61 Blinkova, Anna (RUS)
65 Krejcikova, Barbora (CZE)
71 Cirstea, Sorana (ROU)
75 Davis, Lauren (USA)
81 McHale, Christina (USA)
88 Fernandez, Leylah (CAN)
98 Li, Ann (USA)
99 Kostyuk, Marta (UKR)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: WTA 500 Grampians Trophy 2/3-2/7 2021

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Interesting draw...
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Ahh, okay, I didn't remember why so many were missing from the list in the other thread. This is the hard quarantine draw.

After not revealing the players placed on hard quarantine, we now see who was actually in that protocol.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Gabriela Dabrowski got into a singles draw for Tour event? :o
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

skatingfan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:53 am Gabriela Dabrowski got into a singles draw for Tour event? :o
^ That is very odd.
She did win the Orange Bowl as a junior, I believe, but she's definitely been a doubles player for 95% of her pro career.

Looking at the rest of the draw, Leylah has a chance to beat Sloane for the 3rd straight time... which would set up an interesting match with Andreescu.

But when the top seed is a player who hasn't played an official match in over a year, there is a problem with the system.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

skatingfan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:53 am Gabriela Dabrowski got into a singles draw for Tour event? :o
Grampians is just for women who were in hard quarantine, and I don't think it has a doubles draw. So thye must have had space and let her into the singles draw just for some match play.

I doubt any player who's in Melbourne is shut out of a WTA warm-up. This one has 28 players and the other two have 54 each. That's a total of 136 spots. There are 128 in the AO singles draw.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The way that things are going this early season, with 'tournaments' being created out of nowhere and everything being done seemingly at random, I would not have been at all surprised to see Carling Bassett replace Andreescu in the draw.
:roll:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You had to give these players at least some time on court.
But I would have chosen a different name. This sounds like "Grandpa's Trophy".
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Sloane...

Post by Deuce »

Although it’s just a glorified exhibition, Sloane once again did not look good at all. Lots of very careless errors. And when she makes these errors, she constantly looks over at Murray with an expression that says “How come it’s not easy? How come I have to make more effort to make the shots?” Murray should simply not be within Sloane’s view during her matches, as she is far, far too dependent on him during matches now. It’s time to cut the cord and force her to be more INdependent. Maybe it’s time to find another coach - one who can actually help to motivate her.
I know that she’s had a difficult time with people close to her dying of COVID-19 recently - and that’s unfortunate, obviously. But her level of play has been very sub-par for over a year now. Overall, she has looked disinterested. For at least the past year, she’s just been going through the motions - and doing it with some extra weight that she wasn’t carrying a few years ago. She has been physically out of shape and mentally disinterested for quite a while.

Leylah just beat her for the 3rd straight time (twice last year). Leylah should have won the 1st set 6-1 (she was ahead 5-1 and won it 6-3, then ran away with the 2nd set 6-1). Sloane had all of 5 winners - and 40 unforced errors.

These two are absolute opposites in that Leylah’s attitude is one of “I think I can, I think I can... I know I can, I know I can” - always so very focussed and determined... while Sloane’s attitude is more like “Yeah, whatever - I just don’t want to put out any effort.” Their body language could not be more different.

As this has been going on for a significant while with Sloane, it’s really looking like her time as a top player is finished for good. Sadly, she has shown no signs of the form she had a few years ago. Unless she can recapture her passion/focus/enjoyment for the game, she’ll never reach the top level again.
Perhaps it’s a case of ‘too much too soon’ with her... maybe after her US Open win, she just got caught up in the folly of ‘being famous’, and that became more important to her than being a good tennis player. She wouldn’t be the first to have this happen (see Genie Bouchard, among others), and she won’t be the last.
Still, it's sad to see.
R.I.P. Amal...

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Beating Stephens, particularly outside a Slam, is not much of an accomplishment these days. Seems like a loss of interest indeed. I wonder if she's still doing amazingly well on endorsements front in US. She was few years ago and arguably deservedly so. Definitely not deserved anymore. If Osaka not within a company's budget they'd do better betting on Anisimova or Gauff (for US market only of course)...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Remember that Sloane just went through (I believe) a couple of deaths in her family, due to Covid.
I actually wonder what the hell she is doing in Australia. I know that they are professional athletes, and I don't want to compare myself to them, but when my dad died I have no recollection of what I did in my next work shift. I was simply not there.
I don't know how much more different can it be for athletes.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm watching a replay of Sloane vs Leylah-Annie now. Sloane hasn't been this slim/fit in years. And yet...
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:36 pm I'm watching a replay of Sloane vs Leylah-Annie now. Sloane hasn't been this slim/fit in years. And yet...
I'm glad you mentioned this. I only saw a highlight and wondered if it was just not seeing her for an extended time that made me think she had slimmed down.