Explaining how the new forum works

Are you seeing ANY of these issues?

The recent topics list is ON THE SIDE
31%
The recent topics list is ON TOP
15%
The recent topics list shows ALL NEW TOPICS
8%
The recent topics list shows THE NEW UNREAD TOPICS (it shrinks)
15%
I had problems loading my avatar (had to resize)
15%
I had no problems loading my avatar (lucky me)
15%
Other (please write it down)
No votes

Total votes: 13

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

How are we doing?

Post by ponchi101 »

Gang.
As I am working a bit more on this system, I would very much appreciate some feedback. I am having some issues with my account (yes, I know, and I AM RUNNING IT. Go ahead, laugh). It seems the administrator interface is limited to some arrangements.

In short:
My recent topics window is ON TOP, although I set it up for ON THE SIDE.
It is showing all recent topics, as opposed to only UNREAD ONES (which is what I set it too).

Some people are also having issues loading avatars. Let me know.

The poll attached is multiple choice. Click as many as apply. I also want to test the POLL function.

Thanks.

BTW: if something changes, you can re-vote. Unlike in any other aspect of life.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
texasniteowl

Re: How are we doing?

Post by texasniteowl »

re: avatars....I took my avatar from OG TAT and resized it down to 90x90 jpg but it ended up still over the 6kb limit. So in order to drop the size from 8 to 6, I had to load it into paint and save it as a gif which reduced the "quality". But it did drop it to the right size limit so it worked. just fyi in case it helps someone else.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:45 pm In short:
It is showing all recent topics, as opposed to only UNREAD ONES (which is what I set it too).
In response to the above specifically, my 'recent topics' window has always been on top.
And it seems to fluctuate between showing all recent POSTS and only the recent posts that I've not yet read. Maybe it was fluctuating between the two because you were playing around with it.

Either way is ok... though I think I prefer it showing all recent posts, not just the unread ones.
It would be nice if we could set these things individually, if that's possible - then no-one (including you) would ever have to worry about it.

By the way, the 'Board Index' link on the bottom left of pages isn't working (for me, at least). When I click on it, nothing happens. If I hover, I get a small pop-up allowing me to select the
Forum I want. But clicking on the 'Board Index' produces nothing. The 'Board Index' link toward the top left of the pages works fine when I click it.
It's not a big deal - don't consider it a priority... and if it never gets fixed, it's fine. I just wanted to let you know.

Nice avatar.
But mine blinks.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Deuce wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:52 am
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:45 pm In short:
In response to the above specifically, my 'recent topics' window has always been on top.
And it seems to fluctuate between showing all recent POSTS and only the recent posts that I've not yet read. Maybe it was fluctuating between the two because you were playing around with it.

Either way is ok... though I think I prefer it showing all recent posts, not just the unread ones.
It would be nice if we could set these things individually, if that's possible - then no-one (including you) would ever have to worry about it.

I've just noticed that when I click on the numbers (seemingly some type of page numbers) under 'Mark Forums Read' on the Board Index page - I have numbers 1 to 5, and every time I click on a different number, different posts come up in the 'Recent Topics' window. Strange. And I can't click on #1, no matter what number I've clicked on before.

By the way, the 'Board Index' link on the bottom left of pages isn't working (for me, at least). When I click on it, nothing happens. If I hover, I get a small pop-up allowing me to select the
Forum I want. But clicking on the 'Board Index' produces nothing. The 'Board Index' link toward the top left of the pages works fine when I click it.
It's not a big deal - don't consider it a priority... and if it never gets fixed, it's fine. I just wanted to let you know.

Nice avatar.
But mine blinks.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Just testing a new site... :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:32 pm Just testing a new site... :)
Welcome!
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Thanks so much for this ponchi :thumbsup:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

• This is just a test for creating tables for things like fantasy tennis score tables
    * ponchi101 20 25 10 100 155
    * ponchi101 5 30 25 90 150
ponchi101 40 50 50 150 290

This website does not appear to have the same type of table maker that TAT1.0 had. This should not cause a large problem, because we usually just copy and paste data from spreadsheets like EXCEL into the table. We may have to add an "*" to the beginning of each line to prevent extra blank lines from being inserted. The only problem I am seeing is that we will lose the ability to make the columns line up without the table making ability.

ponchi: does this website service provide a table making tool?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Dave. I don't think it does. If by website provider you mean phpBB (software), it seems it indeed does not let you make tables. I tried it too and I had to insert chevrons to create the space.
If you mean the hosting service, they fall back on phpBB; they do not provide software (they let you upload WP, phpBB or any other software with auto-installers, which is as far as I have gone with them).
It seems to have that limitation... :(
James

Honorary_medal

Post by James »

Just use Google sheets. You can share them as read only like I did with this year's prediction scoring.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

James wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:11 am Just use Google sheets. You can share them as read only like I did with this year's prediction scoring.
If you share them as READ ONLY, wouldn't that block people from entering their pick?
Kirkus United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by Kirkus »

I don't understand the reason, but apparently giving posters the ability to create tables can make it easier to introduce malicious code into a forum. I was using different software on a project some years ago and I wanted the ability to make tables from the front end and I had to sign a waiver, holding him harmless, before the software writer would unlock that feature.

I don't know if that's still a thing, or is what's going on here, but maybe.
Thank you, Ponchi.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Kirkus wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:01 pm I don't understand the reason, but apparently giving posters the ability to create tables can make it easier to introduce malicious code into a forum. I was using different software on a project some years ago and I wanted the ability to make tables from the front end and I had to sign a waiver, holding him harmless, before the software writer would unlock that feature.

I don't know if that's still a thing, or is what's going on here, but maybe.
Ok. Sounds reasonable; about 20 years ago one of the most common ways to distribute a virus was via MS documents: .doc and .xls were very easy to code into malicious malware.
I believe that the way to go, if we accept James proposal, is to create a Google Sheet and load the link here. The people can go into it and post their pick.
I have never used any of the cloud based google applications but, if they have the same properties as a regular Excel sheet, we could go this way:
1. People have to register for the SP a couple of days before.
2. That list goes into the sheet.
3. The sheet would be protected, so that only the picks column can be changed.
4. After you lose, your ROW would be protected again. You could not enter any data, so no more zombies.
5. Same sheet every day, unprotect the column for the day, and maybe it would be better for everybody.

We still have over one month. :yD
James

Honorary_medal

Post by James »

Oh, I didn't mean for suicide picks, but for tabular posts like scores and results. There are Google forms or survey monkey things if you are talking suicide pool pick entries.
You lose the banter of pick threads entirely, but if we are being honest hardly anyone sits and reads those, I think.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am trying to run a test for a Google Sheet. Will update that post so you can see it.