Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
JTContinental United States of America

Re: Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Post by JTContinental »

Im sure it’s nothing nefarious.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

thanks for the detailed explanation @meganfernandez

I wouldnt pick Keys in singles but Townsend deserves a good partner like Keys (or Venus!)
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:05 am thanks for the detailed explanation @meganfernandez

I wouldn't pick Keys in singles but Townsend deserves a good partner like Keys (or Venus!)
Do you think Keys or Venus is a better partner than Dolehide, Gauff, Pegula, Sloane or Collins? Or Bethanie? I don't. I'd take any of those women over Keys or Venus for dubs. The one thing Keys has going for her is that she and Taylor are super close friends and might know each other's games well.
JTContinental wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:27 am Im sure it’s nothing nefarious.
I doubt nefarious, but possibly Coco doesn't care about BJK Cup at all. Lindsay said the recent/current generations haven't cared enough about BJK Cup and she wants to change that. It's possible that Brad doesn't want anyone coaching Coco except him. The week the players spend in BJK Cup includes some coaching, necessarily. Lindsay said she would collaborate with players' personal coaches - and did before this week's tie - but I could also see Coco and her team being like, nope, stay away. We'll see. i hope Coco grows into a BJK Cup leader. Right now the leaders are Pegula and Townsend.

Also, i don't know what Coco's relationship is like with Pegula. Nothing prickly has been reported, but who knows. Those weeks are about camaraderie and bonding and training together, too. Not just the match.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Cori attended Pegula's wedding.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I feel Keys should partner TT for two reasons .you have added a third (friends)..
1. TT has great touch and court sense . She is like Lutz was..or McEnroe..the ideal partner for her would be a classic serve and volley player .Keys and Venus fit.
2. Keys is a powerful hitter who is a bit slow in her feet...such people can do well in doubles..see Sock, Bopanna, even Pavlyuchenkova.
The others you have named are just good doubles players- but they dont much complement TT

Shriver complementing Navratilova is another such example that comes to mind

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:03 pm Cori attended Pegula's wedding.
That was in 2021, when they were still playing doubles together. Pegula said in December that she would like to play doubles with Coco at the Olympics, so they are probably on fine terms. Probably Coco just wanted to get to Europe soon and get a lot of matches on clay.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:55 pm I feel Keys should partner TT for two reasons .you have added a third (friends)..
1. TT has great touch and court sense . She is like Lutz was..or McEnroe..the ideal partner for her would be a classic serve and volley player .Keys and Venus fit.
2. Keys is a powerful hitter who is a bit slow in her feet...such people can do well in doubles..see Sock, Bopanna, even Pavlyuchenkova.
The others you have named are just good doubles players- but they dont much complement TT

Shriver complementing Navratilova is another such example that comes to mind
Good points. You think Keys is a classic serve and volley player, though? I thought Dolehide played really well Saturday. She might be a better volleyer than Keys.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Dolehide is a great player but too much like Taylor
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

But I still think Venus would be the best .she is a classical serve and volley player and has the maturity and experience to keep her partner calm
Btw she has some 17 major titles plus 3 Olympic golds! Can Davenport ignore the Queen?
Venus is one of the greatest doubles players of this generation !
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Her wiki page says she has won 14 slams, and all of them were with Serena.
Yes, she is very, very good. But she is almost 44. You cannot ignore that.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 am Her wiki page says she has won 14 slams, and all of them were with Serena.
Yes, she is very, very good. But she is almost 44. You cannot ignore that.
plus 2 mixed doubles, not with Serena (he he)

and doubles skills dont age.. Bopanna is 44 too, and he is #1 in the world.. Martina Navratilova won with Paes when she was 46. Venus has been in training.. I dont think people respect her enough.