2021 Australian Open Suicide Draw Pool WTA Picks and Results

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: 2021 Australian Open Suicide Draw Pool WTA Picks and Results

Post by dave g »

nelslus wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:20 am ...Can't find any thread yet for making WTA 3rd day picks. Just making sure that I'm not missing this in here somehow? :)
No, I just accidently hit the "preview" button instead of the "submit" button.

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Day 2 Start 146
Dead left over from Day 1: 4
New dead: 17
Safe: 125
pudding India

Post by pudding »

I didn’t know she got to Australia.

Oops I had meant to write I didn’t know she got Covid after she got to Australia.
Last edited by pudding on Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Badosa served for the match in the third set, so her three pickers almost stayed alive.

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Day 3 pick summary:

Start 110
No Pick 2

Cornet 1
Ferro 1
Jabuer 43
Kudermetova 22
Kvitova 3
Li 2
Muguruza 3
Pera 1
Potapova 1
Rybakina 4
Swiatek 1
Vondrousova 13
Williams V. 12

Dead 21
Safe 87
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

My pick of Ann Li is not showing, and I definitely want credit for it :D
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JTContinental wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:11 am My pick of Ann Li is not showing, and I definitely want credit for it :D
Looks like we haven't had a chance to update with Day 3 picks yet.

I hope you'll want as much credit for your losing day picks! :D
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: WTA Picks and Results. Jane Austen

Post by ponchi101 »

As it is very unbefitting of a lady to talk about men, especially men she does not “know”, I will refrain myself from expressing an opinion on bachelors that have suffered a defeat at a sport I quite do not understand. However, a lady cannot live from the future royalties from books that will best-sell long after she is dead and since this mysterious man from South America, Poncho I believe, showed up and promised a pretty penny for just a few lines of tennistic gossip, what can a lady do? I accepted to do the writing just because a lady must eat and so does her corgi, and besides, Rebecca is dying of consumption and the funeral arrangements will certainly put a dent on the finances of dear mama.

It seems that a peculiar event is being held in the Southern Colonies, one in which women that do not mind perspiration to soil their clothing perform. Oddly, the prize is in actual monetary goods and not the promise of marriage and a life lived properly in a modest 75 room manor, and the loot is considerable, as opposed to the rewards of those of us that toil the pen and paper while we wait for the proper gentleman to appear in our lives and save us from the misfortune of eternal spinster-hood.
The loot will be trivial for a certain young lady by the name of Alize Cornet. Mademoiselle Cornet, as she is from France, was once again unable to live to expectations and, while not mauled to death in some horrendous fashion, was tripped by a young American with a peculiar name, Miss Ann Li, whose ancestry can be safely said to be from the Far East. Mmselle Cornet, still unattached to any suitable Parisian man, seems to be forced to continue to roam the world, single, in search of that great promise she showed ages ago. By now she is only good for a possible first rounder, and that comes with caveats of its own. Her better days are past, her youth is fading, and having selected her was not a sign of wisdom. By now, she could become what is usually referred to as a “Trophy Wife”, but rather “Consolation Trophy”.
Countess P. Kvitova, from the realm of Bohemia, is also falling on the hard times that prey on women as they become elderly. That this not-so-young woman is unable to gain proper footing in her love life reflects glaringly on her profession of choice, as she is also failing to conquer what in the past were routine achievements. Time is running out on her, and she is by now capitalizing on her looks and former glory, pretty much like my dear acquaintance Lady Theresa Bossomtushy, who despite marrying well and early, has fallen into hard times as Lord Bossomtushy has become way too fond of the bottle and gambles while under the influence, with the expected losses accruing. Picking Miss Kvitova shall become a cautionary tale since, as it is said in the financial circles (I am told, as I do not mingle with those that are obsessed with possessions), past performances are no guarantee for future gains. 3 souls are therefore laid down as they had high hopes in Countess Kvitova. A leaning experience indeed.
However, no event was more bone rattling than the fate of a certain Miss V. Williams. The V stands for Venus, which either tells of parents fond of astronomy or the expectation of ravishing beauty, of which only one case became true. Miss Venus, already 40 and unmarried, fell to a certain Signorina Sara Errani. Now, a little digging finds plenty of dirt and in the case of Signorina Errani, it seems that the consensus is that she is a ruffian of the foulest kind, with a mouth that would shame any and all thieves in Rome and a petulance that rivals that of madams in Italian bordellos (of which I would know only hearsay). Miss Williams rolled one of her ankles (a rather difficult thing to envision to those that properly remain indoors year-round) and was unable to perform at any reasonable level, while Errani treacherously employed the vilest and most devious combinations of drops, lobs and angles to make Williams patrol the entirety of the court. Williams by now is of an age too extreme for these matters and, a spinster too (they seem to populate this sport), she is no longer a viable option anywhere outside our Isles and will most likely become a good aunt, not the Lady of any decent household. 12 poor souls go down with her, to much chagrin.
Well, some people have died in this business today, and I will leave the tales of future mayhem for some other person to write. If you will excuse me, the exertion of writing these lines have affected me and I must leave you, as I feel that at any minute I may faint. Tata!
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JTContinental »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:01 pm
JTContinental wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:11 am My pick of Ann Li is not showing, and I definitely want credit for it :D

Always! I think I was originally listed as a no pick, but I saw Li show up on the this about halfway through the night. ;)

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

JTContinental wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:15 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Always! I think I was originally listed as a no pick, but I saw Li show up on the this about halfway through the night. ;)
Posting things to the individual contestant pick list, takes a fair amount of hand work. While I am keeping my record of the picks in a spreadsheet, which doesn't take too much work, posting those results to the thread requires more work. I end up essentially deleting everything in the post, and pasting the results from the spreadsheet. At the old website, I was able to code the 'redding' into the spreadsheet, and paste all of the current results into the post. However, with this website, I am not able to code the 'redding' into the spreadsheet, so I have to redo the 'redding' by hand every time I post new results to the thread. Therefore, I prefer to limit this task to once per day, after all the results are in.

Post by JTContinental »

No worries--I wasn't even looking at the individual pick list, as I know that's a big job even on the old board. I was looking at post 20, and I think my pick was added later in the evening.

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

JTContinental wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:37 pm No worries--I wasn't even looking at the individual pick list, as I know that's a big job even on the old board. I was looking at post 20, and I think my pick was added later in the evening.

That is true. I hadn't notice that I had missed Li in my pick summary until you had mentioned it.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

About Badosa. She did a great job almost winning that match. That was hardly my point. There were quite a few choices, I was just surprised anyone, let alone 3 people, would go with the symptomatic covid positive player that hadn't played a match in a month and hit a ball for the first time less than a week ago. If she had won her match, I'd have been just as surprised to learn those picks were made.

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Day 4 Pick Summary

Start 86
No Pick 1

Alexandrova 10
Bencic 1
Brady 2
Juvan 2
Kontaviet 8