happens.
If you are composing a post, AND SOMEBODY ELSE POSTS WHILE YOU ARE COMPOSING, the system will inform you that a new post has been posted and that you may want to check it before you post yours. After pressing SUBMIT, you will be taken to a page telling you this, but the POST WILL NOT BE SUBMITTED. So, if you are like me, always rushing, and you go to the BOARD INDEX, your post will not be posted.
Another feature of phpBB. Sort of... ok.

by JazzNU Just want to point out that even if you don't have a setup as particular as @dry's, there's still changes you can make in your Control Panel that will adjust the forum to suit your preferences.

For instance, I took mchat off of my main page, switched recent topics shown at the top from 5 to 8, and switched the style to colors a bit more subtle and less likely to cause a migraine. Small changes, but ones that help with the transition and feeling comfortable here. Definitely play around in the control panel if the style of the forum is not to your liking just yet.

Also, I hated the blank person in my profile, so I added a generic tennis photo for my avatar.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:45 pm Just want to point out that even if you don't have a setup as particular as @dry's, there's still changes you can make in your Control Panel that will adjust the forum to suit your preferences.

For instance, I took mchat off of my main page, switched recent topics shown at the top from 5 to 8, and switched the style to colors a bit more subtle and less likely to cause a migraine. Small changes, but ones that help with the transition and feeling comfortable here. Definitely play around in the control panel if the style of the forum is not to your liking just yet.

Also, I hated the blank person in my profile, so I added a generic tennis photo for my avatar.
Ouch!!! :)
There are now themes for all Slams. And the default (prosilver) is pretty soft on the eyes.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:56 pm Ouch!!! :)
There are now themes for all Slams. And the default (prosilver) is pretty soft on the eyes.
Not ouch at all. The regular site is very nice and will work for most. Migraines are weird. I do this with every site that allows changes. I could do the default if it was the only option, but I played around to double check, since darker tends to be better for reducing triggers. Reducing white is almost always better, I apply dark themes usually. After trying several, I went with one that is grey, it's not quite dark, but almost. I like it.

by ponchi101 Ok. I did not know about that. I found out how to change colors, so I can work a softer theme. Something more pastel and with less blue, which I understand keeps you up. :)

by JazzNU I think you did a great job, I like the colors of the default site. I almost didn't change it because they are softer than I typically see as a default style. But for times like today when craziness is happening or when there's a GS or a big tournament, when I'm on the forum more? That's when the changes are the most helpful.

I didn't use to do these things and I had migraines more frequently. Small changes here and there like this helped reduced the number I was having quite a bit.

by ptmcmahon
I won't lie...before that I'd come to forum and have no idea what was new and would get discouraged.

by ponchi101
ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:26 pm
I won't lie...before that I'd come to forum and have no idea what was new and would get discouraged.
Pt. Have you activated the RECENT TOPICS extension? That will list as many new posts as you wish. You can find the instructions here:
https://talkabouttennis2.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=26#p94

That setting will list the LAST post of the topic; unfortunately, it will take you to the very last post, not the newest post from the last post you read.
If you see a little red arrow next to the poster, it is a post you have not read. If it is gray, you already did.
last, the recent topics box will come with its own pages. For example, if you have your setting set up 5 posts, and there are 10 new posts, you will get 2 tabs to navigate.
Let us know.

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:50 pm Ok. I found out what happens.
If you are composing a post, AND SOMEBODY ELSE POSTS WHILE YOU ARE COMPOSING, the system will inform you that a new post has been posted and that you may want to check it before you post yours. After pressing SUBMIT, you will be taken to a page telling you this, but the POST WILL NOT BE SUBMITTED. So, if you are like me, always rushing, and you go to the BOARD INDEX, your post will not be posted.
Another feature of phpBB. Sort of... ok.
But do you lose everything you typed when this occurs? Or is there a way to easily retrieve it (via the 'back' button, for example).

If people lose what they've typed, the little extension called 'Textarea Cache' will save it for you. I think everyone should have that extension - you never know when it will save you a lot of headache.

Insofar as the colour themes, or 'skins', or 'styles' go... I've tried them all. I like a dark theme, so I have this...
https://darkreader.org/
With that extension, you can adjust the main colour, the brightness, contrast of it, etc., assign a particular font to particular webpages... it's quite practical.
I tried it with all the 'styles' available here, and settled on 'ProSilver Color-blinds' - because that is the 'style' which gives the most noticeable partition between posts. With the other styles, the posts all blend together when darkened.

I don't see any significant difference between the new 'Grand Slam' styles and the basic ProSilver. The Grand Slam styles here add a tiny bit of very peripheral colour, but it's barely noticeable. The main body - 95% of the style - is the same as ProSilver (this is without 'Dark Reader' enabled).
It would be nice if someone could produce styles in the colours of the 4 Grand Slam tournaments similar to the ones at TAT 1.0, where the tournament colours were very visible, and you really did feel that it was part of the tournament (and the colour theme was maintained with 'Dark Reader' enabled!) But this is not at all a priority, of course.

by ponchi101 Ah... I used the official colors for all four slams. As I wrote, the Aussie open is almost identical to the default here, so that is the reason I used a second AO_Bright scheme, just to put some splash.
Wimbledon was the easiest as they have a page in which you can find the HEX colors. The colors for RG I had to get through a software that tells you the HEX codes. Same for the USO.
However, if you use that darkreader, the colors will be changed, of course.
Because PHP uses a lot of dependencies and the default prosilver is a really complex folder, I have only learned to change some parts of the themes. The background for prosilver (basically white) is something I can't find. Plus, changing that will affect entire regions of the page; I am afraid of doing so and having another blackout.
We are getting there. :)

by Deuce Understood.
The colours are fine - it's just that you can barely see them. They appear essentially only at the very top and very bottom of the page. In between, where the body of the page is - which is where the posts are read -, it is still, as you say, the 'white' of prosilver. (This is without 'dark reader' engaged, obviously.)
In TAT 1.0, there was significantly more colour showing, including some of the writing, as well as the indicators of day and time of each post, and the indicators of likes/thanks, both of which also act as dividers between posts.

As I said, it is obviously not at all a priority. It simply would be nice to have those grand slam colours be more visible at some future point.

by Omess How do I unsubscribe from the e Mail notifications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Deuce
Omess wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:15 pm How do I unsubscribe from the e Mail notifications?
User Control Panel (upper right, click on your your username), then 'Board preferences', then 'Edit notification options'.

notifications.jpg
-->
by ponchi101 What Deuce said. Or:
notifications.jpg

notifications.jpg
I am on my iPhone and I don’t see either. This is the only thing I see when I clicked on the upper right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -->
by Omess
ponchi101 wrote:What Deuce said. Or:
notifications.jpg
I am on my iPhone and I don’t see either. This is the only thing I see when I clicked on the upper right

by ptmcmahon Does anyone ever use the chat on this site? Wondering if we are going to have a TAThering tonight (if I don't fall asleep) to watch the old site disappear into the great beyond.

by ponchi101 I have used it, and it is very simply and fun. If you have your speakers on, new messages are notified with a little ping. So it is very easy to use.
Get there, and start chatting. Let's see how many of us get there. :)

by ponchi101
Omess wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:25 am
ponchi101 wrote:What Deuce said. Or:
notifications.jpg

Ok, you got me there. I don't know how to use Tapatalk and don't have an iPhone, so I don't know.
I would suppose that settings that are site specific can only be done from here. Let's wait for somebody else that uses tapatalk to see if they can help.

by JazzNU Try a regular browser, set the notifications as you'd like, and that should carry over while in the app. Tapatalk isn't typically set up to manage specific settings of an individual forum unless that forum is also hosted by Tapatalk, but I'm should recognize the settings once they are setup using a regular browser.

If you visit the forum on a phone using a mobile browser and still don't see the settings, open the site to full/desktop screen.

by ptmcmahon If I don't fall asleep early (and I haven't been up early since kids got a bonus week of Christmas vacation) I'll be there to watch Tat 1 disappear. I guess the chat log doesn't last long though? :)

by ptmcmahon Odd coincidence...last night of TAT and the last Alex Trebek Jeopardy episode as well. It is gone officially though.

by Kirkus
ptmcmahon wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:15 am Odd coincidence...last night of TAT and the last Alex Trebek Jeopardy episode as well. It is gone officially though.
Sigh. :(

by ptmcmahon Does anyone else find messages they try to send seem to get stuck in the outbox? First two I sent were and I almost posted about it, but then they went so didn't bother....now seems like messages are "stuck" there again.

by Liamvalid Hi guys hope you don’t mind me asking this question-as I post primarily on my phone, I relied a lot on the button that’s takes you to the last read post, and the fact that threads with new posts had bold titles. As I can’t see these navigational features working on my phone, I’d like to ask is this feature working if I use desktop, or is it something we just lost in the switch over?

by ponchi101 If you come to the desktop version, you will be able to activate your LAST POST ribbon. This one is customizable and you can do several things with it:
1. Enable/Disable.
2. Select location (top, bottom, side).
3. Decide how many LAST posts you will see.
4. Decide if you want it all the time there, or only when you have new posts to read.

The phpBB extension WILL NOT take you to the first "new post" you have not read, it will take you to the LAST NEW POST, the absolute one. So you need to remember a bit where you were reading.

For further instructions, go to this post in this thread. We have posted several things to do here, as we all are getting used to the new software:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26#p94

And keep your questions coming. That is how we are learning how phpBB works.

by Liamvalid
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:40 pm If you come to the desktop version, you will be able to activate your LAST POST ribbon. This one is customizable and you can do several things with it:
1. Enable/Disable.
2. Select location (top, bottom, side).
3. Decide how many LAST posts you will see.
4. Decide if you want it all the time there, or only when you have new posts to read.

The phpBB extension WILL NOT take you to the first "new post" you have not read, it will take you to the LAST NEW POST, the absolute one. So you need to remember a bit where you were reading.

For further instructions, go to this post in this thread. We have posted several things to do here, as we all are getting used to the new software:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26#p94

And keep your questions coming. That is how we are learning how phpBB works.
Thanks Ponchi! I'll get the laptop out and have a mess about 8-)

by Fastbackss I am using on my mobile.

I click on the "three lines" which brings up a drop down box.

If you click on new posts it will bring up what posted since last visit. If you then click on the icon on left side of the thread topic it will take you to newest post.

Similarly can click on unread - will bring up any unread threads and you can click on the icon similarly

by ponchi101 Txs for that info, fastbackSS. I don't use my phone for these sites (or any) so it is great to know that it is working really well on mobile.

posts.jpg
Let us know how these new settings are working.
Txs -->
by ponchi101 Hello.
The person at phpBB that had made the extension that allows you to set your personalized preferences for how many posts/topics per page you want to see made an update for our 3.3.2 version. The new setting works this way.
1. Go to your UCP
2. Choose BOARD PREFERENCES
3. Choose EDIT DISPLAY OPTIONS
4. You will be able to see both a TOPICS and POSTS per page counter. Set them as you please.

The current setting is at 15 posts/page, 20 Topics/page. If you do not change anything, they will be your settings.
Visually:
posts.jpg
Let us know how these new settings are working.
Txs

by ponchi101 Hello:
As you will see, we have a new ribbon for posts, which allows you to do many new things:
You can align your texts now.
You can float your test, either left
or right
---
You can choose many different fonts
You can highlight text in many colors. Either via a word (yellow) or HEX code (XXXXXX)
I really don't know what preformatted text is, but you can do it
Strike through is back
Suliso may have 6.02114 x1023 reasons to be able to use superscripts
And as a chemist, being able to use subscripts may help him with chemical formulas. Like H2O
Your text can glow...
be in shadows...
...or drop shadows
You can make us think we are losing our eyesight
make your text be like a magician's trick
You can change the direction in which your writing goes (and be the ultimate contrarian)
Make the text run from either side, or up or down

Tell a joke and leave the punch line till the end
► Show Spoiler
Or if you need to detour put it somewhere else
Off Topic
which of course, we never do
And there is a new way to make tables, which I still don't get, and now you have controls to imbed media, both video and sound.
The other controls remain, so these are just add ups.

Hope you like them.

by Deuce WOW
I give you infinite thanks, sir.

I have, of course, immediately set the posts seen per page to the maximum. It is so much more practical for me.

I cannot thank you enough. I'm so happy that I will have your children...
I mean I'll name my children after you... or however that goes...

But seriously...
► Show Spoiler

by ptmcmahon Hopefully not that font too often though :D

by ponchi101 We have installed an extension that allows you to switch to a dark mode. It works better with pro-silver, but it works with all themes.

by shtexas Looks good!

by Liamvalid
Fastbackss wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:05 am I am using on my mobile.

I click on the "three lines" which brings up a drop down box.

If you click on new posts it will bring up what posted since last visit. If you then click on the icon on left side of the thread topic it will take you to newest post.

Similarly can click on unread - will bring up any unread threads and you can click on the icon similarly
That’s perfect advice, thank you :D

by Kirkus
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:28 pm Does anyone else find messages they try to send seem to get stuck in the outbox? First two I sent were and I almost posted about it, but then they went so didn't bother....now seems like messages are "stuck" there again.
I figured this one out. They stay in your outbox until the recipient(s) has opened it.

by ponchi101 Kirkus is correct. And as long as they are in your outbox, you can delete them and edit them. They move to SENT only when the recipient reads them.
So you always have a little time to delete any horrendous message you have sent someone else.

by JazzNU I like the changes in recent days, like expanded format options for posts 👍

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:57 pm I like the changes in recent days, like expanded format options for posts 👍
:tatrocks:

by ptmcmahon I do miss sleeping with Stephen though.

by ponchi101
ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 pm I do miss sleeping with Stephen though.
And I did say that if you were missing a smilie or any gif you simply had to post it and I would load it!!!!! :ax
Grrrrrrrrr! viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11#p199
Remember. It is easy for us to upload any smilie. Now, I am not going to do this, but if you ask Kirkus to post it, I will upload.
You know which one I miss?
► Show Spoiler

by dave g
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:00 pm
ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 pm I do miss sleeping with Stephen though.
And I did say that if you were missing a smilie or any gif you simply had to post it and I would load it!!!!! :ax
Grrrrrrrrr! viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11#p199
Remember. It is easy for us to upload any smilie. Now, I am not going to do this, but if you ask Kirkus to post it, I will upload.
You know which one I miss?
► Show Spoiler
Along the lines of icons we miss having, I would like to add the "group hug" icon.

by ponchi101 Actually, yes. Now that you mentioned it, that comes handy with regularity.
I don't need to PM Kirkus: Kirkus, if you are reading this topic, just post one message with the gifs mentioned here, and I will upload them as part of the gif library:
I slept with Stephen
Group hug
And we will continue to expand. Txs

by JazzNU 🤗 ❤️ 🥰 🔥

FYI, you can add an emoji of your own if it's not available here. This system recognizes and displays the universal ones just fine. So I copy and pasted the thumbs up earlier and these above just fine. Not ideal, but just so you know, it's possible to do on your own if you just want the emoji you had in your mind that was most appropriate for your comment.

by ponchi101 Another thing that I was missing from TAT1.0 is the ability to insert a link AS TEXT. Remember we could do this:
Our lovely old place

Here. you "can only" insert the link, with no text associated with it. But as you can see, it can be done:

{url=https://www.talkabouttennis.com} Our lovely old place{/url}
I have substituted the first and last "[]" so the link will be visible. Notice that after the first URL you get a "=" sign, and the last "]" goes after the https address. Then you can type in the name or sentence of whatever you want to link to.

And if you want to link AN IMAGE:

You do it this way:
{url=https://www.phpbb.com}{img}https://www.site.com/../../image_you_want.jpg{/img}{/url}

Curly brackets substitute for straight brackets, but that is the general syntax.

by ponchi101
And if you go to a full edit, you will be able to sleep with Steven again ;)
(Mr. K has delivered the full lot, so... we will include them on demand :grouphug: )

by ptmcmahon :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven:

Thanks to both of you!

by the Moz Should I have slept with Steven :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

by mmmm8
ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:45 pm :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven: :steven:

Thanks to both of you!
That many times, huh?

by mmmm8
the Moz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:48 pm Should I have slept with Steven :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Had you, you might have gotten an unfair advantage in an obscure British bracket contests on another tennis board that I'm pretty sure no longer exists.

by the Moz
mmmm8 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:47 pm
the Moz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:48 pm Should I have slept with Steven :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Had you, you might have gotten an unfair advantage in an obscure British bracket contests on another tennis board that I'm pretty sure no longer exists.
:lol: :lol:

by ptmcmahon And was well worth it ! Not that I ever did well of course.

by Deuce Would someone please explain to this Luddite what the meaning/significance/context of this 'I slept with Steven' is?
And does it refer to a particular 'Steven'? If not, why was that particular name chosen?

God help my curiosity regarding this.

by ptmcmahon One of the contests we used to have was called Battle of the Boards (I think.) I think it was basically just a straight forward bracket prediction challenge for each of the slams. The difference was you could have a home “tennis site” (like tat) picked when you signed up. Then as tournament went on one board would face another and one would move on based on its sites predictions. Was pretty fun and had lots of long term stats tracking and rankings etc.

And the guy who ran it was named Steven. He would post in our forum to promote it so someone made up that gif to joke that we were willing to do whatever to win the contest for TAT.

by Liamvalid
ptmcmahon wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 am One of the contests we used to have was called Battle of the Boards (I think.) I think it was basically just a straight forward bracket prediction challenge for each of the slams. The difference was you could have a home “tennis site” (like tat) picked when you signed up. Then as tournament went on one board would face another and one would move on based on its sites predictions. Was pretty fun and had lots of long term stats tracking and rankings etc.

And the guy who ran it was named Steven. He would post in our forum to promote it so someone made up that gif to joke that we were willing to do whatever to win the contest for TAT.
This is how I first found TAT, I used to play that contest under CentreCourtTennis where I frequented at the time, so when that board closed I defected!

by Deuce
ptmcmahon wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 am One of the contests we used to have was called Battle of the Boards (I think.) I think it was basically just a straight forward bracket prediction challenge for each of the slams. The difference was you could have a home “tennis site” (like tat) picked when you signed up. Then as tournament went on one board would face another and one would move on based on its sites predictions. Was pretty fun and had lots of long term stats tracking and rankings etc.

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting background. Not at all what I was expecting. I thought it was something that everyone who has ever used the internet knew - except me. I had no idea it was an exclusive TAT thing.

Dare I ask if anyone knows where Steven is now?

by ponchi101 Sleeping?

And not only thanks for the explanation about who was Steven, I always wondered why the contest was called Battle of the Board.

by ptmcmahon The contest ended several years ago, so not sure where Steven is now. I believe he lived in the UK but that could be me misremembering too.

by Liamvalid I have another technical question, one that totally exposes my technophobia. When I log in on my phone, I tick the “remember me” box, but when I next open the page-I have been logged out automatically. So I then have to log in and tick the box again that doesn’t work. On other sites I go, my log in info is saved and i am automatically logged in when I open the page so I don’t think it’s my phone settings doing this. Any advice please guys!

by ponchi101 Here I don't think I can help you, but: are you logging in via TAPATALK, or are you opening the forum straight as a webpage in your phone?
The style we are using (Prosilver) and all of its dependents (and almost all our styles are such) is responsive to mobile and tablet configs. I just went into my phone and opened the site from a mobile browser (duckduckgo) and it looks actually very nice.
I am on Android 7. What phone and OS are you on?

BTW. For those that use TAPATALK or other mobile systems. Give the forum a try as it is, from a browser. It is basically identical to what we see here on-line. Let us know how you like it (or don't) so we can keep tweaking.

by Liamvalid
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:26 pm Here I don't think I can help you, but: are you logging in via TAPATALK, or are you opening the forum straight as a webpage in your phone?
The style we are using (Prosilver) and all of its dependents (and almost all our styles are such) is responsive to mobile and tablet configs. I just went into my phone and opened the site from a mobile browser (duckduckgo) and it looks actually very nice.
I am on Android 7. What phone and OS are you on?

BTW. For those that use TAPATALK or other mobile systems. Give the forum a try as it is, from a browser. It is basically identical to what we see here on-line. Let us know how you like it (or don't) so we can keep tweaking.
I have an IPhone X and have this site on my bookmarks on Google. I think I tried Tapatalk in the past and found it much more cumbersome to navigate than TAT so I deleted it

lastpost.jpg
1. If you click the little red icon, it will take you to the VERY LAST POST of that thread. If you have been away for a while, you may have to back-scroll to read everything that has been posted.
2. But you can see that in the TOPICS section it tells you that you have read the last post to the last topic. It shows you a grey link.
3. But if you go to the FORUM ITSELF:
firstunreadpost.jpg
You will see that next to the TOPIC name, you will see little red folders. These links will take you to THE FIRST UNREAD POST (by you) IN THE TOPIC. This way, you can continue to read from the last post you read.

Courtesy of Drop Shot, who noticed this function. I am sure others have too, but just so we all are in the same page. Which we are, because... here you are, reading this same page.
Ok, I'll be gone. Hope this is helpful. -->
by ponchi101 Dear all.
One thing that we have been missing from TAT1.0 is the ability to go to the FIRST UNREAD POST of any thread you want to navigate to. Our RECENT TOPICS RIBBON does this:
lastpost.jpg
1. If you click the little red icon, it will take you to the VERY LAST POST of that thread. If you have been away for a while, you may have to back-scroll to read everything that has been posted.
2. But you can see that in the TOPICS section it tells you that you have read the last post to the last topic. It shows you a grey link.
3. But if you go to the FORUM ITSELF:
firstunreadpost.jpg
You will see that next to the TOPIC name, you will see little red folders. These links will take you to THE FIRST UNREAD POST (by you) IN THE TOPIC. This way, you can continue to read from the last post you read.

Courtesy of Drop Shot, who noticed this function. I am sure others have too, but just so we all are in the same page. Which we are, because... here you are, reading this same page.
Ok, I'll be gone. Hope this is helpful.

by dryrunguy Thanks, Ponchi. I had noticed that. Hopefully I'm smart enough to use the feature.

Meanwhile, how do I post a picture from my hard drive? If I click on the photo icon above the post, it looks like I can only post from a URL?

picture.jpg
1. Drag and drop in the compose area.
2. Then you have to place it INLINE.
3. Click the preview button and you will see your post, as it will go online, completely. -->
by ponchi101
picture.jpg
1. Drag and drop in the compose area.
2. Then you have to place it INLINE.
3. Click the preview button and you will see your post, as it will go online, completely.

by JazzNU @ponchi, do you have the ability to switch a thread from one section to another?

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:59 am @ponchi, do you have the ability to switch a thread from one section to another?
I don't. But Tog, Ti, M8 and Drop do ;)
Sure, we can do it. We are discussing fusing some forums together, as this may be done to keep some topics together.
Any suggestions?

by JazzNU Not really, I'm finding most things easily at this point. I just wondered and thought I'd let @dry know he could get Horse Racing moved to Sports if he wanted if it was possible

by JazzNU I've seen multiple people mention a "disappearing post" and while I have no idea what that means since it hasn't happened to me, I thought I'd mention a common practice I've used on forums for ages that might help at least somewhat. If TAT was the only forum you were on, you were spoiled with the system saving the post as you wrote it and if something happened, you'd lose very little when you went to post again. Well, that happens almost nowhere else in my experience.

So, I copy the text of my post prior to posting it. If there's an error in posting it, either on my end or with the server, no harm no foul. I haven't lost what I wrote and it only took a second to copy it and I can return to thread and post it again. If it's an extended problem with a site I'm on, I'll copy it to Notepad and save it to post later. Either way, I don't have to write whatever thought all over again and it only took seconds to do it.

by Deuce This is a disappearing post!
(And a reappearing post, as well...)

I posted this a few weeks ago, but will post it again, as it will solve the problem of losing what you've typed...
It saves everything you type into pretty much any text box - even saves the formatting.
I've used it for years - it's very reliable, never had a problem with it.

For chrome:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bmab?hl=en

For Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefo ... rea-cache/

by ponchi101 Thanks to both. If I may clarify:
This phpBB platform has a feature that, IF YOU ARE COMPOSING A POST, and another person POSTS WHILE YOU COMPOSE, when you click SUBMIT phpBB will inform you of the NEW POSTINGS and will inform you that maybe you want to see these new posts before clicking SUBMIT again, which will be when your post will actually be submitted.
phpBB is NOT losing posts. That was my original mistake; I thought that was what was happening. In reality, phpBB is/was ahead of me.
Deuce's add-ons will help, but being careful when you post and read the warning will also help. It keeps happening to me because I post, dash to a new topic, and did not realize that the new posts were being displayed and I did not make sure the post was submitted.
We have to be careful during the SP's, as for sure somebody will be posting in one pool, dash to the next while somebody was posting too, and someone's pick will not be listed.

by Kirkus Ponchi, I wonder if that's a feature that can be disabled. At least during SPs. It sounds like it might cause more problems than it's worth.

by JazzNU I try to limit add-ons just because I already have ones that are necessary and I don't want to slow my computer down further. But I like that one a lot.

I don't personally consider that a disappearing post, and I like that feature in most contexts to see what's been posted since I've been writing. I'd think some clear note on the main page, in the SP section, and in all the SP threads in red to post your pick, and double check the thread to make sure it is there would take care of SP.

I always double checked the thread after I posted on original TAT when this wasn't a thing.

by ponchi101 It can be done, and it can be done at forum level (I had not thought about it).
So we can disable it for the TENNIS CONTEST forum and keep it in others.
I actually like that feature. Please feedback: should it stay or should it go?
Should I start a poll?

And this is a reply to Kirkus because JazzNu posted WHILE I WAS WRITING THIS ONE and the system notified me :)

by ptmcmahon We never had it before and it never seemed to cause any issues really. Agreed that it may cause more issues during SP times so I'd vote for it to go if I was voting (not that it bothers me.)

by Kirkus I don't have an opinion either way, except on picks threads during SPs. I don't understand what it's used for, but that might be me being unknowledgeable.

by ponchi101 It is not "used for" as much as it is a feature of phpBB. I remember that on several occasions, in TAT1.0, I would be composing a reply to somebody's post and then post it, only to find out that somebody else had posted a better reply or something that settled the issue.
Here, if while you compose somebody else posts, instead of having your post submitted automatically you get a message telling you that new posts have been added to the topic, and the system shows them to you. You go into PREVIEW mode. That gives you the chance to edit your post. But, if you assume that you did post and do not click SUBMIT again, your post is lost.
I believe I will do as you say. During the AO I will disable that function from the CONTESTS forum (it can be done at forum level). Otherwise, we will have a winner by day 3 after we trim the pool by 25% every day due to this feature (and 25% more due to our declining predictive faculties).

by ptmcmahon Other than say Suicide Pool threads I don't remember it happening ...maybe ever? Although I do a lot of my posting late at night.

by ponchi101 Dear all.
phpBB has issued a release for phpBB, which now will be 3.3.3. The geniuses that run this thing have made the announcement, which tackles simple fixes.
As you know, I am not an expert on this software, but I like to keep the forum as updated as possible. I will test doing that upgrade in my localhost site tomorrow, to see how many things I get wrong, and then I plan on doing the upgrade tomorrow night, when I gather everybody will be at the bar, nursing a nice cold one, enjoying themselves.
I wish.
Will post on any developments.

by Deuce Ok - here's a riddle for you that I've tried to figure out the answer to, but have been unable - and so I'm giving up:

Why does the 'Topic Preview' (which displays the first and last post in a topic) work with most topics, but not with others?
For example, it does not work with the 'ATP Cup', 'In Memoriam', 'Sports Random, Random', and 'College Football' topics (and likely others, but those are the ones I've just verified for the purpose of this post).

And in 'Hello, Dante' and 'Reset 2.0', the preview displays only the first post, not the last.

I can't figure out any common denominators with these topics, and so throw it out here as a riddle.

by ponchi101
Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:52 pm Ok - here's a riddle for you that I've tried to figure out the answer to, but have been unable - and so I'm giving up:

Why does the 'Topic Preview' (which displays the first and last post in a topic) work with most topics, but not with others?
For example, it does not work with the 'ATP Cup', 'In Memoriam', 'Sports Random, Random', and 'College Football' topics (and likely others, but those are the ones I've just verified for the purpose of this post).

And in 'Hello, Dante' and 'Reset 2.0', the preview displays only the first post, not the last.

I can't figure out any common denominators with these topics, and so throw it out here as a riddle.
Indeed, very strange.
But I figured it out ;)
I will put it here as a spoiler, in case you want more time to figure it out too...
► Show Spoiler

by Deuce Your spoiler lasted about half a second with me - I've been trying to figure this riddle out for a week...

Ok - so you've proven you're a better detective and a smarter person than me - what do you want, a medal?
Fine, then give yourself one!

;)

It seems to be that even if the last post in a topic is a normal written post, it won't appear in the Topic Preview if the first post in that topic is a link or tweet or image.
So it's the first post in a topic that determines everything about the Topic Preview - if the first post is a tweet, or image, or link, it then completely disqualifies that topic from the Topic Preview - forever. Because right now, the last post in the 'In Memoriam' topic is not a link or tweet or image, but it doesn't show up on the Topic Preview - seemingly because the first post in that topic is a tweet.

Thank you for solving that riddle.

Now you can work on this one: Why do we refer to pants in the plural? You can't have just one pant. Shirts, sweaters, jackets, etc. are always singular. But any garment worn below the waist (PAIR of pants, PAIR of underwear, PAIR of shorts) is always plural.
WHY??
Solve THAT, Mr. smarty pant(s)!

by ponchi101 Actually, you can say pant. It is accepted by Webster.
It is mostly in the US that "pants" is used, and indeed, it makes no sense. But that is something that we were talking about in a separate topic: how illogical the English Language is. There, we were referring to the pronunciation aspects, but, like all languages, there is no formality to them.
---0---
You got the TOPIC preview thing right. If the first one is a bbcode, all hope is lost.

by ponchi101 Dear all:
There is a new extension for phpBB which forces re-sizing of all images. The size is set by the admin of the site, but you can click on the image and it will pop up in LIGHTBOX mode, and you can move from one to the next.
I am not sure if people would like that. Some opinions would be welcomed ;)

by Suliso Would it be possible to increase avatar size from 6 kb to say 12 or 15? Very difficult to resize to 6kb...

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:00 pm Would it be possible to increase avatar size from 6 kb to say 12 or 15? Very difficult to resize to 6kb...
Done. Up to 12, Min 20x20 px, Max 90x90 px

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:09 pm
Suliso wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:00 pm Would it be possible to increase avatar size from 6 kb to say 12 or 15? Very difficult to resize to 6kb...
Done. Up to 12, Min 20x20 px, Max 90x90 px
Thanks a lot.

by glarange where do we play the Suicide Pool game?

by ponchi101
glarange wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:18 pm where do we play the Suicide Pool game?
Here:
viewforum.php?f=24
;)

Screenshot 2021-09-07 114636.jpg
-->
by ponchi101 Dear All:
A new POLLS extension has been added. It gives you: There are some other controls that admins can enable/disable.
Hope it is useful.

It looks like this:
Screenshot 2021-09-07 114636.jpg

by ptmcmahon General question...when looking at recent posts on the main screen, if I go to page 2 I get the next page of recent topics... but it still looks like page "1" is selected, and I can't go back to page 1 by clicking on it...that happening for anyone else?

by ponchi101 Let me keep and eye on that. Certainly not happening to me and right now I have so few recent topics I only have one page.
Will post you.

by ptmcmahon The ones I mean are on the homepage ... so you should be able to go to page 2, regardless of if they have been read or are unread.

by ponchi101 If you can post a screen capture we can check.

by ptmcmahon See if this works :) Attached my "page 1" and my "page 2" - on page 2 the "1" is still highlighted/selected so you can't go back to page 1 by clicking on it.

Not a big deal obviously can just "jump" to page 1 or reload site.

PS Page 2 is the first picture, page 1 the second of course :D

by ponchi101 Can you go to your UCP and switch it to DISPLAY ONLY UNREAD POSTS? I can see you have lots of pages that show up. Could be that we are reaching some limit... :?:

by ptmcmahon Mayhaps. Will try that and see what happens next time I have more than one page.

by Deuce
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:59 pm General question...when looking at recent posts on the main screen, if I go to page 2 I get the next page of recent topics... but it still looks like page "1" is selected, and I can't go back to page 1 by clicking on it...that happening for anyone else?
Yes, the same thing is happening for me - since the beginning. No matter what page of the 'recent posts' I'm on, it will always indicate I'm on Page 1. And when I'm on a page other than Page 1, I cannot click on the '1' to go back to Page 1 - I have to click on 'Board Index' to get back to Page 1.

As you say, there's an easy 'work-around'... and so there's no urgency to fix it, but it's good to let ponchi know that it's occurring.

by ponchi101 Please try to put the recent topics pages on the side. Let me know how that works.
I have it that way and it works fine. Maybe with the update to 3.3.3 this may be a bug, so I can report it.

by Deuce It was happening with me before the update.

Putting it on the side makes no difference - same thing happens.
I have it set to display 14 per page.

by ponchi101 Wonder if that could be. The default setting is 10, which I left that way since everybody can have her own setting.

by Deuce If I set it to 10 (which I just tried), there's no difference - still the same issue.

I notice that the high limit of this particular setting (number of recent topics to show) is 999. I think it's safe to say that no-one will ever set it to anywhere near that, as it's obviously not practical. Maybe if you set the upper limit to something like 40 or 50 (if you're able to), it might somehow resolve this issue?

If not, don't worry about it. As I said, I've noticed the issue since the beginning, and I didn't feel it was significant enough to mention, as the 'work-around' is easy. But when pt mentioned it, and asked if others are experiencing it, I just figured I'd let both of you know that it's happening with me, too.

by ptmcmahon
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:21 pm Can you go to your UCP and switch it to DISPLAY ONLY UNREAD POSTS? I can see you have lots of pages that show up. Could be that we are reaching some limit... :?:
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:52 am Please try to put the recent topics pages on the side. Let me know how that works.
I have it that way and it works fine. Maybe with the update to 3.3.3 this may be a bug, so I can report it.
Tried both of these options and same issue for me. Just now with only two pages total and in a different spot on the screen. :D

by ponchi101 I know by now you must have tried this but: different browser? I think you are using Chrome, Pt.
I am running my site with both Firefox and Edge. I can't think of anything else.

by ptmcmahon Same in IE, same in Firefox. Anyway, no biggie I can just go back to bookmark to go back to page 1 anyway.

by Deuce Was there a general problem connecting to the site overnight?
I couldn't connect - was getting 522 and 525 Errors.
I asked a friend to try - same result.

This also happened a few days ago, but only for a few minutes that time. This time, it was hours.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... 1#525error

by ponchi101 There seems to have been something like that. TOG and I were unable to connect to our server via FTP. Hostinger is no GODADDY, with servers all around.
Keep us posted, just to see how reliable the site is.

by texasniteowl Yes I couldn't connect either for hours. I tried around the time Medvedev/Tsitsipas started and even about 20 minutes ago it finally loaded but very very very slowly. Literally minutes to load a page. It did come right up quickly now though.

by skatingfan Yeah, I couldn't get on during the tennis overnight. Working well now.

by ponchi101 Hello.
I have installed an extension that I like, but maybe some of you may not. It is called LIGHTBOX and it will resize all images to a maximum of 500x500 pixels (largest dimension will prevail for the aspect ration). But, if you click on the image, it will enlarge it and will let you scroll, via arrows on the left and right, through all the images in THE PAGE, not only the post.
Hope you like it and if you don't, let me know. It is easily turned off (but not at user level).

by ponchi101 Because I have been working a bit more in our site, I have included a small BLOGS page, which is not totally linked to phpBB. The software does not support that integration.
The new blogs page is based on WORDPRESS which, in retrospect, should have been the base for our site. WP can integrate our phpBB site, as WP is also set in php and offers such integration.
Right now, I am the sole contributor to the BLOGS; you need to be registered. if you want to post blogs or even if you have your own site and want to link it to our board, just let me know, and you can either be a contributor to the new BLOGS AT TAT2.0 or we can link your site to ours.

Txs.

by Omess It looks like the forum no longer works on Tapatalk for mobile

by MJ2004 I’m on Tapatalk mobile.

by ponchi101
Omess wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:30 am It looks like the forum no longer works on Tapatalk for mobile
Hi Omess. The Forum is running in TAPATALK, as MJ says. Can you explain what problem you are having? I just checked the TAPATALK site and it tells me we are PUBLISHED, meaning we are up and running.
Let us know.

by Omess Ok it is an issue on my end then because it disappeared from my "homepage » and can’t find it when I search .

I will try d reinstalling

by Omess It is working now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by ponchi101 An update for those that are interested in this experiment.
Hostinger has upgraded our package to 100GB of storage. We are at 307MB, and that is because I am running the blogs and a separate site and those are actually heavier. We can expect that at that size of storage, we can post and write as much as we want.
Also, as a lot of out posts are links to other pages, we are doing great.
KYP.

by ponchi101 Although we have a few emojis, php supports most universal emojies. When you get tired of the ones we have or need something else to express yourself, this emoji cheat sheet may be of help:
https://www.webfx.com/tools/emoji-cheat-sheet/

Not all will work, but most will.

by JazzNU FYI, everything I've used from Emojipedia has worked fine here. ✔️👍🔥❤️

https://emojipedia.org/

by ptmcmahon Haven’t tried on a pc yet, but all weekend on phone my login isn’t being remembered. See tomorrow what it looks like on a computer.

by ptmcmahon Fine on my laptop today so must just be phone being weird.

by ponchi101 Are you login in via TAPATALK or are you using the website directly?
I would like for people that use TAPATALK to give the site a try directly from the URL. php is completely compatible with smartphones or tablets, and you get no distortion of sizes or anything (other than the scale).
Also, TAPATALK will not give you all the details. So, give it a go. If you wish.

by ptmcmahon Website directly. Have never done anything with TAPATALK.

by JazzNU FYI, I figured out a curse word I can post and it shows @ponchi. A variation, but definitely a curse word. :D

by ponchi101 There are no bans on curse words other that F*** and S***, and the always gray area in which a regular word is used offensively towards a fellow TAT2'er.
Slurs are automatically banned too, and of course, aiming one to a fellow TAT2'er will get you a warning, EVEN if the automatic banning switch's it to (slur).
And yes, I know. Of all the people censoring words, I am doing it? AITA?

by Suliso I'm now wondering how many slurs are there in American English worthy of being banned. Can't think of anything straight away other than the infamous "n-word"...

by dmforever
Suliso wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:29 pm I'm now wondering how many slurs are there in American English worthy of being banned. Can't think of anything straight away other than the infamous "n-word"...
I can think of a lot of others. They are equally offensive. The only difference is that they don't have as horrible of a history behind them. I don't know if that matters. What do y'all think? Also, does this refer to "banned" like from the dictionary, or from use here? I'm assuming it's the latter. Thanks.

Kevin

by ponchi101 It means from the forum here. Any of those words are immediately replaced by a selection I have made: (expletive) or (slur) will be the replacing string.
Of course, intent and context have to be taken into consideration. if anybody here is rude enough to use such a word as a direct offense to somebody else, the admins can look at the original post and we will determine if such a person needs to be warned or downright banned.
We are a small group and we know each other. I doubt that after all these years we are going to go that way, but one never knows when you will go crazy.
Also: let's enjoy the richness of language. You are welcomed to use "poppycock" anytime you want! ;)

by Deuce As I've mentioned, I think that keeping the statistics on the number of 'thanks' a person gives/receives is silly, and can lead to some unhealthy competitiveness...

That said, I am curious about how it works - because I have twice seen my number of 'thanks' received be cut. The first time I noticed it, the number only dropped by 5 or so. But this time, I was over 100 a few days ago, and it suddenly dropped to the low 80s sometime in the past few days.
I doubt that several people went back several weeks to systematically remove their 'thanks' to me. So how can this significant a drop be explained? I'm curious.

I still think that the statistics on number of 'thanks' given and received should be removed - while keeping the ability to 'thank'.

by ponchi101 I can't find a setting that would remove or cull "thanks" automatically. I have not paid attention to how many instances of thanks have been posted and, although there is a setting to reset all counters and remove all thanks, I have not activated them. They are a one time thing so I have stayed away from that.
If you say that your thanks counts have changed in such fashion, I really can't tell you what is happening there. You also have to remember our platform: phpBB is a bunch of people collaborating but with no coordination. The THANKS extension is designed by a third party so maybe there are some bugs in there. This certainly is not Xenforo or vBulletin so maybe indeed the counters go haywire. I will keep an eye on my counters to see if the same thing happens buy other than that, I am at a loss. Will KYP.

EDIT.
Ok. I think I figured it out. Several forums are set to be pruned automatically. Topics that have not been visited in a certain time get deleted. That pruning took place recently and the entire Aussie Open topic, as well as related ones, have been deleted. So all the thanks that you got there have been wiped out.
So it is not that some people went ungrateful, it is just that those topics are no longer here and the count has changed.
I think that is the reason.
I will increase the pruning period now that we have more GB's to use, up to six months. But I gather that we can do without Slams' comments from a year past.

by Deuce I guess that's it, as the only other explanation I can think of would be that several people, totaling about 20 'thanks', would have had to go back and search for their posts where they 'thanked' me, and remove the 'thanks' one by one. And I doubt that anyone - let alone several people - would actually go to that trouble for something so trivial.

On the subject of 'pruning'... is it really necessary to have threads automatically delete? A few weeks ago, you posted that we were only using 307 MB of a 100 GB total - which is less than 1%. If that's the case, it would seem that we could go several years without 'pruning' anything, and still have plenty of space.
Maybe it's not that straightforward - I don't know... I'm just going by those numbers.

I, personally, think it would be good if we could keep threads as long as possible - not because I want to keep my number of 'thanks'! :lol: , but because someone might be interested in revisiting, say, an Aussie Open thread a year later, and comparing some elements between the current tournament and the one which was played a year previous.

by ponchi101 I set up the pruning because I did not know how the forum would behave, system wise. We started with 20GB and Hostinger has increased it to 100GB now, so we seem to be in no problems regarding space. I have increased the pruning for Slams to 180 days, so we should be able to see what has happened in the recent Slams.
We are still even more exclusive than SW19 5AE; with our small membership I believe I will be handing over the torch for this when I won't be able to see the print with tri-focals and we will still have space. Just as an example: the sole other forum I am in (Mavicpilots, a forum for drone operators) has constantly 70 members on line and around 600 guests. Every time I go there it is like that. Total members is getting close to 10,000 and they have 7-8 new registrations per day. Of course, they are the premier drone forum and they do sell a lot (they have a lot of adds) so it runs very well. We, of course, are who we are: a small bunch of urchins that only like to hang with each other :D

by Deuce But if we have so much space (100 GB), and are using so little (300 MB), why is pruning necessary?
If we used 300 MB in the first 3 months, that translates to 1.2 GB per year. At that rate, we have over 80 years of space before we'd have to think about 'pruning', no?

Am I missing something?

by ponchi101 No. You math is correct. But...
I am using some space for a personal project. And I felt that some topics that are not visited again can be pruned. The forums that are pruned are: contest and tournaments. All others are not pruned as we visit, for example, the POLITICS topic on a very regular basis. But if we ever start a topic that really gets no more visits, pruning can be helpful.
I want to give it a little more time before I decide if this is even needed. I am still checking what quality of service Hostinger can give us. So far, they have been very good but we have had a couple of downtimes. I want to give them a full year to see how reliable they are.

by Deuce Ok, understood.
Thanks.

by texasniteowl technical question...I guess...what is the difference in "sent messages" vs. "outbox"? I was sending a message to 3mlm for Miami predictions. For the past several weeks, after I send my predictions, the sent message shows up in "sent messages." But for the one I just did for Miami, it is in the "outbox" and not "sent messages." Confused?

by ponchi101 I replied to you in the PREDICTIONS topic. However: messages sent via PM stay in the OUTBOX until the recipient reads them. Then they get moved to the SENT folder in your PM boxes.
That way you can edit or even delete messages prior to them being received.

by texasniteowl ahh! ok! thanks! that seems counter-intuitive since in some email programs they are in outbox until actually sent. so that didn't click for me.

quote1.jpg
The new double-bubble is the MULTIQUOTE. Clicking on it will start your quotes, with the post where you initially clicked the bubble being the first quote. This will give you a small box in YOUR lower right corner:
quote2.jpg
All the posts quoted will increase the count. When you finish selecting the posts to quote, click on the QUOTES(#) button and you can start composing your reply:
quote3.jpg
Hope this will be of use, and thanks to Deuce for finding this extension. It makes TAT2.0 better.
Enjoy! -->
by ponchi101 Hello.
A dear member found an extension on the web that allows for multiple quotes from different posts. It works like this:
You will now find that next to your regular menu on every post, at the top right corner, there is a new icon:
quote1.jpg
The new double-bubble is the MULTIQUOTE. Clicking on it will start your quotes, with the post where you initially clicked the bubble being the first quote. This will give you a small box in YOUR lower right corner:
quote2.jpg
All the posts quoted will increase the count. When you finish selecting the posts to quote, click on the QUOTES(#) button and you can start composing your reply:
quote3.jpg
Hope this will be of use, and thanks to Deuce for finding this extension. It makes TAT2.0 better.
Enjoy!

by Deuce That Multi-Quote feature works in a very similar way to the feature in the original TAT.
The main difference is that with this one, after you write and post your post with the multiple quotes, you must then close the Multi-Quote small box in the lower right hand corner (close it by simply clicking on the garbage pail).
If you don't close it, it retains the multiple quotes.

by ponchi101 We have updated to PHPBB 3.3.4. No new features have been included as it was meant to make the board run better in PHP 8.0. Please let us know if you see anything performing differently.
Thanks.

by JazzNU @ponchi, I have a quick suggestion. That block of text on the main page that directs people to forum rules and posting an intro of themselves? Add an additional line that is a shortcut link to the suicide pool portion of the forum and then take it off once each GS is completed. If the words "suicide pool" can be in caps and a different color text to draw additional attention to it, so much the better.

by texasniteowl I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but I'm assuming we are lacking a parser or some other technical code thing to do the bracket prediction contest for slams?

by ponchi101 The parser will simply take the NAME OF THE POSTER, and create a string with whatever that person posts, be it a players name (SP), the list for YCWJ, or bracket prediction.
It outputs a text print out, which you can easily copy paste and manipulate as you wish.
I can't tell if it will be of use to your needs.

by texasniteowl I don't know? I'm just referring to the contest where the full brackets were posted for the slams and contestants (or victims, depending on your point of view) would try to predict, and receive points for, the entire bracket for each slam. If I remember right, we just had to go through and place a check mark for the player we thought would win a match (and then from QF on, predict the number of games). So it could be that the form would be the hard part?

I'm not complaining. I know we're still getting used to things here. Just wondering if there are any plans for that to come back at some point. But maybe I'm the only one missing it! 😁

by dave g
texasniteowl wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:08 am I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but I'm assuming we are lacking a parser or some other technical code thing to do the bracket prediction contest for slams?
At this moment, as far as I know, we are only using the parser for the suicide draw pools. It is much easier to use a parser when gathering information from a large number of posts where there is only one piece of important information within the post. I doubt that either 3mlm or Togtdyalttai are using the parser for the prediction contest or YCWJ, but I would not know for sure.

by ponchi101 I never played the BRACKET PREDICTION, so I never knew how that one worked.
Maybe after we are done with RG we can start looking at a parser for that. Right now, I would not want to toy too much with the site as I have this penchant for destroying it without much effort.
If it was done in TAT1.0, it can technically be done here. If we can find somebody that can run it, because my level of expertise is not yet at that level.
And I know you are not complaining. Actually, thanks for that. It might be a fun project.

by dave g
texasniteowl wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:49 am I don't know? I'm just referring to the contest where the full brackets were posted for the slams and contestants (or victims, depending on your point of view) would try to predict, and receive points for, the entire bracket for each slam. If I remember right, we just had to go through and place a check mark for the player we thought would win a match (and then from QF on, predict the number of games). So it could be that the form would be the hard part?

I'm not complaining. I know we're still getting used to things here. Just wondering if there are any plans for that to come back at some point. But maybe I'm the only one missing it! 😁
The form was written by James7, who used a computer language out current site provider does not support. We have not heard from James7 since January. His last two posts were 1: his family had a birthday party for his 85-year-old grandfather, who afterwards contracted COVID, and 2: his dog had gotten very sick with something that sounded long-term or terminal. I send him a PM asking how he was in February; it is still in my outbox. I don't know if we will hear from him again. :(

by texasniteowl
dave g wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:14 am The form was written by James7, who used a computer language out current site provider does not support. We have not heard from James7 since January. His last two posts were 1: his family had a birthday party for his 85-year-old grandfather, who afterwards contracted COVID, and 2: his dog had gotten very sick with something that sounded long-term or terminal. I send him a PM asking how he was in February; it is still in my outbox. I don't know if we will hear from him again. :(
Thanks for that information. I was thinking I remembered it was James, but I wasn't 100% sure.

:cry: I haven't had a close family member with COVID thankfully, but I lost my beloved fur baby in December so he definitely has my sympathies.

by JazzNU
dave g wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:14 am The form was written by James7, who used a computer language out current site provider does not support. We have not heard from James7 since January. His last two posts were 1: his family had a birthday party for his 85-year-old grandfather, who afterwards contracted COVID, and 2: his dog had gotten very sick with something that sounded long-term or terminal. I send him a PM asking how he was in February; it is still in my outbox. I don't know if we will hear from him again. :(
Thanks for posting this. I've wondered about how him and his family are doing many times since he last posted.

by ptmcmahon When I was last talking to him late last year about predictions he seemed not in the best place. Hopefully all is well with him, but tennis contest were definitely near the bottom of the priority list.

by ptmcmahon My mobile problem has now followed to my (computer) browser....every time I load page I'm logged back out now. Sigh :)

by ponchi101 Let me see if I understand. You are logged in to the site, and when you navigate to a new page, it logs you out?
Or:
You are (for example) at the home page, you hit RELOAD, and it does, but you are logged out?
Or:
You are logged in. You let you computer go to sleep, and when you come back, and re-load, you are logged out?

The last case has happened to me, so I want to know so I can check why this is happening.

by JazzNU
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:00 pm My mobile problem has now followed to my (computer) browser....every time I load page I'm logged back out now. Sigh :)
Do you know how to delete the cookies for just one website on your browser? I'd do that. Anytime you have login issues with any site, it's the best solution to correct it. The cookies remaining can be and tend to be the cause of the repeated issues.

by Fastbackss Also, you're not using a VPN, correct?

by ptmcmahon Yeah I can delete the cookie on my pc...will see what happens.

I am on VPN when on browser, and have been for over a year now. Phone is not on VPN though. Who knows? :)

by ponchi101 Please try this too: if you are on W10, navigate to the site, go to one topic, stay there and close your lid, to set up "sleep" mode. It is when it happens to me, so I can check if it has something to do with sleep/hibernation.
Txs

by ptmcmahon
JazzNU wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:01 pm
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:00 pm My mobile problem has now followed to my (computer) browser....every time I load page I'm logged back out now. Sigh :)
Do you know how to delete the cookies for just one website on your browser? I'd do that. Anytime you have login issues with any site, it's the best solution to correct it. The cookies remaining can be and tend to be the cause of the repeated issues.
So far the cookie solution has worked. Thanks :)

Never thought to try on phone so trying it on that as well.

by ponchi101 Hello all.
A small event happened and I would like to see if you have had a similar experience. One post, and a subsequent post replying to that one, quoting it, were deleted. The admins here can see deleted posts (they are not really deleted but marked as such) and I can't even see the original ones.
If you have had something like this happening, please post it here. If you can tell us the topic and any other information, it would be very helpful.
I hope everything else in the forum is running well.

by JazzNU A lot of glitches in the last maybe hour, mostly not loading and just handing and then eventually getting the Error page (3 step Cloudflare page indicating it's just this site that wasn't communicating). It's happened since the Wimbledon banner has appeared at the top if that helps. Didn't have any issues earlier this morning when the banner was the regular one.

by ponchi101 Txs for letting me know it was not only down here.
I took it down but the glitches were happening before that. The banner is a simple .jpg so no reason for it to affect the loading up of the site.
Let's give it a couple of hours. Our server is in Miami, so maybe way too much traffic right now with the tragedy down there.

by ptmcmahon Ugh...back to having to log in each time again, even with deleting cookies. (And trying the delete cookies button on site!) :)

by dryrunguy
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:11 pm Ugh...back to having to log in each time again, even with deleting cookies. (And trying the delete cookies button on site!) :)
Yup. Me, too. Fifth time today and I've clicked "Remember Me" every time.

by JazzNU Interesting. I'm having server issues today (none right now, about an hour and a half ago it was constant), but not the login issue.

Are you using a PC or MAC? Which browser? Is the browser you are using updated? If you try a different browser, does the same login issue persist?

In terms of deleting cookies. Hopefully this is what you're doing if you're using Chrome, but if not, try this AND close all TAT tabs before you start-

Settings -> Cookies and Other Site Data->See All Cookies and Site Data

Then all your cookies will be listed for everything on your browser, and there will be a search box on the upper right hand side. Search for "talkabout" and every cookie that is associated with the site should appear. It may be more than one listing, like one address might have 5 cookies, another might have just 1. I delete all that might be associated with whatever site I'm having login problems on.

If you forgot to close TAT tabs before doing this, make sure you don't use those tabs after you do this, it'll just replicate the issue again. Close out of them. Start on a new tab and login

by ptmcmahon Trying Firefox (worst today), Chrome (almost as bad), and IE - IE actually seems to be doing ok for keeping me logged in today. Went to "About Chrome", now it says updating. Firefox says it is up to date. Using a work PC, which I certainly rule out as the issue, although I still have never been able to get my mobile browser to stay logged in.

Last couple of days have been especially bad as it forgets my login while still on the board, clicking on a new topic for example.

How you described is how I was trying to delete cookies in Chrome. Went to "Cookies and Site Data" and manage sites in Firefox to delete in there.

by ponchi101 Sorry to hear all this, PT. In my case, it did happen a few times when I would close my Laptop and come back and open it. It seemed that the "sleep" mode caused that problem. Now, it is gone. It has not happened to me in weeks.
Let me think a bit more about it. I will contact the phpBB people to see if anybody is going through this too.

by JazzNU @ptmcmahon and @dry, see if this helps at all.

Try repeating the delete cookie steps, but deleting anything related to TAT and also search for "php" and delete anything close to phpbb and try again, see if that improves it.

I am completely stumped about the phone not holding the login.

by ponchi101 Ok, PT. You are not alone. The phpBB forum has a topic on that. Some people were experiencing it.
It seems it was mostly limited to iPhones and Safari, but there were other people too. So no pattern.
One thing to try: are you logging to https://talkabouttennis2. plus the come (I am not writing it so it will not create the link) or are you going https://www plus the rest? The www say something about the cookies, it seems.
Again, people at the phpBB forum were also stumped. So let me know.

by mmmm8 I used to have this issue on TAT 1.0 on my work computer and it was because of security settings our IT department imposed - I would get logged out of some sites but not all sites if I exited the browser. Of course, if you're having this issue on your personal phone as well as the work laptop, shouldn't be related.

by ptmcmahon Will test some of this out tonight if I have time...appreciate people looking into it, it's getting to the "annoying" stage :)

by ptmcmahon For what it's worth...using the old family laptop. Was still logged in despite me not using TAT on it for a couple of months. Has not logged out no matter what I click on. So definitely can't rule out just my work PC deciding to kick me off TAT repeatedly.

by ponchi101 I have received this mail from our server provider:
COPY
Dear,
We will perform a scheduled server maintenance on 06/09/2021 (6th of September, 2021) from 08:00 to 09:00 UTC time.
Your website or web application will be affected with a downtime of around 60 minutes.
Reason: We will be upgrading software in order to improve the performance.

Respectfully,

The Hostinger Team
END COPY

Therefore, we will be down for around 1 hour on September 6th, 4-5 AM EDT.
Suicide pools should not be interrupted because at that time the few people that will remain will be probably being slaughtered, but, remember, if this downtime extends more than usual, follow instructions and e-mail your pick.
If anything else I will keep you posted.

by Fastbackss Did something update today?

The main forum screen looked different (did not earlier today)

by ponchi101 Can you be more specific? Hostinger (not us) updated software yesterday, but I am not noticing. Maybe you are seeing something else.
txs

by Fastbackss The "new posts" on top of the forum menu have doubled from 5 (ish - I admit I never counted) to 10. Also the font appears to be smaller (and different)

by ponchi101 Ok. I see. Recent posts are a personal settings, but I did touch a few settings today as we were having a question about POLLS. So, you can customize that setting in your User Control Panel and decide where to have it. I have mine on the side, and have it set at 7 posts, which are only the unread ones.
Hope it is not bothering you :thumbsup:

by Fastbackss Nope!

And I'll mess with it. Thank you!

by skatingfan Looks like the chat section has disappeared, and the forum front page is condensed. I like the new look.

by Deuce Things in my 'Recent Topics' got screwed up this afternoon (Tuesday). Some recent posts were no longer appearing in my 'Recent Topics'.
Even now, this topic (technical questions) does not appear at all in my 'Recent Topics', even though 'skatingfan' posted here only about 20 minutes ago. So it should be at the top - or very near the top - of my 'Recent Topics' box, but it is not listed at all.

These omissions from my 'Recent Topics' seem random. Some topics from the 'Grand Slam' section are listed in my 'Recent Topics' box, and others which should be there (according to the time of the last post in each topic) are not listed in my 'Recent Topics' box at all.

It's bizarre, and I can't figure out any particular pattern to the omissions. But it was during Leylah's match that this all began - suddenly some topics which were in my 'Recent Topics' box just disappeared from there. I can still find them in their particular sections (like 'Grand Slams'), but they no longer appear in my 'Recent Topics' box.

That's the best way I can describe what's happening.

EDIT - (And, again - I just submitted this post and checked my 'Recent Topics' box, and this topic is not there. I refreshed the page several times to be sure - it made no difference. Normally, after I submit a post, it shows up at the top of my 'Recent Topics' box. But that's not happening now - but only with some topics. Bizarre.)

by Deuce I've just noticed that part of the issue may be that when I click on a topic in my 'Recent Topics' box, and so read the most recent posts there, when I go back to the 'Board Index', that topic is no longer listed in my 'Recent Topics' box.
This was never the case before - regardless of whether I had read the most recent posts or not, all the topics with the most recent posts remained listed in my 'Recent Topics' box. I liked it much better that way.

I've cleared all my 'cookies' from this site, and it makes no difference.

I've gone to the 'user control panel' to see if the update or whatever automatically changed the settings for my 'Recent Topics' box... but I cannot find any settings for the 'Recent Topics' box. I know the settings used to be there - at least to set it to 'on the top' or 'on the side' - but I don't see that anymore. I've looked for 30 minutes in all of the 'compartments' of the 'user control panel', and I see absolutely nothing related to 'Recent Topics'.
Was that removed for some reason in the update?

Remember, ponchi, that we determined several months ago that your 'user control panel' is different from ours - with different settings - because you're an administrator.
For example - you wrote above: "Recent posts are a personal settings, but I did touch a few settings today as we were having a question about POLLS. So, you can customize that setting in your User Control Panel and decide where to have it. I have mine on the side, and have it set at 7 posts, which are only the unread ones."
Well, I now don't appear to have any of these settings. I see no settings to place it on the side or top, I see no settings for the number to be displayed, and I see no settings to display read or unread. I see no settings at all related to Recent Topics. If I could see such settings, I would 'play' with them to see if I can undo what was done during Leylah's match.

by Deuce I found this here:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... 2/faq/2216
The settings on the bottom for 'Recent Topics' - I no longer have that in my 'user control panel'. I believe that's where the problem lies.

by ponchi101 My apologies to all.
The RECENT topics menu is indeed not showing for lots of people. The contributor of that extension has issued an update, which I believe would be the best way to solve that problem. However, as installation is ALWAYS tricky, I would like to know if you prefer that I install it ON MONDAY, after the USO is done. Were something to happen these days, I gather that the people still alive in the SP's would have perfect grounds for prosecution, and the rest of us are having chats and talks about tennis.
Your opinions are welcome (actually, desired). And again, sorry for this bug. I really can't find what I did that put that extension out of synch.

by Suliso I vote for Monday. Just in case.

by JTContinental I also vote for Monday

For the record, I also am having the issue of the topic I most recently made a comment not appearing in the sidebar

by ti-amie I vote Monday as well. Every now and then I see the sidebar.

by Deuce Is there a way to reset things and simply revert to how things were before the bug messed things up? Like similar to Windows Restore, where you can restore things to the last time when everything was properly functional.
If that's possible, it would seem to be the best thing to do now - and then deal with the various updates, etc. when the U.S. Open is finished.

by ponchi101 I already tried the RESET function. It is not working.
I can do a restore but it includes data. We would miss our posts from the last several days, from the point that has all capabilities running.
Update will have to be, on Monday.

by patrick Monday.

Originally, I thought Tuesday due to the fact that the ATP final would be discussed a lot especially if Djokovic wins 21.

by ponchi101 I can do it late Monday ;) There is NFL at that time.

by skatingfan I'm noticing that the sidebar only shows up if their are posts I haven't read. If I've read everything then the sidebar disappears.

by ponchi101
skatingfan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:04 am I'm noticing that the sidebar only shows up if their are posts I haven't read. If I've read everything then the sidebar disappears.
That is part of a possible setting. If there are UNREAD posts, they are in the RECENT TOPICS, otherwise the bar disappears. It is customizable.
So, for you, the bar is working.

by ponchi101 Hello all.
As you know, I recently went over my head tried to be smarter than I am screwed up the forum's database did something with the forum. For several of you, you were no able to customize the RECENT TOPICS ribbon, which meant it was not showing for you, or you were not able to customize it. I have installed a new version, and found out the little toggle button which I should not have clicked the settings so you can restore your settings to your preferences. I should be taken off the command of this forum apologize for that, but I hope that you can again customize the Recent Topics ribbon to your pleasure.
PLEASE. IF IT IS NOT WORKING FOR YOU, DON'T PM ME: POST A DESCRIPTION OF YOUR PROBLEM HERE, WITH A CAPTION IF POSSIBLE, BECAUSE IF IT IS NOT WORKING FOR YOU, IT IS NOT WORKING FOR OTHERS. I can "usurp" your profiles (meaning, I can navigate the forum as if I were you, which is scary enough as it is, )but that function has limitations. I rather hear from you.

NEW FEATURE.
We have a separation now between TOPICS, ANNOUNCEMENTS and STICKIES. To recap:
Topics are what your are used to.
Stickies: these will NOT BE PRUNED, no matter what happens. Both admins can prune them (if you want to) and the original poster can delete them, but the good thing is that they stick out and are easily seen,
ANNOUNCEMENTS. If you want to post a topic that will expire in a determined time, this is the type. You can set for how long you want that to run. I will start using that more frequently.

Again, sorry for the recent inconveniences, and I hope the forum is working better now before you demand that Tog takes over. Please let me know how things are looking. :thumbsup:

by Deuce I now have my settings back for the 'Recent Topics' box, and I can set it to show all recently posted in topics, not just the unread ones. In that sense, it is like it was before the bug messed it up last week.
But...

Before last week's bug messed things up, when I clicked on a topic within the 'Recent Topics' box, I was taken directly to the first unread post in that topic.
Now, when I click on a topic within the 'Recent Topics' box, I am always taken to post #1 in the topic. From there, I can click on 'First Unread Post' to get to the first post that I've not yet read... but previously, I did not have to make this extra step - I was immediately taken to the first unread post when I clicked on the topic.

I've looked in the User Control Panel for some sort of setting whereby I could put it back to the way it was, but I haven't found any such setting.
Have I missed something?

Screenshot 2021-09-13 215215.jpg
-->
by ponchi101 The title should take you to the FIRST POST of the topic.
The ICON should take you to the FIRST UNREAD post.
The red arrow takes you to the LAST post.
Screenshot 2021-09-13 215215.jpg

by Deuce Ok, thanks.
But I swear that, prior to the bug last week, I was clicking on the topic title in the 'Recent Posts' box, and that always took me directly to the first unread post. I never clicked on the icon before.
And once I had seen the first unread post in the topic, if I clicked on the topic title within the 'Recent Posts' box again a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time, etc., it would take me directly to the last post in the topic.
I thought that was the default setting, because I don't recall changing anything with those functions.

I suppose I can achieve almost the same thing now - just via a different path (clicking the icon now instead of the title to get to the first unread post) - so I'll just have to get used to clicking the icon, I guess.

by patrick Why is mchat at top of page?

by atlpam
patrick wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:21 pm Why is mchat at top of page?
That happened to me as well, but it is easy to move it from the User Control Panel.

by ponchi101
patrick wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:21 pm Why is mchat at top of page?
Because, in typical management fashion, the person in charge of this website should NOT be in charge of this website (get it? Management?) and while I was fooling around, I did something that I don't what was (management) and I had to disable the mChat and enable it again, And when I enabled it, the default is on top.
Got to UCP, and you will find a mChat tab, and there you can switch it back to the bottom.
Sorry,
The Management :cry:

by JazzNU The settings were reset, so anything you changed previously you need to set again. Mchat was always at the top unless you took it off (I'm guessing most of us did). Other things you may have set, like the number of posts displayed, also reset.

Profile->Board Preferences will change most things back for you, for mChat, go to that tab and click "No" for "display on index page"

by ponchi101 Dear all.
phpBB has released an update to 3.3.5. I will update that on WEDNESDAY, as we have predictions running and I do not want to interrupt somebody's picks.
Will post you after it has been changed. The update is simply for bug fixes, so you will not see anything much different.

by ptmcmahon Not sure why but lately none of my devices are logging out of TAT (iphone, work pc etc.)

by ponchi101 Ok, just to be sure. You are not being able to LOG OUT? As opposed to LOGGING YOU OUT when you don't want to?

by ptmcmahon None of my devices are logging me out when I don't want them to....ie the thing I was complaining for months about seems to no longer be a problem. :) IE I am staying logged in when I close browser, which is what I want.

by ponchi101 Ok. It was happening for other phpBB forums around the web, so maybe they fixed that bug. I will do the update tomorrow Wednesday, so that should make it more stable.

by ponchi101 Dear All.
I was able to run the update.
However, as you know, at times I am still lost with this issue. So, if you find something different or that is not working, PLEASE COME TO THIS TOPIC and post whatever deficiencies you are seeing. I hope there are none.
Keep me posted, thanks for your patience. :tatrocks:

by Deuce We have more 'bots' watching us now - not just google and bing anymore.
At least 2 more 'bots' with bizarre names I've never seen before have been added.

by ponchi101 The BOTS, in our case, help us. They keep track that we are a community of 250 people, of which about 20 interact daily. That makes us very unappealing for sales and such. We have 49 bots/spiders, of which only 6 are activated (Google, Bing, the new Semrush, Baidu and Ahref. The Yahoo bot was deactivated, but we need those in order to be findable on the web. Otherwise, we will not be listed in their search engines).
I know that, collectively, we are a hermit site (unappealing), of late 20's to old users (ditto), talking about an obscure subject (ditto) that almost never click on links that lead to other sites (because we delete them). So the bots basically tell the world: skip these people. They buy NOTHING, and are interested in very little.

by the Moz Is there a way to 'turn off' the has & been thanked count in our signature?

by ponchi101
the Moz wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 pm Is there a way to 'turn off' the has & been thanked count in our signature?
It can be turned ON/OFF but on a global aspect. It is not set up individually in the UCP.

by Deuce
the Moz wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 pm Is there a way to 'turn off' the has & been thanked count in our signature?
I, too, would prefer that this disappears, as I see no positive purpose to 'keep score' of the number of 'thanks', and feel it can only lead to some sort of unhealthy competition - even if it's a silent one.
If it's possible to separate the two, I'd like to retain the 'thank' function as it is, and the notifications when someone thanks us - that's all fine - but lose the statistical count under everyone's name, as I feel it serves no positive purpose.

by ponchi101 Only for halloween week, we will have Fred the Bat chasing your cursor. It does nothing more than that.
If you find it annoying, I can disable him. But that comes with a curse (to him/her that makes that call ;) )

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:06 am Only for halloween week, we will have Fred the Bat chasing your cursor. It does nothing more than that.
If you find it annoying, I can disable him. But that comes with a curse (to him/her that makes that call ;) )
I think it's cute for the season and great that it's only a week. And since it's only on the forum Index page, any annoyance is hopefully short-lived for anyone.

by skatingfan As long as it's not some sort of bug - I was about to ask.

by mmmm8
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:06 am Only for halloween week, we will have Fred the Bat chasing your cursor. It does nothing more than that.
I thought it was very cute. They tell you not to name things you don't want to get too attached too, though! :)

by JazzNU I like the Christmas lights and snow (even if I scared myself when I accidentally scrolled over one unknowingly).

by Fastbackss Ha! I hadn't yet scrolled over one.

I am sure I will get plenty due to their proximity to the unread posts button

by Deuce The snow/lights thing is cute... but it eats up my CPU massively (95%).
I wish these things would come with the option for each user to turn them on and off as they choose.

Screenshot 2021-12-01 094214.jpg
-->
by ponchi101 Because I activated this setting late at night (I wanted it to greet people as today is Dec 1st), I did not include these instructions.
As some have found out, the lights are smashable. Please don't worry, your PC/Mac has not exploded ;)
The setting can be personalized individually. Go to:
1. User Control Panel
2. Board Preferences (third tab)
3. Edit Global Settings (should be the initial default)
4. Slightly to the bottom, you can decide on each setting individually: the hat, the snow, the lights.
Hope you will enjoy it, and that you will have a lovely season :santa:
Screenshot 2021-12-01 094214.jpg

by MJ2004 That was fun. Do I get a prize for knocking out all the lights?

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:45 pm The snow/lights thing is cute... but it eats up my CPU massively (95%).
I wish these things would come with the option for each user to turn them on and off as they choose.
My first thought when I saw the snow (didn't see the lights) was that I had developed a bunch of eye floaters. I was sort of concerned. Then I saw the lights... and then my cursor accidentally swept over them and that was cool. :)

by mmmm8 I'm finding smashing the lights quite terapeutic.

by ti-amie I just smashed every one of the lights. That really felt good.

by ponchi101
MJ2004 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:39 pm That was fun. Do I get a prize for knocking out all the lights?
You get a glass of our fine, 100% Venezuelan Rum based eggnog, straight on the rocks and with a pinch of cinnamon ;)
I thought I was weird for popping a few lights now and then :D . Makes me happy that it is a fun add-on.

by ti-amie It's been years since I've had a very good egg nog. Is it available in the US? So many companies will ship you your beverage of choice now.

And I've broken all of the lights several times. What?

by ponchi101 In Venezuela there is one brand that is simply the traditional one (I am talking eggnog here). It is simply called PONCHE CREMA, and it the traditional drink for Xmas. Nothing else will do. People will have their own home-made, some people will friendlily share theirs, but it is just never the same.
We joke that it is like a home hotdog, or a street hotdog. The one at home is always nice. But it can't compare with the one from the street.

by ptmcmahon
ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:30 am And I've broken all of the lights several times. What?
Glad I'm not the only one!

by Deuce Thanks. I turned off the snow, which I figured was the greatest CPU offender, and it's fine now.

by Deuce Not hugely important - but something that may be useful if anyone attempts to search for something within the forum...
I've noticed that the 'Search' function in the upper right of each page (within the banner) does not work if the 'smashable lights' are enabled. I had to disable the lights in order to use the 'Search' function from there.

by ponchi101 Thanks. Indeed it didn't as long as the therapy smashable lights are enabled.
I moved the search box to the NAV BAR, where it will remain until after Xmas.

by ti-amie They are indeed therapy lights.

New_menu1.jpg
The quote is evident and has been enabled for a while. But the new three dots give you some options:
New_menu2.jpg
The DEFINE option may be of use:
New_menu3.jpg
The menu has several other functions that are useful (I hope)

SORRY. This feature is part of EDGE, not the forum. -->
by ponchi101 I really don't know when this was installed, but:
If you highlight a word (or a stretch of them) you will not get both a QUOTE option and a small three dots menu:
New_menu1.jpg
The quote is evident and has been enabled for a while. But the new three dots give you some options:
New_menu2.jpg
The DEFINE option may be of use:
New_menu3.jpg
The menu has several other functions that are useful (I hope)

SORRY. This feature is part of EDGE, not the forum.

by ponchi101 Just for further therapy.
I slowed down the rate of the snowfall, as it was indeed consuming some CPU power, and increased the size, which is the way I like real snow: slow and fluffy.
Further therapeutic possibilities are enhanced as the snow now follows YOUR cursor. I gather it is all part of somebody's master plan to make us as dull as possible (I am way ahead of you all, so I should know).

by ptmcmahon That Christmas banner causing anyone else issues? Maybe just because I’m on my phone but it is really hard to get log in button to show up :) I hit login and it pops up the. Disappears.

by ponchi101 Ok, I did not know that. Are you going straight to the site through your phone browser, or are you going via Tapatalk?
I will most likely disable the banner (Xmas has passed, after all) but I was thinking of one for New Year's. Let me know.

by ptmcmahon Phone browser. I didn’t get logged out today so didn’t have to try to log in again today. Either way, not a big deal,guessing will be fine on my work computer when I’m back on it next week.

by JazzNU There is no General Question thread under Predictions, but every thread is started by 3mlm, so I didn't want to just start something to ask this but wasn't sure where to post. But I'm curious if we're doing Predictions for 2022 and if so, when it would start?

by JazzNU
ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:21 am That Christmas banner causing anyone else issues? Maybe just because I’m on my phone but it is really hard to get log in button to show up :) I hit login and it pops up the. Disappears.
I don't know what was causing the issue, but did have trouble logging in recently on the mobile site. I hadn't visited on my phone in a while, typically I'm already logged in if I visit it on there. My solution was to check the IP address of my account page on a laptop browser, typed it directly into the mobile browser, so it went directly to the login page, and no issues after that.

by Deuce For the past few days, there has been two 'Search' boxes at the top of each page.
There's no harm done, and it doesn't cause any problems - but just letting you know.

by ponchi101 I noticed that about two weeks ago and when I deleted one, the system crashed. After fixing, there was only one but now is, as you say, two search boxes.
I will drop the Xmas banners and such after tomorrow, and I will look into it. In the meantime, as you say, it is not generating any problems so I will leave them up. No need to crash the board today.
Thanks.

by Deuce I just went to take a look at the thread for Indian Wells... and, although it was played only 3 months ago, the thread was no longer there (under ATP/WTA Tournaments).
The only tournaments listed are the ones currently being played.
Similarly, the only threads in the 'Grand Slams' section are related to the current Australian Open. Everything from previous Majors has been deleted - including the U.S. Open, which was a mere 4 months ago (and provoked a lot of posts due to the magical runs of Leylah and Emma).

Is there a reason for deleting threads for past tournaments? I thought I read at some point that the threads would be kept for at least one year after they were created - or after the last post in the thread was made - one or the other.
And you did say recently that we are using much less of our capacity than you anticipated, which means that you won't have to delete the threads you thought you'd have to delete.

It's enjoyable to sometimes go back and read about previous tournaments. I was hoping that they'd be retained, as they are in most other forums (and because we have the space to retain them).
At the very least, can previous tournaments be put in some sort of 'Archive' section, where they would remain accessible to read, but no new posts would be permitted?

by ponchi101 The reason is that after our 1 year anniversary, I increased the pruning to 365 days, but I forgot that we have separate forums for Grand Slams and ATP/WTA events. I did that for Grand slams, but forgot about the others. So the regular tour events were still set up at 30 days, and they were pruned a short while ago.
So: my mistake. I increased them all to 1 year now, meaning they will be pruned after one year of zero activity (no posting and not browsing).
Sorry about that.

by Deuce Ok, thanks...

So that means the reason that the last U.S. Open has disappeared from the Grand Slam section is because you only increased the time to 1 year at the beginning of December (1st anniversary), and the U.S. Open was already deleted by then?

I assume that the 1 year also applies to the 'Country Cups' section - is that the case?

What about all of the other sections - basically everything else... is there a limit as to how long they remain? Are they set to one year, as well, or less, or more?

Thanks.

by ponchi101 I have set WTA/ATP and Country events to 365 days. Grand Slams, as they carry a bit more importance, I set at 720. It means they will be pruned after those intervals of NO ACTIVITY whatsoever.

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:45 am I have set WTA/ATP and Country events to 365 days. Grand Slams, as they carry a bit more importance, I set at 720. It means they will be pruned after those intervals of NO ACTIVITY whatsoever.
Ok, good stuff.

Is there a time limit to all the other sections as to when they are deleted? (basically everything other than the subforums of Grand Slams, WTA/ATP Tournaments, and Country Cups)

by ponchi101 No. I gathered that most of our activity would be in the tennis forums. The ones that will remain in a shorter period of pruning will be the contests, which are set at 180 days. I still say we do not need to know the picks for the SP on day 4. I guess.

by ponchi101 To our TAPATALK users. TAPATALK notified me that the plug in we are using is old, and needs to be updated. Please let me know if indeed TAPATALK is not working.
If it is not, I will update ASAP. But I need some input.

by ponchi101 As of the time of this post, no tweets are being loaded on the page. I suspect it actually be Twitter, not us, but as I use EDGE I wonder if I have done something to my settings.
Anybody else?

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:34 am As of the time of this post, no tweets are being loaded on the page. I suspect it actually be Twitter, not us, but as I use EDGE I wonder if I have done something to my settings.
Anybody else?
I can see tweets loading properly.

by Deuce A couple of weeks ago, tweets were not loading for me in any of the threads for about 24 hours. But it was just for that period of time. Since then, it's been fine - including now.

by ponchi101 Hello.
It has been now almost a week since phpBB.com issued 3.3.7, a release to correct 3.3.6. In .6, there were some problems for some users that could not be able to access specific subforums for which they were registered. In our case, it would have meant that, for example, the contest staff would not be able to access that sub-forum, which would have created considerable problems.
Although it seems that 3.3.7 is stable (after one week of no issues, one could say so), our 3.3.5 is currently working well. I should still update but I have a constrain here: my internet connection in Colorado is very poor, and I would need to upload a considerable amount of software to our host. That connection could be easily interrupted, so I have decided that, as things are going well, we can wait until I return to Bogota and have a more reliable link. That will be in about two weeks.
So, surf on, and I will post you on when I will update us to 3.3.7.
Hope all is well,
P

by ponchi101 Dear all.
We have updated to 3.3.7, and it seems to be working well. However, as we have uploaded a serious amount of extensions, I am not sure if all of them will be working well. So, as always, keep an eye on the functionality of the board, and let us know if anything is not as before.
CONTEST STAFF. It would be greatly appreciated if you run the SP Parser and give it a test-run. The picks for the Aussie are still there and although it seems to be working well (and it is in the same location) I would like confirmation before May starts, as RG will be by the end of it.
Keep us posted on possible changes and glitches, so we can check if everything is alright.

by dave g
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:49 pm Dear all.
We have updated to 3.3.7, and it seems to be working well. However, as we have uploaded a serious amount of extensions, I am not sure if all of them will be working well. So, as always, keep an eye on the functionality of the board, and let us know if anything is not as before.
CONTEST STAFF. It would be greatly appreciated if you run the SP Parser and give it a test-run. The picks for the Aussie are still there and although it seems to be working well (and it is in the same location) I would like confirmation before May starts, as RG will be by the end of it.
Keep us posted on possible changes and glitches, so we can check if everything is alright.
The SP Parser appears to be working just fine.

by ashkor87 My wifi blocks this site, it is not my antivirus...I can access it only by turning off wifi and switching to mobile data..is something wrong with the security certificate?

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:51 am My wifi blocks this site, it is not my antivirus...I can access it only by turning off wifi and switching to mobile data..is something wrong with the security certificate?
How are you accessing it? As a straight access (i.e. you put in the address) or are you accessing via a proxy site, i.e. tapatalk? The people from tapatalk has informed users that the phpbb plug in needs to update, but as nobody has said anything, I left it as it was, as that plug in is a bit complex.
Also. can you try accessing via a laptop/pc? Check if it is indeed the wifi or some mobile setting?
Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.

by ashkor87 I access it directly...doesn't work on laptop unless I switch to another isp...it could be a problem with the isp..have complained several weeks ago, nothing has been done...

by JazzNU
ashkor87 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:51 am My wifi blocks this site, it is not my antivirus...I can access it only by turning off wifi and switching to mobile data..is something wrong with the security certificate?
Not sure what the problem is enough to help, but the security certificate is valid and current (I just verified that it is), you can view it in the URL details most likely through your browser.

Not sure if there is anything else you use that could be interfering, but I'd check there too. For instance, I use an ad blocker that can cause problems on certain sites.

by ponchi101 I checked on two laptops I have, and my phone. Sorry to say it seems like it is a problem on your side. Especially if you can access via mobile data.
Let me see if somebody has reported anything like than in phpBB.
Add blockers are sometimes tricky, but we don't have adds in our site, so there should be no issues there.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:50 pm I checked on two laptops I have, and my phone. Sorry to say it seems like it is a problem on your side. Especially if you can access via mobile data.
Add blockers are sometimes tricky, but we don't have adds in our site, so there should be no issues there.
Yeah, it's never been a problem on this site. But I have had it cause unexpected errors on others, so just thought I'd mention.

Another idea - if you run any scripts, it could be that there is an interference. At least for me, if a script is in use on the site, there will be a notification symbol in the menu of how many scripts are active on any given page

And yes @ponchi I checked wifi and data as well. No issue for me.

by ashkor87 Thank you for checking..and rechecking..must be my Isp then...

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:50 pm I checked on two laptops I have, and my phone. Sorry to say it seems like it is a problem on your side. Especially if you can access via mobile data.
trying on the laptop.. it seems to be working now, didnt last week.. anyway, thank you all again

by ashkor87 got fixed, thanks.. something about adding an external DNS server had to be done..
thanks again for trying so many times!

by ponchi101 Well, you are welcome Ashkor but.... I really did not do too much :)
Just in case it happens again. The addition of the external DNS server was done by your ISP, or did you do it yourself? If it was you, can you explain a bit so we can have it here in the technical topic for other people that may have the same problems?

by ashkor87 The isp did it..have to add 88.88.88.88 in the DnS server address, that is all

by ponchi101 Hello Gang.
I believe (you know, a big maybe) that the update to 3.3.8 was successful. The update was solely to correct some new features and a couple of bugs by the phpBB people, who had to correct some bugs from 3.3.7, which corrected bugs (major ones) from 3.3.6, which corrected bugs (minor) from 3.3.5, which... have you ever been around programmers? Yes, that's how they work.
Anyway, I would very much appreciate if you can inform me, VIA THIS TOPIC, if you see anything odd with the forum, regarding functionality or performance. That way I can look into it.

I took the opportunity to also install and enable a new extension that produces RANDOM images in our heading. You know that as much as I like phpBB, I find that it lacks a certain level of aesthetics and elegance. I mean, it is a website board, but at times it seems, visually, a bit cold and mundane to me.
I do not have the skills to change the entire structure to make it more artistic, but I do have 1,000's of photos from around the world, so I wanted to see if I can make the header more colorful. If there are some "shots" (I am only loading segments of my shots, or otherwise they would overtake the entire forum) that you dislike, let me know. More can be loaded.
Keep me posted,
P

by ti-amie Great to see the new NASA pics in the rotation!

by Deuce Is there a way to disable the random images in the heading?
I looked through the User Control Panel, and did not find an option to turn it off.

I can no longer see most of the links under the heading (Quick Links, Board Index, Welcome Centre, etc.). And I use the 'Board Index' link often.
I can only begin to see those links if I reduce the size of the page to the point where I cannot read the writing anymore.
I am using the 'PS4' theme, and it's the rectangular PS4 logo that is blocking the links I mentioned. I never had this problem before - even when you change the heading for the Majors, everything was fine. Until now.

I don't want to change from the PS4 theme. I've tried all the available themes several times, and that is the only one that lays things out the way that I want, and where I can easily distinguish the separation of posts, etc.
I also have an extension whereby I change the colours of the entire forum - I change it to match the next Major tournament coming up (much like the options we used to have in TAT 1.0 where we had themes in the colours of the 4 Majors, but this time I do it myself with the extension. So there are several reasons I want to stay with the PS4 theme.

I'm using Vivaldi browser, as I have been from the start of TAT 2.0.

If you can make a way to render the random images in the header optional, I think that would work, as I've never had this problem before, as I said.

by Deuce Here's a screenshot with the page size set to 98%, which is the size I've always had it without problem. (It's predominantly blue because the U.S. Open is the next Major)...

by ponchi101 The random_banner function is designed to be used with the default PRO SILVER theme, or any of its variations. If you use PS4, if will cause the problems you see because the banner will overlap areas of other themes.
And no, it is not customizable. It is a global setting.
I will wait for other people to comment on whether they like it or not, and then decide, based on their opinions, whether they like this new banner feature or want it gone.
The PS4 theme is a fine one, but most official features of phpBB run in pro-silver, so that one will not support them all. I felt it was an experiment in the beginning.

by texasniteowl Anyone have suggestions on what I can check to get twitter links to display? For example, in the tiny thread, ti-amie posted a lot of twitter links. they don't display on the page. I have to click on each one manually which opens it on a new tab.

windows, firefox, disabled my pop-up blocker with no change.

by ponchi101 Can you test on another browser? I also run W10/Firefox and I have no issues.
Looking into it.

Screenshot 2022-08-11 163827.jpg
Let me know. -->
by ponchi101 Try disabling tracking protection in FF:
Screenshot 2022-08-11 163827.jpg
Let me know.

by texasniteowl to be honest, I'm surprised. I launched chrome and logged in and they also do not load there. just says loading tweet and nothing happens. since I don't use chrome except as a backup, I don't have any extensions on it. and my settings should be default in chrome.

yeah, tracking protection already turned off...has the slash through the symbol and when I click on it, it does say off.

I mentioned I turned off my ublock origin extension. After I did that I did delete cookies, etc. and re-login No change.

by texasniteowl Since it is chrome and firefox, I disable (temporarily) my antivirus (eset nod32) but still have the same problem.

by texasniteowl OK...apparently I do have one extension installed in chrome. my password manager (lastpass). And according to the following discussion, it is the problem. I would never have guessed lastpass would be the cause. https://www.resetera.com/threads/firefo ... se.616491/

Apparently lastpass has been notified and is working on it.

by ponchi101 Ok, that was odd. Will keep it in mind.

by Deuce With these things, the offending thing is often one which seems least likely.
Process of elimination (though it can take a while)...

by ponchi101 Hi gang.
As we have entered October, Fred the bat is back, and I have uploaded a new theme: pro_silver_halloween. Customizable individually via the UCP.
Have a happy month 🎃

by Deuce A small thing, and certainly not hugely important, but it would be convenient to have...

There are page numbers at the top of the 'Recent Topics' list - to go through the pages of the 'Recent Topics'... But those page numbers are only at the top - once we scroll to the bottom of the list of 'Recent Topics', it would be nice to have the page numbers also listed there - at the bottom of the list of 'Recent Topics', rather than have to scroll back up to the top of the list to select the next page of 'Recent Topics'.

As I said - not a very important matter, but something I've been wondering about, as we often see page numbers listed both at the top and the bottom of lists like this.
I've tried all of the different 'styles' (or 'themes') - prosilver and all the others - and none of them have the page numbers at the bottom of the list.

Is there a fairly easy way to get the page numbers listed at the top AND bottom of the 'Recent Topics' list?
(Unlike other features, I don't even know what to search for in the phpBB help forums, etc. for this.)
Thanks.

by ponchi101 No. That is an extension that is made by an independent programmer, and his setup, as you say, only lets you see the pages left in the RECENT TOPICS at the top.
And my studies of PHP never got to the point of being able to modify and add to these extensions.
Sorry about that.
:peace:

by Deuce Ok.
It's odd that the programmer didn't include page numbers at the bottom of the 'Recent Topics' list, as well - as there are numbers at the top and at the bottom of every page within each thread, which is the most common way.

by ponchi101 Dear all.
As we have reached December, I have enabled our usual Xmas theme. Plus, if you feel so inclined, I uploaded a simple theme with Xmas colors: Pro-silver Xmas.
If you want to use it.

by Deuce ^ The functions of the smashing lights, the snow, and even the Santa hat, can all be enabled or disabled independently in the User Control Panel.

by ti-amie I just broke every bulb with the sound on and I loved every second!

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:32 pm I just broke every bulb with the sound on and I loved every second!
And if you ever get in trouble with the law, this history of deriving enjoyment out of destruction will surely be used against you...
:D

by ti-amie
Deuce wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:36 pm
ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:32 pm I just broke every bulb with the sound on and I loved every second!
And if you ever get in trouble with the law, this history of deriving enjoyment out of destruction will surely be used against you...
:D
My Mayor may throw me in jail for being a menace to society! :D

by JazzNU I can't remember if I mentioned this workaround before, but I know someone else had this problem before.

If you are on mobile using a Chrome browser and cannot login to the site because clicking on that word will not load the login screen for whatever reason, switch your browser view to Desktop and then try clicking the Login button and hopefully that gets you to the correct page to login to the site. Also, consider saving the login URL for future attempts to login, as that seems to always load no matter the view.

You should be able to turn off Desktop view and continue logged in using a regular mobile browsing screen.

Also, and I think this only applies to memorized passwords, but if you want your browser to remember your login so you don't have to keep logging back in on each visit. Click the "Remember Me" box BEFORE entering your login credentials. I don't recall it doing this last year, but once you enter memorized details, the login happens without clicking OK or anything, so you won't have the opportunity to select the Remember Me option after that point and will need to login on your next visit most likely.

by ponchi101 We updated to 3.3.9, but not without hiccups.
One of the extensions that we have (the bread crumb menu) created a problem as it had one line of code that did not allow for 3.3.9 to work. As the extension is NOT part of the phpBB team's work, it was not announced as having compatibility issues.
I was able to update and delete the guilty ext, and found a new one; if you use the breadcrumbs (I seldom do) I have yet to enable the new one, as my headache is growing exponentially today and I do not even want to think of the possibility it will crash the site again (ouch, I just did think about it!).
It seems everything else is working fine but, if you notice anything odd, please come here and post it.
Remember: if you are NOT using the pro-silver theme, or one of its variations, not everything works. Test functionality with PS.
Txs

by ti-amie Thank you ponchi!

by Deuce What is the actual reason for updating every time a new version of phpBB is available?
I belong to the camp of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I updated the Android on my cell phone once (actually, it updated on its own, as I had not disabled automatic updates), and it was a disaster. And I've read about many, many people having nothing but problems after updating operating systems, browsers, whatever - where everything was working fine before the updates.

I have disabled ALL automatic updates on my phone and on my computer, and I simply don't update anything anymore - unless something stops working properly. I have NEVER had any security or virus issues.

And so I wonder if, when everything is working well, there is a practical reason for updating phpBB every time a new version is available, and thus risking that things won't work as well as they did before the update.

(I have no idea what 'breadcrumbs' are, and I don't know if I use them or not; the forum seems to be working well for me and my 'PS4' theme right now.)

by ponchi101 Sooner or later, and it will be sooner, phpBB will migrate completely to PHP 8.x (it is up to 8.1). Some commands and lines of code will be substituted by new code. Such new code may not work in versions 3.x, where x is < 3.
PHP is a communal, worldwide enterprise. The brilliant nerds that run this thing, several layers below us the users, keep making it more complex; while, by the end of DOS reign (and prior to GUI's) DOS had 32 commands (which was beautiful as 32 is a power of 2), PHP and related new languages have commands in the 100's.
So, update now, or wait until the day in which it will simply not run anymore, at all. And that day, it will not be a 2-hour job of updating; it will be start from scratch.
I side with the nerds. That's all.

by ti-amie I just got a "this site can't be reached" notice but I closed the tab and opened a new one and there was no problem.

image1.jpg
-->
by MJ2004 I’ve been seeing the following error since the day before yesterday when I try to check TAT through Tapatalk. I uninstalled/reinstalled the app but still same issue. Is anyone else having this issue?
image1.jpg

by ponchi101
MJ2004 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:42 pm I’ve been seeing the following error since the day before yesterday when I try to check TAT through Tapatalk. I uninstalled/reinstalled the app but still same issue. Is anyone else having this issue?
If somebody else is indeed having that problem, please post.
MJ: Our plugin was outdated. TAPATALK released a new one in October and since I do not use TAP I did not notice.
I downloaded and installed the new plugin, and re-enabled it.
If you need to re-use the TAPATALK API key, this is it:

84BBAF1387BBC385C0D67577EB04276B

Please let me know if it is working again.
Txs

by MJ2004 It is working now, thank you!!

by Deuce No Aussie Open banner at the top this year?
Didn't we have one for every Major?

by Fastbackss
ti-amie wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:23 am I just got a "this site can't be reached" notice but I closed the tab and opened a new one and there was no problem.
This has been happening to me sporadically. Same with being logged out and having to log back in. Can't yet deduce reason why

by ponchi101
Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:49 am No Aussie Open banner at the top this year?
Didn't we have one for every Major?
I did not have time to design a new one. My bad.

by ponchi101 Dear all.
All updates for the board have been made. Only a new addition of "importance" to announce.
A new extension has been installed that allows you to go back to the index page if you click on the header banner. Nothing major, but it might help with navigation.
We are currently running phpBB 3.3.9, smoothly running on PHP 8.0.

by ponchi101 Updated to 3.3.10. Something very odd happened, in that I thought I had not but the system tells me it did.
If you notice anything odd, please come here and report.
Txs

by ponchi101 Dear all.
A technical thingy, so only for those that are interested in this sort of things.
We have updated all the way to phpBB 3.3.10 (the board), running on php 8.0 (the platform/language). But I did not realize that many of our extensions have also been updated by their designers. So, looking at them, I can see that at least 20 have been updated (yes, we have a lot of bells and whistles running). And, at least one of them yesterday gave me a massive headache because, when I updated to 3.3.10, THAT particular extension did not run and caused a crash. Therefore I had to update to the new one.
So. Sometime during the weekend I will have to do a major shutdown, and start updating. I say it will take me a whole afternoon, because, although they are all very small (I never cease to be amazed of how compact php is, as a language), I will have to uninstall the old one, install the new one, and check it is running with no conflicts.
Will post you.

by Deuce I think I speak for numerous people when I say thank you for having created this site, and for maintaining it. It's been a little over 2 years now, and, not only was the transition from TAT 1.0 as seamless as possible, but TAT 2.0 has evolved very nicely since then.

Seeing virtually every other tennis message board being overtaken and overrun with teenagers posting nonsense for attention and endless other trolls and assholes, it's hard to believe that TAT has been kept as a little semi-private 'niche' site. I was expecting (and dreading) that what happened with other sites would happen here. But we seem to be somehow immune to it, for which we are all surely thankful. It's like a little hidden treasure.

So... thanks again for the work you do in maintaining this site - it's much appreciated.

by ti-amie What Deuce said. Thank you Ponchi.

by JazzNU FYI, Though posts aren't saved the way they were on TAT 1.0. If you've written a long comment on the forum and go to post it and the site is being updated and your post is gone. Before you think it's just completely lost, hit the back button on your browser. It is very likely it'll still be there and you can copy it and save it to post later on.

I may be speaking from experience...

by ponchi101 Thanks, JazzNU. I did not know that was possible.
Since you bring up updating. Something happened indeed during one of the updates, and I believe that some files from one version (3.3.7) were not overwritten by the latest files (3.3.9 and 3.3.10). So, indeed, there were some databases that were updated, others not.
And I am sorry if you lost some posts.
And I am still updating some stuff. Sorry for the inconveniences. :)

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:03 pm Thanks, JazzNU. I did not know that was possible.
Since you bring up updating. Something happened indeed during one of the updates, and I believe that some files from one version (3.3.7) were not overwritten by the latest files (3.3.9 and 3.3.10). So, indeed, there were some databases that were updated, others not.
And I am sorry if you lost some posts.
And I am still updating some stuff. Sorry for the inconveniences. :)
No worries and no sorry needed. It's always my own fault. I know an update might happen and I just forget it and the tab is still open. I return to it, I write something, hit post and I see an "update in progress" message. Oh yeah, forgot there's been a message up here for days saying that was going to happen. You'd think I'd learn, but clearly, not going to happen. So if anyone else is in the same boat, just thought I'd share.

by ponchi101 Ok. After our last iterations of bots, I installed something new. I WILL NOT TELL YOU, in case the bot is listening.
But. In theory, this is pretty strict anti-spam. So, if you find it preventing you from posting or anything, let me know, because then I have to fine tune it.

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:04 am Ok. After our last iterations of bots, I installed something new. I WILL NOT TELL YOU, in case the bot is listening.
But. In theory, this is pretty strict anti-spam. So, if you find it preventing you from posting or anything, let me know, because then I have to fine tune it.
Maybe if we can't post anything it's because we're also bots? 8-)

by ptmcmahon
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:04 am Ok. After our last iterations of bots, I installed something new. I WILL NOT TELL YOU, in case the bot is listening.
Sounds good! If I can't make a post I will make a post about it!

by ponchi101
ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:11 pm
Sounds good! If I can't make a post I will make a post about it!
Ok, you :clown: You can always PM me! :P

by texasniteowl I am not sure what is going on, but my antivirus on my computer has blocked me all day. I am currently writing this using Safari on my iPhone.

My antivirus says website certificate revoked. The certificate used by this server has been marked as untrustworthy and the connection is not safe.

This error was caused by an invalid OCSP response, which has to be valid because OCSP stapling is used.

Access to the webpage has been blocked.

This is a Windows PC. I have tried Firefox chrome and edge. My antivirus is eset. I have had no issues up until this morning.

Any ideas?

by ponchi101 I just checked everything in the website. If you can't still enter, can you make a screen capture and send it over this way? So I cand FWD to the host?
Sorry and thanks.

by texasniteowl
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm I just checked everything in the website. If you can't still enter, can you make a screen capture and send it over this way? So I cand FWD to the host?
Sorry and thanks.
I just tried today and no issue at all. I'll let you know if it happens again. Here is a quick snap of the error that my antivirus gave me attached.

by ptmcmahon Probably not related but for the last few days I can’t log in on my work computer - always says password is wrong. But I log in fine in phone so have been assuming work blocking it.