Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Suliso Latvia

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by Suliso »

It just might have something to do with the weak state of US men's tennis...
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Fastbackss wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:32 pm According to Ben Rothenberg the women's final has outdrawn the men's (in USA) for 5 of the last 7 years.
they have also outdrawn in the semi's, every year 2015-2020, despite those always being against the season opening NFL game.

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

^^^ FYI, this doesn't even take into account college football, which is a huge draw on Saturdays against the women's final. College football is the unofficial second most popular sport league in the US.

No idea why people keep trying to pretend women's tennis isn't a draw outside of sexist viewpoints.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:14 pm ...

If you insist that we shall have "big four" no matter what )) Then yes - out of active players - Berrettini. But if we believe that Thiem will return in full force - then of course he is the guy. But my point was in the new "big four" Berrettini would be quite a distant 4th from the other 3.

For instance take career win percentage:
M - 68.23
Z - 67.99
T - 66.91
B - 64.12

You can see that the differences between the first three are much smaller than their distance from Berrettini.
Nobody is insisting. I said "If you "need"", with my initial need being in quotes. The media narrative would like a "Big 4", but that is simply marketing.
Right now, it is as Suliso says. They are the "Best Three" (if you exclude Novak) currently playing, and nothing more. They are nowhere near THE BIG ANYTHING, specially after what the real Big Three have done for almost two decades.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:09 pm
mick1303 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:14 pm ...

If you insist that we shall have "big four" no matter what )) Then yes - out of active players - Berrettini. But if we believe that Thiem will return in full force - then of course he is the guy. But my point was in the new "big four" Berrettini would be quite a distant 4th from the other 3.

For instance take career win percentage:
M - 68.23
Z - 67.99
T - 66.91
B - 64.12

You can see that the differences between the first three are much smaller than their distance from Berrettini.
Nobody is insisting. I said "If you "need"", with my initial need being in quotes. The media narrative would like a "Big 4", but that is simply marketing.
Right now, it is as Suliso says. They are the "Best Three" (if you exclude Novak) currently playing, and nothing more. They are nowhere near THE BIG ANYTHING, specially after what the real Big Three have done for almost two decades.
Comparing to 20-20-20 every accomplishment will look insignificant for a while. Like from the pow of the elephant there is not much difference between the lady-bag and the tarantula. But if you compare those two on their own - indeed there is a difference.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

One way of saying that Bencic withdrew from her match...

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:08 pm One way of saying that Bencic withdrew from her match...

Just wishful thinking. Bencic serving at 4-1.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Worthy of our GREAT TENNIS JOURNALISM topic :D
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I thought it was because I did predictions for only about the fourth time this year and took Bencic!
:steven:
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Looks like the ATP is about to crack down on bathroom breaks, and I imagine the WTA will also soon impose new rules

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... atp-source
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 pm Looks like the ATP is about to crack down on bathroom breaks, and I imagine the WTA will also soon impose new rules

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... atp-source
Congratulations, Andy Murray.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

I played a Jan 6 insurrectionist in a league match last night. It came to light after I (barely) lost. Had I known, I would have tried harder. He and his mom are currently being prosecuted - double fault!
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I know there are some "doomsayers" here and elsewhere, but I believe the future of WTA is very bright. Lots of strong young players coming up right now and almost all of them likeable too. I'm sure there will be a few who'll fade, but even then there should still be many Slam winners and exciting tennis between them.

ATP is a bit more concerning to me. Not so much because the big three almost gone, but because the follow up generation is not particularly likeable on personal level. Maybe the next next generation (Alcaraz. FAA, Sinner etc) will be better in this regard.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Google translation from the French.

More big ATP tournaments and more money from 2023

The ATP board approved for 2023 the first measures of a strategic plan aimed at guaranteeing increases in prize money, a more transparent sharing of winnings between tournaments and players and a predominant place for the Masters 1000, the majority of which are will take place over 11-12 days.
F. Ra
updated September 18, 2021 at 8:05 am

In a document that L'Équipe had the opportunity to consult, Andrea Gaudenzi, the boss of ATP, confirmed that certain points of the strategic plan, on which the organization has been working for 18 months, have been adopted by the board. . And which are supposed to be applied from 2023. This concerns in particular an agreement on a new formula for sharing profits between tournaments and players, higher levels of prize money guaranteed in the long term, and the increase in the number of tournaments. ATP Masters 1000 called to become 12 day events.

“This represents significant progress for our sport and the way our players and tournament members operate under the equal partnership of the ATP Tour,” said Gaudenzi. It is only through this spirit of partnership, transparency and alignment of interests that we can truly maximize our potential and focus on the competition we face in the larger sports and entertainment landscape. "

These measures come at a time when we can witness increasingly strong disputes on the legitimacy of the mode of governance while growing claims of many players considering themselves financially wronged by the tournaments. Created under the leadership of Novak Djokovic and Vasek Pospisil, the PTPA (Professional Tennis Player Association) is the symbol of this internal rebellion.

The main measures to remember
- In the Masters 1000 category, the prize money should increase globally from 62.5 million dollars (53.2M euros) in 2021 to 76.4 million dollars (65M euros, + 22%) during year 1 of the plan, with annual increases of 2.5% to follow.

- The end-of-year bonus in Masters 1000 will go from 11.5M dollars (9.8M euros) to 15.5M dollars (13.2M euros) to reach 18.4M dollars (15, 6M euros) in 2030. And will be shared between thirty players (currently 12).

- More transparency with independent audited financial data for the Masters 1000 which offers full transparency to players over a period of 31 years.

- Concerning the calendar: increase in the number of Masters 1000 tournaments called to become 11-12 day events, with five more on an already existing format in Indian Wells and Miami (twenty additional days of playing time in this category and " 305 additional job opportunities per year for players in singles, doubles and qualifying tournaments in these expanded tables , ”it said). 10 Masters 1000 (instead of 9 currently) and 16 ATP 500 (instead of 13) are now planned .

published on September 17, 2021 at 11:33 a.m.
updated September 18, 2021 at 8:05 am

https://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualite ... 23/1286137