ATP & WTA rankings

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: ATP & WTA rankings

Post by ti-amie »

Some will argue but for the most part we're not haters here. If you want to see real haters go to that WTA fan site. Some of the stuff posted there is just unreal especially re Barty. I've seen posters there say that she's not attractive enough to be #1 as if that's the criteria.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Reason #1 why we created, and I will not leave, my abodes here :)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I go with hatred because everything keeps singling her out. I am not talking about people on here, I'm talking about the online Tennis community as a whole, and Tennis Twitter in particular. If you're trying to make a valid point, then make it an unbiased one. The way they are going after Barty in these discussions make it seem like it's her that they don't like. Because someone like Muguruza isn't ranked higher and ought to be. Who besides Barty is ranked above her that is on very shaky ground?

Points over the last 52 weeks -

Pliskova - 1147 (10 events)
Barty - 901 (3 events)
Bencic - 543 (6 events)
Andreescu - 180 (2 events)

And this is the other thing that you can see when you look at these totals. Barty has at least performed well when she played, suggesting she's still likely worthy of the Top 10. But these other 3? Hardly at peak performance since the restart and Pliskova in particular has barely missed a tournament and still can't must a respectable showing. As I said before, a lot of players have used the point freeze to their benefits, even ones that performed well have done it. If the criticism was spread out at all, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Heavy is the head that wears the crown...

Barty is not a popular player, but few would be paying much attention to her inflated ranking if it was #3 instead.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:55 pm I think a valid point is being lost in the Barty-hate to but Kvitova and Svitolina are on the list. Both tours can be called to task for how they've handled their ranking systems but I think it's only the ATP that has gone out of its way to protect one player and you hardly hear anything about that from many fans and none of the "credentialed media".

Still Tennis Australia went out of its way to protect Barty with a cakewalk draw that she still didn't take advantage of.
you think Tennis Australia manipulated Barty's draw?

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:00 pm It's not like Medvedev did anything all that special to get there. Could easily lose to someone else like him or maybe even Rafa.
Beating 1, 2 and 3 in the tour finals is pretty special.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:10 pm
ti-amie wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:55 pm I think a valid point is being lost in the Barty-hate to but Kvitova and Svitolina are on the list. Both tours can be called to task for how they've handled their ranking systems but I think it's only the ATP that has gone out of its way to protect one player and you hardly hear anything about that from many fans and none of the "credentialed media".

Still Tennis Australia went out of its way to protect Barty with a cakewalk draw that she still didn't take advantage of.
Yes. Everyone who could've challenged her was in the bottom half of the draw. Not to disparage the women in the top half but that part of the draw should've seen her through to the semis at least. That it failed was a major topic of discussion between some members of Tennis Twitter.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:19 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:10 pm

Yes. Everyone who could've challenged her was in the bottom half of the draw. Not to disparage the women in the top half but that part of the draw should've seen her through to the semis at least. That it failed was a major topic of discussion between some members of Tennis Twitter.
gotta love Week 1 storylines

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:52 am
What a harsh calling out on two fronts :? :?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Is Daniil in danger of losing the #2 ranking in the next few weeks? I feel like there's a whole lot of things that are coming out because they might not be relevant soon enough, so here's that content while it's a thing. Like why do we need a list of the guy with 1 week at #2? 🤔 Let him enjoy it a bit.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The news and reporters are really desperate for something shady coming up.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

An honest, thoughtful man! What a change!!!

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

‘REAL’ ATP RANKINGS: Who is benefitting from new rules and who is missing out?
Alexander ZverevAndrey RublevATP TourDaniil MedvedevDominic ThiemNovak DjokovicRafael NadalRoger FedererStefanos TsitsipasTennis News
March 18, 2021
By
Tennisbuzz Team

f there is one issue that appears to be causing divide in men’s tennis right now it is the ATP rankings and the temporary rules.

To deal with the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic, the ATP have brought in a temporary two year cycle to replace the traditional 52-weeks rolling system.

While it offers protection to players, it is also creating a somewhat warped view of where people are in terms of form, so with the help of YolitaTennis, we thought it was time to keep track of what tennis would, and arguably should, look like right now in normal circumstances.

‘Real’ ATP Rankings, based on rolling 52-week performance
1 Djokovic 5,830
2 Medvedev 5,495
3 Rublev 3,825
4 Thiem 3,535
5 Nadal 3,300
6 Zverev 3,115
7 Tsitsipas 2,795
8 Schwartzman 2,210
9 Raonic 1,505
10 Carreño Busta 1,500

Who is benefitting
Roger Federer is the biggest beneficiary by far. After over a year out of the game injured, Federer would have been pretty much wiped out in terms of points under the traditional system.

However, despite his absence not being anything connected with Covid, the Covid-protection applied to the rankings has seen him retain his top ten place.

Matteo Berrettini is also in the top ten pretty unnaturally right now. As good as he looked before injury at the Australian Open, he should be five positions lower in the rankings.

Meanwhile, both Rafael Nadal and Stefanos Tsitsipas are two places higher than their performances would merit in the old system.

Novak Djokovic, Daniil Medvedev, and Dominic Thiem are right where they should be.

Who is missing out?
Right now, it’s tough to not echo the frustrations on Andrey Rublev, and it’s interesting to note he is is actually doing himself a disservice.

“If we would have the normal system, I would be like number four in the world I think,” Rublev said.

He’s wrong, he would be number three.

Alexander Zverev has also expressed frustration, describing the current system as ‘absurd,’ but realistically he would only be one spot higher in the old system.

Milos Raonic should also be back to being a top ten player and should be counting himself very unfortunate that he is not.

You could also argue that Djokovic has missed out due to the effects on covid on the ATP rankings given he would have considerably more weeks at world number one by now (334) if they had not been suspended last year.

Current top ten (‘real’ ATP rankings in brackets)
1 Djokovic (1)
2 Medvedev (2)
3 Nadal (5)
4 Thiem (4)
5 Tsitsipas (7)
6 Federer (300-400)
7 Zverev (6)
8 Rublev (3)
9 Schwartzman (8)
10 Berrettini (15)

https://tennisbuzz.net/atp-rankings-rea ... ael-nadal/