Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:10 pm Somebody was too blatant in her activities?
Russian tennis player Yana Sizikova arrested at French Open in match-fixing investigation
We'll be seeing more and more stories like this, sadly, as betting and gambling become more and more prevalent.
It won't be pretty.

Sometimes the players may be voluntarily complicit... but with the undeniable presence of organized crime within gambling, there may be instances where the player is coerced to participate through threats.
Maybe that's even the case in this situation.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Something that the Anti-corruption division (I forget their real name) should indeed look into. It is not like any of the mafias care about breaking somebody's knees, of their families'.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Hooray for Gilbert and Murray. The MTO usage should be discussed.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I propose that the top ATP and WTA executives, and 6 player representatives (must be active players - 3 of each gender) hold a high meeting together to discuss at length the matter of Medical Time Outs and bathroom breaks - and that they interrupt the Wimbledon Men's Final to hold this meeting - just for irony's sake.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Shouldn't this be a bigger story? Can you imagine any of the men currently in the Big Three ever saying something like this instead of fighting to find a way to make another point? Everyone always drags the "Next Gen" WTA but this is pathetic. Becker's comment in the article is 100% correct.

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

All the attention was on 39 year old Federer instead...
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:58 pm Shouldn't this be a bigger story? Can you imagine any of the men currently in the Big Three ever saying something like this instead of fighting to find a way to make another point? Everyone always drags the "Next Gen" WTA but this is pathetic. Becker's comment in the article is 100% correct.

Thank you so much for posting this. I was watching that match and never saw any hint at all of an injury. Musetti's movement was the same throughout the match. So I was really wondering where he'd gotten injured.

I'm trying to find the article on that website but can't. Did he say that he retired because he just couldn't win any more points? If he said that, I hope the ATP really penalized him to the maximum extent possible.

None of the articles on that site appear when I click on them. Is it just me? Is there a paywall? I looked for a place to subscribe but didn't see anything.

Kevin
Last edited by dmforever on Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The story linked to in the tweet has the quote.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:12 pm The story linked to in the tweet has the quote.
I found the story at tennismajors.com but nothing on that site opens for me.

This may be the same article.

https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/roland ... tory.shtml

I just listened to it. Unless he really apologizes, he's just lost a fan. For me it's a huge sign of disrespect. I hope his camp gives him a good talking to.

Kevin

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is what Becker said. Weird. It opened last night and now it won't.

“The young guns don’t understand that. It’s not just playing tennis; it’s about character …”
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Unless there is some issue with his English and he could not transmit his idea properly, indeed, that is pretty lame and a total disrespect for the game. If you can't win a point, try harder or take your beating.
In a slow fashion, there have been a lot of retirements in this tournament, and plenty with controversy. This one adds to the last list.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

From Jose Morgado:

Also Becker said this:
Boris Becker was so angry at his live comment during match

" You need the balls to take a bagel in the 5th against a champ like Nole for respect! It is a GS. It is five sets, it is very hard - it is a slam"!