Test for SP. Google sheets

Our Suicide Pools, seasonal contests, YCWJ, predictions, Peterskan and all the others.

Moderator: Contest Staff

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Test for SP. Google sheets

Post by ponchi101 »

As you know, we are tying to check out possible options for the SP. So, one of them is using a GOOGLE SHEET link.
The link is below. As opposed to what I thought could be done (as in MS Excel), you CANNOT protect a sheet. It makes sense: why share a sheet that you would the protect for data entry? In google, you give the option of VIEWER, COMMENTER or EDITOR. If you want it protected, just use VIEWER.
But that would not let people enter their picks. So unprotected it must be.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Please go to the link and enter, under TAT'er, your pick from this 4 fictitious matches:
Sampras Vs Agassi
Federer Vs Nadal
Djokovic Vs Murray
Laver Vs Rosewal

And then we can see how it work.

Txs

ps: and post your pick, to double check.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
texasniteowl

Re: Test for SP. Google sheets

Post by texasniteowl »

made an entry for you....Nadal
ponchi103

Post by ponchi103 »

Sampras
James

Honorary_medal

Post by James »

The problem with sheets as you have it is that everyone can edit anything. Take a look at this tutorial using Google Docs as an alternative. The idea would be to poll the data without direct user access to the database itself and just *view* it immutable to all except the owner via sheets after. https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6281888
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

In turn, the problem that I see with FORMS as opposed to SHEETS is that, for example, in day 1, we would need 64 choices (32 matches). Plus, forms tell you the overall choices ("23 people picked Federer, 12 Novak, etc") but not who picked who.
Sure, anybody can go to the link later and edit their losing pick, so my idea was to have the people FILL the sheet, and also post their pick. The topic will be locked by the moderator and, if your sheet pick differs, too bad. You are dead (not by suicide but by murder).
Do you know how to use FORMS? I am a total stranger to Google Docs, so I am not sure if I am getting this right. If you are, can you start a topic and post a FORM, to see how it works?
And last. It seems that nobody wants to be a moderator, as nobody has "applied". Would you mind being one? Only for contests. The system here can do that. You would have moderator tools only for the contest forum.
Txs :)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Woody

Post by Woody »

Hmm, is it not possible to front-end a Google Sheet with a submission form? That was what I was getting it, though I've never tried it. Then you can protect the Sheet I think, or just not give out the link to it.

https://blog.sheetgo.com/google-sheets- ... le-sheets/
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

I put in a Sampras pick.
James

Honorary_medal

Post by James »

Try this: https://forms.gle/29i1BqfeC9DyoKdz9

More detailed video explanation of this for those interested:
I'm not sure what the data is like when I collect it, but I'll see. I think it remains identifiable single responses to the owner. I'm not displaying any responses to those that enter by default here.