2021 Australian Open Suicide Draw Pool ATP Picks and Results

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

JTContinental United States of America

Re: 2021 Australian Open Suicide Draw Pool ATP Picks and Results

Post by JTContinental »

Was all set to pick Struff last night, but when the time came, found myself typing ALCARAZ instead, and I'm not mad about it. :D
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

I see JT is saving Laaksonen
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

This is my fault, I picked O’Connell in ycwj to lose, thus guaranteeing him a win
Mary, queen of shots
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Day 2 Summary:
Start: 178
Dead: 73
Safe: 105
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

As part of the new TAT2.0, we have invited some writers to join us and explain to those that have perished what really happened.
Following is our first guest writer.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: ATP Picks and Results review. Ernest Hemingway

Post by ponchi101 »

Sorry I am late, I should have been here yesterday but I was at the bullfight and after that things got interesting with Manuelita and if you are going to say anything just put on some boxing gloves and we deal with it like men, like real men.
Tennis? Makes me sick. Men in tiny shorts running around a little white ball. Sick. But hey, this hombre Ponchi gives me a bottle of the good rum and says to explain what happened and what can I do? I was dry and it was late in the afternoon. I will tell you what happened to you. Why you died.
You picked a German. Yes, you did. Ever seen a German put up a good fight? Ever? No. You picked a German and he let you down. All power and the biggest guns and the biggest tanks and then they can’t fight. Struff? I laugh at that. Should be called Scruff. What little boys have at 12 and they pretend to be ready for the barber. You can’t trust a German to fight; when was the last time they won a war? When? You tell me. Fought two, lost two. I know, they fought the whole world but that is not excuse. You fight a bigger man, you hit him low and good. Make sure his progeny never becomes. So, you picked up a German and you lost because Germans can’t fight. I was there, at “La Matanza”, and I did not see a single German. Yes, it was the Spanish civil war but what were the Germans doing then, that not a single one could show up? Cowards. In the trenches, in the foxholes, you don’t want to be with Germans. Can’t fight.
And you, yes, you, you picked a pole? What did you expect? Same thing, poles can’t fight. In the middle ages the Visigoths and Barbarians came over and stole all their vowels and they did nothing, they just stood there, their language pillaged and raped and they did nothing. They were left with a few Y’s and I’s, but that was it; that is the reason their names are so strange. Could not fight for their A’s and E’s and O’s. Cowards. Anyway, what kind of real man allows himself to be called Hurkacz? Just because that is his father’s name? I was there the afternoon that Ramon “Manolete” Del Producto went against that nifty Miura, El Diablo, near sunset. A real man, Manolete, but El Diablo was special. Manolete made a swift Veronica but the bull flicked its head in time and caught him, right below the crotch. The sparkle flew all over and that day Manolete became Manuelita (not the one above, I don’t go for that) but, what’s the problem? What does bullfighting have to do with you picking a pole to win you a match? Are you listening? It is a metaphor. You are Manolete, the guy that beat the pole is El Diablo. I was there. I saw what happened. And I saw what happened to you too.
And you five picked a Spaniard. Now, don’t get me wrong; Spaniards fight. You put yourself between a Spaniard and his tapas and you better be ready to put on some gloves or take out the “navaja” and get ready for a fight. But that is only when a Spaniard is hungry and you are between him and his morcilla. Not this man. Roberto Bautista Agut. Bautista? Like, he performs baptisms? What is this man, a priest? An altar boy? Yes, I remember the priests in the civil war, giving communion on Sunday, drinking holy wine on Sunday night, with a machine gun on Monday. Those were the days. But not this man Bautista Agut. He just lost against a man named after a pasta sauce: Radu. He would have not survived 1 minute at “La Masacre”. Not one minute.
And you. YOU picked a Belgium? See what I say? David Goffin. What does that sound like? What is the difference between that and buffoon? Yes, half the letters and the arrangement, but what, you want to put on some boxing gloves, lad? Typical Belgium: fought for hours, running around scared, and then could not put his man down. Ended losing. I was there, when the Germans overran them at “Le Cordon Bleu” and I tell you, you can’t trust a Belgium. Not to fight. You can trust him with your sister (he won’t touch her) but that’s about it. Sick.

I will not come back. I saw too much; I have seen enough. I need ten or fifteen years to put my thoughts down, to make sense of what happened. Tennis. Makes me sick. One mistake, it is Love-15. Boxing? One mistake, and it is your ass. Manuelita, make me a Cuba Libre!
angryduck71 United States of America

Post by angryduck71 »

Hey! My players won... why am I red?!?! I had Fritz and Kokkinakis.....

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Day 3 Pick Summary:

Start 70
No Pick 1

Auger Aliassime 8
Carreno Busta 10
Dimitrov 21
Fritz 1
Gerasimov 1
Lajovic 1
Mannarino 3
Roanic 21
Ruusuvouri 3
Schwartzmann 2
Shapovalov 2
Wawrinka 3

Dead 7
Safe 62

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Day 4 Pick Summary

Alcaraz 1
Berrittini 7
Coric 8
de Minaur 15
Fognini 5
Khachanov 5
Krayinvoic 14
Norrie 8
Ruud 3
Sonego 2

Dead 12
Safe 57
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: ATP Picks and Results review. Jorge Luis Borges

Post by ponchi101 »

GOOGLE TRANSLATION. The man refuses to write in English, despite speaking it perfectly.
---0---
Che, it's not a sport. Let's start there, let's be clear in our way of speaking. Let's be precise. It is not a sport and it never will be. The only two sports in the world are polo and chess, and in that respect, brandy chess. Maybe chess with fernet and it is even better if both players have perfect, pristine memory. Or Alzheimer's.
Tennis. Let's talk about tennis. Let's talk about what happened, what we lived through, what was yesterday but, paradoxically, it will be again today, and again tomorrow. Imagine a castle, a palace, or just a construction. It is infinite. You are in its center, a rotunda roundabout, from which an infinite number of corridors depart in turn, in infinite directions, and each of these corridors is bordered by an infinite number of doors, the doors of your destiny, the doors of the what could have, could and could be your life. You just have to choose one of those thousands of doors, and you will fall back into another roundabout, identical to the previous one, with the same infinite corridors, the same infinite doors. And you only have to choose a door that takes you to safety, to the sanctuary, to that place where the doors and the corridors and the castles are already multiplying beyond what was thought.
And you got out of hand and picked the wrong door. You chose the door of a certain Sonego kid, a certain boy who won the first two events of the match (I don't understand that of winning three out of five, why not winning an infinity of infinities, I say) and then collapsed, insecure, fearful, with the terror of having the certainty that this would be the day of his infamy. And his infamy became your infamy, your rotten death in slow motion, for you to see over and over again, a prudish, prudish death, a mouse death in the mouth of a hungry cat. You died choosing the wrong door, and there were millions, infinities of doors. Feel your shame there.
And you, you eight. You chose to die too, expressly, on purpose, that latent and foolish tendency to die by choice and knowing mistake, and you died for choosing this Croatian kid, Coric. A kid whose name has to be changed. In English, one could say that his name is an incentive of faith: BORN A. Born as, would be the translation of that failed language, full of blunders. We will talk about that later. But you have to change the name of this boy and call him DIE A. Die as. Frankly terrible to die under that choice, a wisdom of having chosen a prudish door, a door to an eternal cliff.
And there is one. The last. The shame of having put your hope in a child, a 17-year-old boy who has left you disappointed. Or did you let him down? Too soon, too tender, too weak to have to bear that guilt, that heinous guilt of knowing that not only did he lose, he killed you. You had it deserved and now, rot in that dark, eternal, silent cell like the death of a fish, rot in the knowledge of knowing that you not only died, you died alone.
What agony. Conrad spoke of "the horror, the horror." I speak of the madness, the madness.
What terrible choices, guys. Better, better be dead. Thus shame does not touch you, shame does not stain you, shame does not vex you. Leave that to me, and to us. Those of us who will choose another door tomorrow. Damned all.
161stAndChilla Canada

Post by 161stAndChilla »

I died choosing the wrong door indeed... I should be red, and I think the Sonego numbers are likewise short my presence.

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

161stAndChilla wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:15 pm I died choosing the wrong door indeed... I should be red, and I think the Sonego numbers are likewise short my presence.
You should be red, but are among the Sonego numbers. The error arose between the counting of the dead and posting the new individual results on the first page of this thread. (So the Day 4 pick summary is correct.)

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Day 5 Pick Summary:
Start 58

Djokovic 1
Lajovic 9
Roanic 21
Schwartzman 25
Shapapolov 2

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Day 5 Picks Results

Djokovic 1
Lajovic 9
Roanic 21

Schwartzman 25
Shapapolov 2

Dead 27
Safe 31

At this point, I will update all of these individual results in the first 7 posts of this thread and create a new "Updated 2021 Australian Open Suicide Draw Pool ATP Picks and Results" thread with just the survivors.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: ATP Picks and Results review. Aesop.

Post by ponchi101 »

Two tales for the Suicide Pool.
THE LITTLE MOUSE IN THE PIT OF POISONOUS, CONSTRICTOR, GARGANTUAN SNAKES.
There was once a very brave but small little mouse called Diego. Diego was the fastest of the small little mice in his land, and he could run and run and run and run the whole day. He could do that so that the big snakes in his land, which ate all the other little mice, could not catch him.
Diego was courageous. On many occasions, he would face the much bigger snakes and had to fight them. But he knew that he could not beat the snake, as they are all very huge and ferocious. Most of the snakes would wrap around the body of his fellow little mice and strangle them to death before snapping their head off and then swallow their lifeless corpses, sort of for fun. It was a game, after all. But not for Diego. Diego knew that he had to run for his life every day, to make sure that the big snakes would not eat him.
One year, Diego has to travel to a far away land. This was a dangerous place, where almost all other animals were large, and big and strong and vicious. Every animal there was poisonous: the poison toad, the poison spider, the poison wallaby, the poison platypus, even, the poison hummingbird. This land was called Asstralia, because people said that if in that land you were not brave and strong and a fighter, it was your ass. Diego did not understand what that meant but he knew that the animals in this land were ferocious. In his land, when he met one of the large snakes, he had a trick. He would stand in front of the snake and, as the snake would jump at him with its huge fangs dripping venom and its terrible coils and its mouth wide open, Diego would jump into the snake’s mouth and rush down its throat. The snake would believe that it had eaten Diego but Diego would be alive inside the snake. Then Diego would break the stomach here, bite a kidney there and had to go all the way to the back to come out of the snake through the foul side. It was gross but, what else could Diego do? He would defeat the snakes this way.
On this day, Diego went against a snake from Russia. The snake was big and powerful and vicious, but Diego knew what to do. He stood in front of the snake, and as the snake coiled, he ran towards it, to surprise the snake, and then he jumped into the gaping, putrid, foul snake’s mouth.
Which snapped its jaws quickly enough and impaled Diego with one huge, terrible, mortal venomous fang.
Which means that, if you are a mouse in a land of snakes, it does not matter how fast and smart and brave you are, you will be some snake’s lunch sooner or later. The end.

THE TWO LITTLE PRINCES
There were once two little, handsome princes who grew up to be tall and brave and still handsome and very good at the art of fighting. Felix and Dennis were inseparable for a while, but they had to fight constantly against the other knights and kings of the kingdom.
One day, at a far away tournament for the bravest and strongest warriors, the fight started. All knights and brave men started to fight each other, and then Dennis and Felix found themselves face to face. Dennis, who loved Felix dearly, looked him in the face and smiling said “C’mon, you and I can’t fight each other. I would never hurt you. Would you?”
And Felix said: “You bet” as he struck Dennis in the heart with a dagger he had concealed in his sleeve and killed the poor sucker right there in the spot. And walked over the corpse of his dead friend to fight another knight because in this (expletive) it is dog eats dog, dude. The end.