2021 Racquet Smashing Contest

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: 2021 Racquet Smashing Contest

Post by meganfernandez »

Medvedev in his Rotterdam opera. Gotta wait for it... and can't see the contact point. But a nice two-act smash, incredible force, and pretty unhinged. There's a better view in the bottom video, with court contact and the corpse, at the 2:13 mark. The blast range is pretty big at the end and the bounce is wild and free. Subtracting points for destructive results, though. The racket remained in one piece after two violent attempts.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I like the full serve motion. Plus, it IS like a serve: missed the first one, went for the second serve.
Still short of the Djokovic beauty vs Zverev, but this is solid. He just has to show more frustration or other despicable emotions.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:08 pm I like the full serve motion. Plus, it IS like a serve: missed the first one, went for the second serve.
Still short of the Djokovic beauty vs Zverev, but this is solid. He just has to show more frustration or other despicable emotions.
The display of disgust and anger with everything and everybody was great but he needs to show a bit more of that so that they have to bring out a whisk broom and pick up the pieces.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:08 pm I like the full serve motion. Plus, it IS like a serve: missed the first one, went for the second serve.
Unless we get a I think his name was Martinez level of artistry out of someone unexpected, Paire puts on a show, or the epic meltdown of Grigor that one year, I'm not sure Novak is getting beat this year. As I said before, I watched that and felt certain I was witnessing the champion.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think Fernando Gonzalez, the man the trophy is named after, would agree. Djokovic's entry is truly a thing of beauty.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:16 pm
The display of disgust and anger with everything and everybody was great but he needs to show a bit more of that so that they have to bring out a whisk broom and pick up the pieces.
Djokovic set a new and potential unreasonable standard when they brought out the whisk.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:22 pm ...

Unless we get a I think his name was Martinez level of artistry out of someone unexpected, Paire puts on a show, or the epic meltdown of Grigor that one year, I'm not sure Novak is getting beat this year. As I said before, I watched that and felt certain I was witnessing the champion.
Mario Vilella Martinez. And THAT ONE will never be surpassed. It can be found in YT but I will not link it, in honor of TAT1.0. I watched that one at least 5 times in a row the first time it was posted. Then several others.
That is frigging Mozart's Requiem.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 pm
JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:22 pm ...

Mario Vilella Martinez. And THAT ONE will never be surpassed. It can be found in YT but I will not link it, in honor of TAT1.0. I watched that one at least 5 times in a row the first time it was posted. Then several others.
That is frigging Mozart's Requiem.
The one where he propelled himself forward in the clay, then flung the racket into the fence with a delightful PING? It's not for 2021, but it is forever.

Anyway, Medvedev - looks like he's the first player with two entries in 2021. Probably not his last.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I believe that Marcos Baghdatis is worthy of at least serious consideration for the overall, all-time title... The length of time - and number of racquets - it took him to exorcise the demons and decompress will likely never be surpassed.
Just when you thought it had passed... it erupted once again. And just when you thought it was finished again - yet another eruption. And another...
It was the very definition of 'boiling over'.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:32 am I believe that Marcos Baghdatis is worthy of at least serious consideration for the overall, all-time title... The length of time - and number of racquets - it took him to exorcise the demons and decompress will likely never be surpassed.
Just when you thought it had passed... it erupted once again. And just when you thought it was finished again - yet another eruption. And another...
It was the very definition of 'boiling over'.
Marcos, poor guy. It seemed like tennis really stressed him out. I saw him practically hyperventilate on a practice court in Indy one time. I think it held him back from an even better career.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Bagdhatis is indeed a HOF in this topic. His famous smashing of all his racquets AFTER the match was over was an ode to the craft, a statement of being committed full time to this sub-section of his tennis skills.
May all his racquets RIP.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:26 am ...

The one where he propelled himself forward in the clay, then flung the racket into the fence with a delightful PING? It's not for 2021, but it is forever.

Anyway, Medvedev - looks like he's the first player with two entries in 2021. Probably not his last.
Usain Bolt's 9.57
Chamberlain's 100 points game.
Havlicheck stealing the ball.
And Vilella Martinez PING against the fence.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:47 pm Bagdhatis is indeed a HOF in this topic. His famous smashing of all his racquets AFTER the match was over was an ode to the craft, a statement of being committed full time to this sub-section of his tennis skills.
May all his racquets RIP.
He actually broke those racquets while sitting on a changeover!
Kind of makes you think that he really did want the match to be over at that point (he was down 2 sets to love - to Wawrinka - when he destroyed the racquets, and then actually won the 3rd set after the massacre... but lost the match in the end).

The worst thing about that episode is that the frames he destroyed were Fischer Vac Pro 90s - one of the sweetest and most unique frames ever produced, with beautiful feel. That made his eruption a real tragedy.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Not bad
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

oooh, I like that. She went FH, 2 handed BH, FH. I like the body motion, although it is a bit stop & go. And the racquet is beautifully destroyed.
New Balance, indeed.