2021 Racquet Smashing Contest

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: 2021 Racquet Smashing Contest

Post by ponchi101 »

Since I know you are joking:
Then Bjorn Borg never gave a (expletive) about the sport. And Fabio Fognini cares deeply about it ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

No - I never said - never even implied - that players who don't smash their racquets don't care.
I am saying, however, that players who do smash their racquets obviously care.
It's not a question of caring about the sport - that is not the subject here. The subject is Nick saying (repeatedly) that he 'doesn't care' on the court, and that that is why his performances are sometimes less than intense.
But if you smash a racquet, it's because you're frustrated that you didn't do better. And you obviously can't be frustrated with your performance unless you care.

Ergo, as I've said many times, despite his claims that he 'doesn't care', Nick's actions show that he does care.
His actions also show that he doesn't care at times, as well. That's what makes him an enigma.

By the way, Borg used to throw his racquet and have tantrums on the court when he was a teenager. Just like Federer.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I really thought you were joking.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

What on Earth does smashing a racquet and/or yelling at oneself demonstrate if not frustration at one's level of performance?
And what does frustration indicate if not that one gives a damn?

If a player yells out in joy after hitting a great shot, would you question whether that person cares or not? Of course not - the exclamation of joy is a clear indication that the person is happy with their performance, and that they obviously care.
Smashing a racquet and/or yelling when one misses a shot is exactly the same principle - caring - being interested - elicits a response to performance - because one cares.

If you don't care about something (or someone), you're indifferent.
If you do care about something (or someone), then what happens with that something or someone matters to you. And when things don't go the way you want them to with things related to the activity or entity or person, etc. that you care about, you react.
If you don't care, you don't react. With some people, their reactions are more obvious, and with others, it's less so. But, yes, being frustrated with something means you care - 100% of the time.

Any emotional reaction - be it glee, frustration, joy, sadness, happiness, anger, etc. - is an indication that one cares.
To me, it's like 1+1=2.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

To the rest of us, when a 24 yo man states that he did no miss tennis during a full year of pandemic, when a man tanks games repeatedly, when he insults the sport and his opponents, when he says he does not love the sport, but a different one (basketball), I take him at his word.
You are going exactly where I said there was no need to go. 1,000 words of Freudian explanations when you simply have to listen to what the man said.
But you have made your mind up.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:39 am To the rest of us, when a 24 yo man states that he did no miss tennis during a full year of pandemic, when a man tanks games repeatedly, when he insults the sport and his opponents, when he says he does not love the sport, but a different one (basketball), I take him at his word.
You are going exactly where I said there was no need to go. 1,000 words of Freudian explanations when you simply have to listen to what the man said.
But you have made your mind up.
You're using a very simple approach to assess a very complex, multi-dimensional human being. That's like trying to fix a complex Formula 1 engine with a lone Phillips screwdriver instead of using the other tools in your toolbox, as well. Or like using a basic $1 calculator to solve a complicated scientific equation. For that, you need to use a scientific calculator.
True meaning is often not seen on the surface - one must dig deeper for it.
But if you (and others) choose to simply look only at the surface, that's your right. Just as it's my right to look deeper than the mere surface.

Of course I have made up my mind that Nick cares. Because it's well known that actions speak louder than mere words. And his actions say all kinds of different things - not only the things that he also speaks.

Anyone can say anything in order to create whatever illusion they want people to believe.
Whenever an individual's actions contradict his/her words - or vice-versa - I will always believe the actions above the words. Doing so has served me quite well in life.
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

For anyone who wants to search for the video/GIF, there's a Zverev racquet smash from his 'ATP Cup' match vs. Medvedev.
R.I.P. Amal...

Drop-shot

Post by Drop-shot »

After seeing the entries:
Fabio, professor of racquet smashing 101. Covers the basics but nothing spectacular at this point.

Begu: too much risk for such little damage.

Novak: now this one I liked. Number 1 player, coming off a lonf off season, going at furniture in a glorified exo. He always excels in the pent-up anger category. Now, if he's like this in week 1, I can only imagine the rest of the year.

Kyrgios: I can't be objective with him. Why won't he just go away like that racquet?
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The first sequence is embarrassing. The racquet is playing with him. Shameful.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Another entry from Nick

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Like so much of his game, effortless. Makes it seem natural, almost unavoidable. "I am an element of destruction".
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Pliskova was in a mood today

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Terribly subdued. The same emotions of a person that drops an egg on a kitchen floor that is easily cleaned.
Missing too much. And the racquet was barely cracked. Not enough, sorry. Not enough.
Omess Canada

2021 Racquet Smashing Contest

Post by Omess »

JazzNU wrote:Pliskova was in a mood today

Bonus, she got a point penalty for smashing her racquet in the corridor between set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro