ATP & WTA rankings

Our main board to talk about our sport
the Moz Canada

Re: ATP & WTA rankings

Post by the Moz »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:44 pm I am not surprised one bit that Martina I is the leader and by that much, but I am surprised that Martina II is not even in the list.
Steffi: 625 weeks. And of those, 377 were as #1. I bet if you add weeks at # 2 it is easily over 500.
Martina Jr :notworthy:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

As someone who wasn’t watching tennis at the time, Pam Shriners name up there is a big surprise. I know about her doubles success but had no idea she was such a top ten singles mainstay
Mary, queen of shots
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Clearly consistent in singles, but unfortunately didn't win much from it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Shriver was a very consistent semi finalist at any tournament she went to. Then, of course, she bumped into either Martina or Chris, depending on her side of the draw.
One time, after losing to Martina, she voiced out that she was very frequently in Martina's half, and that she would like to land in Chris' half more often as "she would have a better chance". Chris heard it and she was furious. The next time they met she trashed Pam mercilessly.
Pam was one of those "unlucky" players. She spent her entire career trapped between the Martina/Chris/Mandlikova supremacy and then, being younger than the three, Steffi came up.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:21 pm Shriver was a very consistent semi finalist at any tournament she went to. Then, of course, she bumped into either Martina or Chris, depending on her side of the draw.
One time, after losing to Martina, she voiced out that she was very frequently in Martina's half, and that she would like to land in Chris' half more often as "she would have a better chance". Chris heard it and she was furious. The next time they met she trashed Pam mercilessly.
Pam was one of those "unlucky" players. She spent her entire career trapped between the Martina/Chris/Mandlikova supremacy and then, being younger than the three, Steffi came up.
Indeed. Shout out to her dubs though. She's a champ, because of her tennis and her partner.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Shriver and Sabatini were the main surprises for me. And maybe Conchita.
Sabatini because I didn't think she was that level of good for that long...
And Shriver because she easily had the ugliest, most awkward looking game of any female player in the history of the sport. It made Roddick's game appear smooth as silk in comparison. But, hey - it's not what it looks like that counts, it's the results. And her results were obviously good - surprising as it was.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:44 pm I am not surprised one bit that Martina I is the leader and by that much, but I am surprised that Martina II is not even in the list.
Steffi: 625 weeks. And of those, 377 were as #1. I bet if you add weeks at # 2 it is easily over 500.
Martina II was in the top 10 from 10/07/96 to 10/14/02 which is 313 weeks, just missing the list.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Deuce wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 am Shriver and Sabatini were the main surprises for me. And maybe Conchita.
And Shriver because she easily had the ugliest, most awkward looking game of any female player in the history of the sport. It made Roddick's game appear smooth as silk in comparison. But, hey - it's not what it looks like that counts, it's the results. And her results were obviously good - surprising as it was.
I suspect that Conchita was there for that long because she played week in and week out. Different era, when taking a break meant, in the words of Henri Laconte, "not picking up a racquet for two days".
Grant you that Shriver's game was unorthodox, but her net game was solid. Her slice backhand was only second to Kathy Jordan's in term of weirdness (remember? Jordan used to hit her BH with a forehand western grip, basically impossible). But yes, point for artistry and beauty she never got.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:34 pm
Deuce wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 am Shriver and Sabatini were the main surprises for me. And maybe Conchita.
I suspect that Conchita was there for that long because she played week in and week out. Different era, when taking a break meant, in the words of Henri Laconte, "not picking up a racquet for two days".
Grant you that Shriver's game was unorthodox, but her net game was solid. Her slice backhand was only second to Kathy Jordan's in term of weirdness (remember? Jordan used to hit her BH with a forehand western grip, basically impossible). But yes, point for artistry and beauty she never got.
From the time Conchita first entered the top 10 (6/10/89) until the last week she was in the top 10 (5/21/01), she was in the top 10 for 493 weeks, equivalent to about 9.5 years out of about 12 years and more than half of her 18 year career, winning 33 titles, including a slam. I doubt that was just the result of playing "week in and week out". There was a year (2/1/99 to 2/31/00) she was out of the top 10, between 2 streaks of 52 weeks and 68 weeks in the top 10.

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Pliskova held on a bit longer than I expected,
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Svitolina also holding on longer than I thought she would

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:13 pm Pliskova held on a bit longer than I expected,
Indeed. And was definitely gifted many additional weeks because of the pandemic and the adjusted rankings. We discussed before, but Pliskova was one of the biggest beneficiaries of those rankings rules.