The Rogers Cup no longer exists...

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

The Rogers Cup no longer exists...

Post by Deuce »

Sorry about the 'baiting' headline...

Don't worry, though, fellow Canucks - it's simply a name change. From 'Canadian Championships' to 'Canadian Open' to 'Rothman's Canadian Open' to 'Players International' to 'du Maurier Open' to 'Canada Masters' to 'Rogers Cup'... to 'National Bank Open'.
You can bet your buck that money decided this, as always.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/rogers ... -1.5897746

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The Rogers Cup no longer exists...

Post by ponchi101 »

National Bank Open... super catchy and sexy :zzz:
The "CPA Open" was already taken?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

You have to get the whole title change - Previously 'The Rogers Cup' presented by National Bank - Now 'National Bank Open' presented by Rogers.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Hooray for continual corporate branding :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Well, of course money decided it - that's the point of naming rights. And that's ok, tournaments need money to run.

Rogers Cup was a nice sponsor - they used to do media room raffles and would raffle off pretty expensive stuff - I won a pair of $200 Bose headphones once (which were then promptly stolen after the tournament) and one year they raffled off iPads.

My favorite sponsor of that tournament is still Lindt, though.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

the Moz wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:35 pm Hooray for continual corporate branding :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:
I'd rather have tournaments than not....
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

A tournament's name can be (almost) anything and the tournament will still exist. I'm just lamenting a trend. C'mon National Bank!! I dare you to sponsor the event and call it The Canadian Open, end of. Oh but wait...National Bank isn't interested in supporting tennis. They want to expand their corporate brand and utilise marketing techniques to get people to part with their money.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I always call tournaments by the city or country only. In my mind Rogers Cup has never existed, it's only Canada open which hopefully continues to be held for decades to come.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

the Moz wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:16 pm A tournament's name can be (almost) anything and the tournament will still exist. I'm just lamenting a trend. C'mon National Bank!! I dare you to sponsor the event and call it The Canadian Open, end of. Oh but wait...National Bank isn't interested in supporting tennis. They want to expand their corporate brand and utilise marketing techniques to get people to part with their money.
They're a business. Of course that's what they want. Why would they want to shell out tons of money for the love of tennis and NOT reap the marketing benefits? That would be irresponsible business.

A tournament's name can be anything but a tournament cannot exist without money. I've been all too close to the struggle that the late Connecticut Open (named that way when on its last legs because the state had to step in and sponsor it) had finding a title sponsor after Pilot Pen dropped them.

I'm all for having a reasonable limit on who can sponsor events (i.e. not betting sites!) but the reality is that tennis needs sponsor money for the non-slam events to exist and, for sponsors, the events are an investment for which they want to maximize returns (i.e. publicity and reputational benefits).
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

I understand money needs to be there.

I am just saying the NAME OF THE TOURNAMENT. Everything else corporate sponsoring is fine. I accept it. Don't like it. But I accept it. And I'll pay to attend like I always have.

I just don't like the tournament called a corporate brand. Not that left field I hope...
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:58 pm
the Moz wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:16 pm A tournament's name can be (almost) anything and the tournament will still exist. I'm just lamenting a trend. C'mon National Bank!! I dare you to sponsor the event and call it The Canadian Open, end of. Oh but wait...National Bank isn't interested in supporting tennis. They want to expand their corporate brand and utilise marketing techniques to get people to part with their money.
They're a business. Of course that's what they want. Why would they want to shell out tons of money for the love of tennis and NOT reap the marketing benefits? That would be irresponsible business.

A tournament's name can be anything but a tournament cannot exist without money. I've been all too close to the struggle that the late Connecticut Open (named that way when on its last legs because the state had to step in and sponsor it) had finding a title sponsor after Pilot Pen dropped them.

I'm all for having a reasonable limit on who can sponsor events (i.e. not betting sites!) but the reality is that tennis needs sponsor money for the non-slam events to exist and, for sponsors, the events are an investment for which they want to maximize returns (i.e. publicity and reputational benefits).
I get the immediate sour reaction about the name, but at least you have a sponsor and a tournament. Indy's tournament reverted from RCA Championships to the Indianapolis Championships -- because it couldn't find a sponsor. Two years later, no tournament. We can call it what we want! The Canada Natty or something. :) I always just say Montreal or Toronto, or Canada.

When Indy's football stadium became Lucas Oil Stadium, everyone hoped we'd call it the Luke. Didn't catch on. We call it Lucas Oil - and no one minds. But the nickname idea is a way around the corporate coldness.

Post by meganfernandez »

the Moz wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:03 pm I understand money needs to be there.

I am just saying the NAME OF THE TOURNAMENT. Everything else corporate sponsoring is fine. I accept it. Don't like it. But I accept it. And I'll pay to attend like I always have.

I just don't like the tournament called a corporate brand. Not that left field I hope...
The name is probably the most valuable/visible part. Here we are talking about it - their marketing dollars at work. The backlash doesn't seem to hurt businesses or they wouldn't keep doing it.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:04 pm

I get the immediate sour reaction about the name, but at least you have a sponsor and a tournament. Indy's tournament reverted from RCA Championships to the Indianapolis Championships -- because it couldn't find a sponsor. Two years later, no tournament. We can call it what we want! The Canada Natty or something. :) I always just say Montreal or Toronto, or Canada.

When Indy's football stadium became Lucas Oil Stadium, everyone hoped we'd call it the Luke. Didn't catch on. We call it Lucas Oil - and no one minds. But the nickname idea is a way around the corporate coldness.
Lucas Oil could not be happier.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Yeah, to be clear, I"m not saying this is a great thing. But it's how things are set up and my point is that you can't really blame a business for being a business. The only solutions are for the largest investor in all events to be the league/professional association, the government, or the fans. Those solutions haven't proven sufficient, thus corporate naming rights.

Post by meganfernandez »

the Moz wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:07 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:04 pm

Lucas Oil could not be happier.
Oh, I know. Even Peyton said he wanted to call it the Luke and it didn't work - because Lucas Oil isn't that bad. But you know what, Lucas Oil built us a beautiful stadium and we got to host the Super Bowl. Ad without that, I would never have been in a Twitter fight with Nelly when he didn't show up to his concert during the pre-parties.

We aren't complaining. And I never cringe when I say Lucas Oil. At least the company has strong Indy ties. Charlotte Lucas drag-races and she's like 70 years old! Love it.

Interesting to note that the Indianapolis Motor Speedway does not have a corporate sponsor. That's still the name. Makes me appreciate it all the more now!