ATP & WTA rankings

Our main board to talk about our sport
Suliso Latvia

Re: ATP & WTA rankings

Post by Suliso »

JTContinental wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:17 pm Will we have a new #1 on the women's side now?
No. That's mathematically impossible.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:21 pm
JTContinental wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:17 pm Will we have a new #1 on the women's side now?
No. That's mathematically impossible.
:?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

On the WTA side there are two teams (USA and Czechia) with more than 4 players in the top 65 eligible to go to Olympics.

For USA Kenin, Serena and Brady have clinched their spots. The last one is between Gauff and Pegula with the strong advantage to Coco. Jessica needs QF's and Gauff losing soon. However, it's entirely possible that Serena doesn't go and then the team is clear already unless Sloane wins the title.

For Czechia Pliskova, Kvitova and Muchova are in. The last spot will go to either Krejcikova or Vondrousova. Barbora is 400 points ahead and it will take a huge result at RG for Marketa to overtake her. Can't be ruled out though considering how the bottom half of the draw has collapsed.
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

I had been assuming that there would be massive turnover in the rankings after the French Open, as points from the previous two editions would be dropping off. Then, looking at the live rankings site, it showed only 2019 points being dropped. I looked at the WTA site, and apparently the 2020 points will remain on the rankings system for 52 weeks. This is true for all tournaments that were shifted more than four weeks from their originally scheduled date.

I didn't check to see whether the same is true for ATP rankings, but in that case, there was only one player "defending" champion's points anyway.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I was thinking earlier today how many more players of full or partial Asian descent there are on WTA tour in the top 100 compared to ATP. I wonder is that because height is less crucial for women or because ATP is more competitive in more countries?

WTA (12): Osaka, Pegula, Wang, Zhang, Zheng, Hsieh, Fernandez (?), Li, Doi, Hibino, Diyas, Zhu

ATP (4): Nishioka, Nishikori, Kyrgios, Kwon

Also there was a promising Korean player few years ago who has disappeared (injuries?). Can't recall his name now...
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Suliso wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:13 pm I was thinking earlier today how many more players of full or partial Asian descent there are on WTA tour in the top 100 compared to ATP. I wonder is that because height is less crucial for women or because ATP is more competitive in more countries?

WTA (12): Osaka, Pegula, Wang, Zhang, Zheng, Hsieh, Fernandez (?), Li, Doi, Hibino, Diyas, Zhu

Also there was a promising Korean player few years ago who has disappeared (injuries?). Can't recall his name now...
I think you are talking about LU Yen-Hsun. He lost his first round match to Schwartzman.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

dave g wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:19 pm
Suliso wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:13 pm I was thinking earlier today how many more players of full or partial Asian descent there are on WTA tour in the top 100 compared to ATP. I wonder is that because height is less crucial for women or because ATP is more competitive in more countries?

I think you are talking about LU Yen-Hsun. He lost his first round match to Schwartzman.
No, I remembered. It was Chung Hyeon who reached #19 in 2018, but is now ranked only #180
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Hyeon went through a lot of injuries. I remember he was looking very good. Gave Novak a tough match at the Aussie.
Remember Paradorn Schrichapan? He was rather tall, and was a joy to watch. But injuries also did him in.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:48 pm Remember Paradorn Schrichapan? He was rather tall, and was a joy to watch. But injuries also did him in.
Of course, but that was some time ago. Right now no particularly bright prospects coming up.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes - Leylah's mom is Filipino. Her father is from Ecuador. Leylah was born in Canada - in the Montreal area.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I knew about Leylah-Annie's parentage but not about Pegula.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

I believe Mackie McDonald also has Asian heritage...not quite back in the top 100 yet, but not far off
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Taro Daniel, as well, in basically the same spot in the rankings as McDonald...

Of course, the numbers would rise if India is included.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:48 pm I knew about Leylah-Annie's parentage but not about Pegula.
Jessica's mother is Korean, but adopted as a child and grew up in USA.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:56 am
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:48 pm I knew about Leylah-Annie's parentage but not about Pegula.
Jessica's mother is Korean, but adopted as a child and grew up in USA.
Thank you. :)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein