Our main board to talk about our sport
skatingfan Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by skatingfan »

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:15 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:55 pm Appearance money is up to the tournament. It is not regulated in any manner.
doesn't mean players have to take it. for the super-wealthy players, it's a little shameless ... except they might not even care. They might be willing to play without fees. Maybe they do it for their agents and staff. They have a lot of mouths to feed. And maybe appearance fee funds some players' foundations.
Why wouldn't they take it though? It's mostly super wealthy players taking from the super wealthy tournaments...not like if they don't take it the tournament is then going to give it to less wealthy players.
:steven:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:21 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:15 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:55 pm Appearance money is up to the tournament. It is not regulated in any manner.
doesn't mean players have to take it. for the super-wealthy players, it's a little shameless ... except they might not even care. They might be willing to play without fees. Maybe they do it for their agents and staff. They have a lot of mouths to feed. And maybe appearance fee funds some players' foundations.
Why wouldn't they take it though? It's mostly super wealthy players taking from the super wealthy tournaments...not like if they don't take it the tournament is then going to give it to less wealthy players.
If the appearance fees are hurting the sport by depleting prize money, that's the reason not to take it. But we don't know if that theory is true. It has just been alleged.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Plus the overall purses at all tournaments have increased considerably since the 80's (when the topic was discussed), far outpacing inflation. So maybe the split in money is not "fair", but in general all tournaments are better off.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

dmforever wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 am
JazzNU wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:06 am
dmforever wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:56 pm This is a propos of absolutely nothing, but...

Why is the 3-letter code for Spain after Rafa's name ESP? Obviously it's the first three letters in that country's name in its native language, but even if you just look at countries that use the Roman alphabet, Hungary isn't MAG , Sweden isn't SVE, and Germany isn't DEU. I can't think of another country that would use SPA. I'm just curious.

Kevin
Not about the native language. They are their IOC country codes. Traditionally, most IOC codes are based off the French spelling of the country name, but not all go by that. Not sure how long it lasted, but at one point IOC country codes altered based on the host country's language.

I've watched a few too many Olympics Opening Ceremonies. 😊
Hmm, at first glance they don't appear to be widely based on French. The US certainly isn't. Nor are any of the others I mentioned. They all seem to be based on the English spelling except for Spain, hence my question. I'm in my 50's, and I don't think I've ever seen Hungary as MAG or Germany as DEU. It's weird how Spain is the outlier.

Kevin
A few other countries have IOC, ATP and WTA codes that, like ESP for Spain (based on French and/or Spanish name). are not based on the English spelling: NED for Netherlands, SUI for Switzerland, and ROU for Romania (based on French names); and MKD for North Macedonia (based on Macedonian Македонија/Makedonija), for example.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

3mlm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:49 pm
JazzNU wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:06 am

Not about the native language. They are their IOC country codes. Traditionally, most IOC codes are based off the French spelling of the country name, but not all go by that. Not sure how long it lasted, but at one point IOC country codes altered based on the host country's language.

I've watched a few too many Olympics Opening Ceremonies. 😊
Hmm, at first glance they don't appear to be widely based on French. The US certainly isn't. Nor are any of the others I mentioned. They all seem to be based on the English spelling except for Spain, hence my question. I'm in my 50's, and I don't think I've ever seen Hungary as MAG or Germany as DEU. It's weird how Spain is the outlier.

Kevin
A few other countries have IOC, ATP and WTA codes that, like ESP for Spain (based on French and/or Spanish name). are not based on the English spelling: NED for Netherlands, SUI for Switzerland, and ROU for Romania (based on French names); and MKD for North Macedonia (based on Macedonian Македонија/Makedonija), for example.

Great examples. Thanks. But again, why some and not others? It seems random.

Kevin
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Kevin

You can look it up, it's definitely based on French language names. Which isn't surprising, French is the primary official language for the Olympics. I think you're possibly too focused on tennis countries as well as exceptions. Spain is not an outlier. If you look at a more complete list, you'll more codes based on French spelling. There being exceptions doesn't change that that is the main origin of the many of the country codes. You'd have to ask the IOC why some follow it and others do not.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:33 pm

Kevin

You can look it up, it's definitely based on French language names. Which isn't surprising, French is the primary official language for the Olympics. I think you're possibly too focused on tennis countries as well as exceptions. Spain is not an outlier. If you look at a more complete list, you'll more codes based on French spelling. There being exceptions doesn't change that that is the main origin of the many of the country codes. You'd have to ask the IOC why some follow it and others do not.
Someone else posted a list which compared the two languages and names. I'll repost it here and let you draw your own conclusions. :) I still think it's weird though that there is not one standard.
Country codes for the Olympics

Kevin
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Wimbledon has announced they are scrapping the rest day on the middle Sunday from next year. One the hand- yey I hate no tennis day in the middle of a slam! On the other-noooo I love manic Monday in the second week
Mary, queen of shots
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Liamvalid wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:32 am Wimbledon has announced they are scrapping the rest day on the middle Sunday from next year. One the hand- yey I hate no tennis day in the middle of a slam! On the other-noooo I love manic Monday in the second week
Round of 16 will now be played over middle Sunday & Monday. Players will not be allowed to rent private housing and instead have to stay in hotels. They will be allowed an entourage of three. Regular lines judges will be used while the shot clock will be used for the first time here. And all events will go ahead as usual except Invitational Doubles.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

the Moz wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:57 am
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:32 am Wimbledon has announced they are scrapping the rest day on the middle Sunday from next year. One the hand- yey I hate no tennis day in the middle of a slam! On the other-noooo I love manic Monday in the second week
Round of 16 will now be played over middle Sunday & Monday. Players will not be allowed to rent private housing and instead have to stay in hotels. They will be allowed an entourage of three. Regular lines judges will be used while the shot clock will be used for the first time here. And all events will go ahead as usual except Invitational Doubles.
Chances that Federer stays in a hotel and doesn't bring the whole fam for likely 3 weeks? If it wasn't Wimbledon, I'd say 50/50 at best. But I think he'll do it if he's healthy and thinks he has a good chance to win. Maybe he'll find another player to take his kids as their guests and no one else. :) "Look, Sascha, do you want back with Team 8 or not?"

One thing I liked about Manic Monday was that it put both halves of the draw on the same schedule (I'd have to look, but guessing they stayed on the same schedule the rest of the tournament). Bugs me when one player has an extra day off between matches late in the tournament. REALLY bugs me when one player has no day off and the opponent does (tends to be women, playing quarters on Wed and semi on Thursday at one of the Slams). If happens due to weather, okay. But it seems crazy to schedule it that way. If you go back and look at results, it might not actually matter. But seems like it could.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It has indeed gone too far.
And it is time that social media do something about it.
If I were in any way famous I would simply not have an account. No need to put up with the aggravation.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »