Tournament & Tour Announcements

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tournament & Tour Announcements

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:11 pm Full prize money at Indian Wells according to Haas. So we can go ahead and write in Shapo's appearance in permanent marker.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Given how the tournaments have not been paying enough of late according to him (even though the money is still obscene by, say, a teacher's pay standard, sigh), I believe his plan is to supplement his income by embarking on a part time rapping career.
I assume, then, that he'll soon realize that tennis actually pays quite well, even when the prize money is not full. :shock: :lol:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

He'll be lucky if 1000 non-tennis fans subscribe to his SoundCloud. Assuming he used an actual studio to record his "album" he won't recoup the cost of production based on tennis fans. His tennis career is the only reason anyone is bothering to listen to 10 seconds of his music. Gotta stop giving this nonsense legs like he's the next coming of musical talent when I could throw a rock on a random city street corner and hit more talent than this.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:54 am He'll be lucky if 1000 non-tennis fans subscribe to his SoundCloud. Assuming he used an actual studio to record his "album" he won't recoup the cost of production based on tennis fans. His tennis career is the only reason anyone is bothering to listen to 10 seconds of his music. Gotta stop giving this nonsense legs like he's the next coming of musical talent when I could throw a rock on a random city street corner and hit more talent than this.
Indeed, it's a bit similar to some on WTA thinking they could be models and then discovering that it was all based on them being tennis players after all.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But the thing is that some of the WTA players COULD be models... ;)
(Hantuchova, Sharapova, Kirilenko, Caro and a few more)
I am taking your words (everybody's) as an assessment of his musical talent, as there is no way I will even do the search in YT.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Some of those you mentioned are very good looking, but there are others even more "perfect" if athletic ability not required anymore.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's much healthier to be admired for something like one's tennis ability than it is to be admired for one's mere physical looks. Tennis ability requires talent, commitment and hard work; taking a 'pretty picture' requires only a good photographer, and/or good lighting technician and/or good make-up artist - and has little to nothing to do with the person being photographed.
Tennis ability is based on substance, and physical looks is based on superficiality.
Of the two, I'd much rather be recognized for my tennis ability (or any other talent which requires commitment, dedication, and effort) than for mere looks. Leave the 'PLEASE LOOK AT ME AND TELL ME I'M PRETTY' stuff for the Kardashians, etc., and other insecure people who possess no other viable talent.

I also feel, after studying plenty of psychology and sociology, that the desperate seeking of attention and validation through 'social media' - number of 'likes', 'followers', 'views', etc. - is very unhealthy psychologically. It's an illusion - there is little to no substance to it, and it produces more insecurity. I'm far from the only one with this perspective.

As for Dennis and his rapping... I feel that he, too, should prefer to be admired for his tennis ability than for his rapping which, as others have mentioned, would certainly not get the attention of anyone outside of his family if he were not a top tennis player. And even the attention of his family would likely not be very positive.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Go ahead. Put on some high heels and a Victoria Secret's lingerie set and try to walk down a runway. See how easy that is!!!!
(Joking ;) )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

US Open to use Hawk-Eye line-calling technology on all tennis courts for first time

D'Arcy Maine

The US Open will use Hawk-Eye Live electronic line-calling on all competition courts during this year's tournament for the first time, the USTA said in a statement on Monday.

Seven of the nine US Open Series events leading into the year's final major, including the Western & Southern Open and the National Bank Open, will also fully use the technology this summer.

The USTA used electronic line-calling for the Western & Southern Open and US Open on all courts except Arthur Ashe and Louis Armstrong Stadiums in 2020 when both events were played at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. According to the USTA, Hawk-Eye Live made around 314,000 calls during the two tournaments.

James Japhet, the managing director of Hawk-Eye North America, told The New York Times in September that just 14 of the 225,000 calls made during the first week of the 2020 US Open were erroneous -- and those were the result of human error by operators in the control room.

The 2021 Australian Open was the first major to be played entirely without line judges. Player reaction was mostly positive throughout the tournament, but there were a handful of instances in which it appeared during replays the technology got it wrong.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... urts-first
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

JazzNU wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:12 pm US Open to use Hawk-Eye line-calling technology on all tennis courts for first time

D'Arcy Maine

The US Open will use Hawk-Eye Live electronic line-calling on all competition courts during this year's tournament for the first time, the USTA said in a statement on Monday.

Seven of the nine US Open Series events leading into the year's final major, including the Western & Southern Open and the National Bank Open, will also fully use the technology this summer.

The USTA used electronic line-calling for the Western & Southern Open and US Open on all courts except Arthur Ashe and Louis Armstrong Stadiums in 2020 when both events were played at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. According to the USTA, Hawk-Eye Live made around 314,000 calls during the two tournaments.

James Japhet, the managing director of Hawk-Eye North America, told The New York Times in September that just 14 of the 225,000 calls made during the first week of the 2020 US Open were erroneous -- and those were the result of human error by operators in the control room.

The 2021 Australian Open was the first major to be played entirely without line judges. Player reaction was mostly positive throughout the tournament, but there were a handful of instances in which it appeared during replays the technology got it wrong.

Damn.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

the Moz wrote:
JazzNU wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:12 pm US Open to use Hawk-Eye line-calling technology on all tennis courts for first time

D'Arcy Maine

Damn.
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by JazzNU »

the Moz wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:48 pm Damn.
Not that the US Open doesn't tend to be more open to technology anyway (first grand slam to use Hawk-Eye, then first GS to have it on every court), but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a certain someone's camp has been lobbying hard for approximately 8.5 months to go in this direction.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

JazzNU wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:30 am
the Moz wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:48 pm Damn.
Not that the US Open doesn't tend to be more open to technology anyway (first grand slam to use Hawk-Eye, then first GS to have it on every court), but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a certain someone's camp has been lobbying hard for approximately 8.5 months to go in this direction.
Yep. For sure :thumbsup:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:11 pm

I thought everything in Switzerland was good re the virus?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein