Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ti-amie »

skatingfan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:41 am
ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:05 am The reason people get bent out of shape about it is because such factual errors wouldn't be tolerated in any other major sport. It's only tennis where you see such mistakes take place.
People would complain about it, but they still happen. It's not about the sport, it's about the media, and the cuts to that industry. The transition from legacy media is not going well.
That's a valid point. Still I can't imagine someone covering MLB, the NFL, NHL or NBA putting out erroneous stats and not being dragged by fans so hard that a correction was as quickly as possible. This could be bloggers or major sports outlets.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Also would any of us have made such a mistake? No way I would have. Maybe some other, but not something related to rankings.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:48 am
skatingfan wrote: Editors for things like this simply don't exist anymore.
I don’t know anything about Tennis 365, but I would be shocked if they have fact-checkers. The story editor should fact-check, and I’m sure they know tennis and take some shortcuts, assuming things here and there. For instance, I wouldn’t have double-checked that Iga is No. 1. I know she is.

Even with fact-checking, errors still happen. They will always happen. Not worth getting bent out of shape over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The reason people get bent out of shape about it is because such factual errors wouldn't be tolerated in any other major sport. It's only tennis where you see such mistakes take place.
Are you sure? Are any of us readying the baseball or golf version of Tennis 365? It’s a blog, not a top publication?

Post by meganfernandez »

skatingfan wrote:
ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:05 am The reason people get bent out of shape about it is because such factual errors wouldn't be tolerated in any other major sport. It's only tennis where you see such mistakes take place.
People would complain about it, but they still happen. It's not about the sport, it's about the media, and the cuts to that industry. The transition from legacy media is not going well.
And the Internet demands wildly fast turnaround, especially for sports, and that’s how silly mistakes are made.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote:Also would any of us have made such a mistake? No way I would have. Maybe some other, but not something related to rankings.
Not so sure about that. I have made several silly mistakes. Trust me, it’s easier than you’d think when you’re rushing and so so sure you know a “fact.” :)

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I write scientific papers and patents. It's a habit to check and triple check everything.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm I write scientific papers and patents. It's a habit to check and triple check everything.
Have you ever submitted something with a mistake?

Writers and editors should double-check, as well. My guess is the professional ones do, but a few typos and factual errors still get through. I've been so embarrassed by some mistakes I have published. At the US Open, I had to turn in match reports within 15 minutes of the match. I could add to them later, but it was stressful and I made mistakes. They were edited but not fact-checked. And I don't consider myself sloppy. Maybe I am.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:52 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm I write scientific papers and patents. It's a habit to check and triple check everything.
Writers should and the editors should. I'm not saying the mistakes are justified. Some of them are understandable and inconsequential.

Yes, but at typo level not anything major. To be fair it's 5-10 articles/patents per year not two per week.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:54 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:52 pm
Writers should and the editors should. I'm not saying the mistakes are justified. Some of them are understandable and inconsequential.

Yes, but at typo level not anything major. To be fair it's 5-10 articles/patents per year not two per week.
Or with deadline pressure? :) Rushing creates mistakes, but I agree that a lot of people are assuming they know things and don't double-check. Guilty myself.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

When I was actively blogging about tennis I tried to make sure that there were no such errors. A blogger does have the time to, when typing up a post, to stop and say wait, is what I'm saying accurate? Let me check. Then again I was a lit major and write fiction for fun so it's second nature for me to fact check things.

Also I didn't monetize my blog so I didn't have any pressure to submit a post within a certain time frame.

I just can't imagine someone covering the NBA playoffs posting Jalen Brunson's stats and making an error that stayed up for any length of time.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

they all are pretty good, actually...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:38 pm they all are pretty good, actually...
They just have to realize that they can't hit an open stance one-handed backhand, and they'd probably be fine - they'd lose every match but the ball strike would be nice.