Contest Questions

Our Suicide Pools, seasonal contests, YCWJ, predictions, Peterskan and all the others.

Moderator: Contest Staff

JazzNU United States of America

Contest Questions

Post by JazzNU »

I have a specific issue, but I thought I'd open up a thread so others can post questions they may need answers to.

---------------

My issue - I have two email addresses, one that is super old (Gmail from back when it was still invite-only) and very bloated at this point where I miss a lot of stuff that comes in and one that is a bit newer, a bit cleaner, and that I get alerts about on my phone. For Old TAT I was signed up with my old email address. New TAT, I decided to sign up with my newer email address because if someone sends me a private message in particular, I miss it many times coming into my old email address. BUT, that might be a problem for contests.

I'm not sure if we're still doing Predictions or if my email address is important for other things, but I just wanted to know if there's anything I need to do to make it better with the email change? I have zero problems using my old username/email combo for Predictions or anything else. I still have access to my old email all the time, I'm not getting rid of it or anything, I just decided to sign up this way so I would get more timely notifications when they come in. So, if there's anything I need to do, please let me know. And I really hope I didn't make anyone's life difficult with this. If I did, I'm pretty sure I can change my email address for the forum.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Contest Questions

Post by ponchi101 »

The only part that I can answer is: you will be able to change your e-mail AFTER you have posted 5 times, because that is when you stop being a NEWLY REGISTERED user. Which you are now :)
We can move you to full time registered, so just let us know. About the rest of predictions... I will let Dave answer.
I am glad you made it :)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:06 pm I have a specific issue, but I thought I'd open up a thread so others can post questions they may need answers to.

---------------

My issue - I have two email addresses, one that is super old (Gmail from back when it was still invite-only) and very bloated at this point where I miss a lot of stuff that comes in and one that is a bit newer, a bit cleaner, and that I get alerts about on my phone. For Old TAT I was signed up with my old email address. New TAT, I decided to sign up with my newer email address because if someone sends me a private message in particular, I miss it many times coming into my old email address. BUT, that might be a problem for contests.

I'm not sure if we're still doing Predictions or if my email address is important for other things, but I just wanted to know if there's anything I need to do to make it better with the email change? I have zero problems using my old username/email combo for Predictions or anything else. I still have access to my old email all the time, I'm not getting rid of it or anything, I just decided to sign up this way so I would get more timely notifications when they come in. So, if there's anything I need to do, please let me know. And I really hope I didn't make anyone's life difficult with this. If I did, I'm pretty sure I can change my email address for the forum.
Unfortunately, as of the moment, James7 scripts that were need to run the Predictions contest do not work on this site yet. I am not sure that they ever will. So, as of this moment, there is no Prediction Contest. However, if we can get scripts that work, we will either start a partial year Prediction Contest, or just wait until next year. Currently, I really don't have a clue when, or even if, we will get scripts that work,
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Thanks Dave. I thought that might be the case. If we do get it back, I'll ask again at that time to see what is easiest for those that run it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If I may.
I don't know how Predictions worked because I never played that one. We are looking at using Google Forms to run SP's, since, as Dave says, James scripts are not compatible with this site (yet).
Can Predictions be run using FORMS? I don't see us getting any script ready before the SP's, so we will likely need them. That, or (remote, looney idea) use the PRINT ALL function in the MODS' tools and have people place their predictions in a format that will make it easy for the MODS to parse the data.
Don't know if I am even making sense here.
James

Honorary_medal

Post by James »

I've been distracted by the holidays and not biting the bullet yet to try to reinvent the wheel. Maybe in this next week I'll try things out. Not sure if I can do much in the existing host yet.
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:14 pm If I may.
I don't know how Predictions worked because I never played that one. We are looking at using Google Forms to run SP's, since, as Dave says, James scripts are not compatible with this site (yet).
Can Predictions be run using FORMS? I don't see us getting any script ready before the SP's, so we will likely need them. That, or (remote, looney idea) use the PRINT ALL function in the MODS' tools and have people place their predictions in a format that will make it easy for the MODS to parse the data.
I'd be willing to start the prediction contest using the more primitive model I used when initially starting it on TAT 1 in 2004. People could IM me with their predictions in a format that, as you say, "will make it easy for me to parse the data." I already have a spreadsheet that made it easy to calculate scores from the tables posted on TAT 1 and maybe someone could help me figure out how to post the predictions and results on this board.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

3mlm wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:27 pm

I'd be willing to start the prediction contest using the more primitive model I used when initially starting it on TAT 1 in 2004. People could IM me with their predictions in a format that, as you say, "will make it easy for me to parse the data." I already have a spreadsheet that made it easy to calculate scores from the tables posted on TAT 1 and maybe someone could help me figure out how to post the predictions and results on this board.
By all means. Have you thought using GOOGLE FORMS? I am using it for the NFL Decimation. It guarantees confidentiality, it gets your data in a spreadsheet form, and you can then copy/paste to any Excel sheet.
You are not part of the contest moderators. We can upgrade you and then you can have access to the contest sub-forum.
If you don't know how to use forms (I doubt it, but I did not know until PT said so) it is easy. You only need a google account.
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

3mlm wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:27 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:14 pm If I may.
Thank you for volunteering to help run Predictions. I have added you to the TAT2.0 Contest Staff. Let us know when you are ready to start; if you are not ready this week, I will understand.
When you are ready to start, please create a new topic in the Contest Staff area and describe your process. I want the rest of us to be able to substitute for you if something comes up.

Again, Thank You Very Much.
PeterSkan Canada

Post by PeterSkan »

Thanks very much 3mlm for volunteering on the Predictions front.