2021 French Open Suicide Draw Pool: ATP results thread

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

Liamvalid Great Britain

Re: 2021 French Open Suicide Draw Pool: ATP results thread

Post by Liamvalid »

You mean Karatsev, Monfils and Seppi?!! I was studying these matches last night before making my pick, and there were some stinkers to choose from. I ended up picking Roger but who knows if I’m too early with him or not

Edit: or too late with him
Last edited by Liamvalid on Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary, queen of shots
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

hoangers wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:43 pm Hindsight is 20/20 LOL. In retrospect, he is a smart pick. But without the hindsight, he would have been a risky pick against L. Harris, who is a strong player. There were much less risky picks
Exactly. The winner of that match was an excellent pick because he gets Rafa. But that match was, to me, the definition of 50/50.
Listen to a second day loser when they speak!!!! ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:21 pm
hoangers wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:43 pm Hindsight is 20/20 LOL. In retrospect, he is a smart pick. But without the hindsight, he would have been a risky pick against L. Harris, who is a strong player. There were much less risky picks
Exactly. The winner of that match was an excellent pick because he gets Rafa. But that match was, to me, the definition of 50/50.
Norrie has won 16 lost 4 this year on clay, including wins over Thiem, Khachanov (twice), Garin, Cuevas and Goffin,

Harris has only won 1 match on clay this year coming into the open. We really can’t look at that as a 50/50 match and I’m kicking myself for not picking him when I was 99% set to do so
Mary, queen of shots
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I didn't know those stats. If that was the case, indeed, you should have picked him.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:21 pm
The best strategy for winning a pool is often forcing yourself to pick from those 50-50 matches because they are your long term best bet. But not always fun to do it!
:steven:
karlovicfanclub United States of America

Post by karlovicfanclub »

Liamvalid wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:36 pm Norrie through, he was definitely the smart pick of the day with his current form, and his guaranteed next round loss against Rafa. Surprised more people didn’t pick him really (including myself)
I took a gamble picking Norrie, but I weighed my options carefully. My other choices would have been Sinner or Fritz. Sinner seemed liked a slam dunk, but I was also thinking he might be good to have in a later round. I wasn't as certain about Fritz's chances, and given how his match ended, I dodged a bullet by not picking him.
I've been watching a lot of tennis the last few weeks and Norrie has had an excellent clay-court season, while Harris hasn't. It seemed like it was worth the calculated risk, especially with Rafa looming in the next round. I must admit I was a bit worried, though, when no one else picked him!
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

karlovicfanclub wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:27 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:36 pm Norrie through, he was definitely the smart pick of the day with his current form, and his guaranteed next round loss against Rafa. Surprised more people didn’t pick him really (including myself)
I took a gamble picking Norrie, but I weighed my options carefully. My other choices would have been Sinner or Fritz. Sinner seemed liked a slam dunk, but I was also thinking he might be good to have in a later round. I wasn't as certain about Fritz's chances, and given how his match ended, I dodged a bullet by not picking him.
I've been watching a lot of tennis the last few weeks and Norrie has had an excellent clay-court season, while Harris hasn't. It seemed like it was worth the calculated risk, especially with Rafa looming in the next round. I must admit I was a bit worried, though, when no one else picked him!
Great stuff! I went through the same motions as you, I considered Fritz, wanted to save Sinner. I did decide on Norrie but changed my mind to Federer at the last minute, I think out of some kind of duty I felt to pick him just one last time!
Mary, queen of shots
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Another tournament that proves I know nothing about men's tennis
Tolulops

2021 French Open Suicide Draw Pool: ATP results thread

Post by Tolulops »

I considered Norrie, and somehow ended up picking Karatsev. I obviously know nothing.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Nishikori through via a Laaksonen retirement. I saw that the match had ended early, assumed it was yet another Nishikori injury, screamed the house down in anger, realised Nishikori actually won, did a little victory dance
Mary, queen of shots
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

So Kei catches a break and does not have to play 5 sets today.
Still, in Nishikorian fashion, his one set went 7-5.
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

As of Day 6, there is a new "Updated ATP Results Thread". You might want to make any further posts over there.