Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Omess Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by Omess »

JazzNU wrote:Jon Wertheim is on Tennis Channel saying the PTPA includes women. Despite nothing in their statements saying this or their questions all being directed at ATP. What am I missing here?

I think they are clearly focus on the ATP at least for the start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Just a random thought. Isn't it interesting that all the comments about the Draws have been for the men's draw and as I type this there have been views but no comments in the thread for the women's draw. If we're the cognoscenti of those who post on tennis fan boards I'd say the WTA has a problem. Is it the product or the marketing of said product?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'll probably end up watching more women. Not a Djokovic fan and nobody else really have a shot.

Then again we're hardly typical here.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

It will be mostly WTA for me too. I have barely watched a men's tennis match since Andy Roddick retired.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Right now, I believe that the two stories are set. In the ATP, the winner is "pre-ordained" (DMForever wrote wonderfully about why this is not so). In the WTA, there is no clear winner, so it is kind of so open that there are few comments.
We were talking about that BUT in the actual Wimbledon topic. I certainly will not be able to choose what I will see because I will be stuck with ESPN/Argentinean coverage, meaning they will show Podoroska and Maria Camila until they lose, maybe a little Mugu (the Venezuelan roots) and then some Serena.
But give us a couple of hours. Let's see how that poll starts picking up people. And if some of the comets fly by and leave a message.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:03 pm Just a random thought. Isn't it interesting that all the comments about the Draws have been for the men's draw and as I type this there have been views but no comments in the thread for the women's draw. If we're the cognoscenti of those who post on tennis fan boards I'd say the WTA has a problem. Is it the product or the marketing of said product?
I don't think it's that. I have much more interest in the women than the men. But there were new messages in the men, so that thread stayed on the front page of the forum and had additional comments posted. The women's fell down as many other threads got new comments, mostly not about Wimbledon. There's also the matter of quite a bit of discussion the last week or so already about the contenders on the women's draw that wasn't had about the men's, but it took place in the regular Wimbledon thread.

I don't think the WTA has a problem other than trying to get people and places to move past their sexism. That's going to take time and is obviously much broader than just tennis, but maybe one day in the not too distant future, @ponchi won't have to scrounge around the internet to watch a women's tennis match that doesn't feature a superstar or South American.
Last edited by JazzNU on Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

scrounge :o :shock: :? ?
(That cracked me up :rofl: :thumbsup: )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Serena is not going to Olympics. No surprise really given her age and Slam focus. This will allow Pegula to participate if she wants to.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:51 pm Serena is not going to Olympics. No surprise really given her age and Slam focus. This will allow Pegula to participate if she wants to.
She said previously that she likely wouldn't be on the Olympic team because Olympia couldn't be there with her, that she hasn't spent more than 24 hours away from her and didn't see this as the time that would start. Slam focus and age weren't part of the conversation when she previously discussed it.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Think she couldn't have gotten a special permission for Olympia to travel with her? I bet there were other reasons too.
Omess Canada

Post by Omess »

Suliso wrote:Think she couldn't have gotten a special permission for Olympia to travel with her? I bet there were other reasons too.
May be Serena is a “special case” but there is a Canadian athlete who will have to leave her 3 months old baby home if she wants to go

Breastfeeding Canadian basketball player Kim Gaucher says she cannot take baby to Olympic Games

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/06/25/spor ... index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:06 pm Think she couldn't have gotten a special permission for Olympia to travel with her? I bet there were other reasons too.
In the interview I just read, she said wasn't going for a variety of reasons, but mainly because she doesn't want to

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »