TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

If she doesn't pick up a racquet this whole year, totally understandable.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

How does that relate to Sascha?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Can't afford both? Remember when Adidas had to decide between Novak and Andy? Sure, they got the wrong future #1, but they simply could not pay the both. Maybe this is the same case.

Post by JazzNU »

I wasn't sure and didn't want to assume. Like is this to mean Sascha is no longer with Adidas? That he's gotten a downgrade since he's not in the ad? I could come up with a few other scenarios, so I'd like to hear about how this new FAA contract relates.

Adidas may have gotten the #1 part wrong, but think they chose the right player. Novak and his also-ran endorsements don't speak to someone who is a cash cow for their brands.

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:04 pm I wasn't sure and didn't want to assume. Like is this to mean Sascha is no longer with Adidas? That he's gotten a downgrade since he's not in the ad? I could come up with a few other scenarios, so I'd like to hear about how this new FAA contract relates.

Adidas may have gotten the #1 part wrong, but think they chose the right player. Novak and his also-ran endorsements don't speak to someone who is a cash cow for their brands.
I take it as Jon suggesting this is a sign that Adidas won't renew Sascha and are replacing him with FAA as the face of their Next Gen ATP game. I don't know why they can't have both, but that's what Jon is implying.

Post by JazzNU »

Serena will be a guest on Colbert tonight if anyone wants to watch.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Simona Halep

Aryna Sabalenka

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And, of course, Nick has to remain Nick, even after a full year of being locked down, which would have given him lots of time for introspection:
Did not miss tennis or most players, Kyrgios says ahead of return

Good for you, Nick. In the meantime, millions of people around the world probably did miss the sport simply because, you know, we love it but we were also in a lockdown.
And we play it at 1/100th the level you do.
But you did not miss it because, well, you are you, and you are a jerk.

He is the sole player that if something ever happens to him that stops him from playing, I will not say "Oh, I am sorry for him". Because even the greatest of all the previous jerks on court (Mac, Connors, Nastase) showed that they loved the sport.

Must be that here I am, with my bum elbow, unable to play. And it is driving me insane.

Post by JazzNU »

Players are posting on IG up a storm FYI. Mostly IG Stories not photos, but they've gotten out of quarantine and out and about. That goes for players on soft and strict quarantine. They need to dial it back a bit if you ask me as to not seem completely tone deaf, but regardless, if you follow anyone, checking out their accounts the next few days is a good idea.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:22 pm And, of course, Nick has to remain Nick, even after a full year of being locked down, which would have given him lots of time for introspection:
Did not miss tennis or most players, Kyrgios says ahead of return

Good for you, Nick. In the meantime, millions of people around the world probably did miss the sport simply because, you know, we love it but we were also in a lockdown.
And we play it at 1/100th the level you do.
But you did not miss it because, well, you are you, and you are a jerk.

He is the sole player that if something ever happens to him that stops him from playing, I will not say "Oh, I am sorry for him". Because even the greatest of all the previous jerks on court (Mac, Connors, Nastase) showed that they loved the sport.

Must be that here I am, with my bum elbow, unable to play. And it is driving me insane.
Nick actually loves tennis - probably more than most pro players. This is evident if you've ever seen him on a practice court. He absolutely adores the game of tennis, and has a huge amount of fun on the practice court - often with his peers.
But he despises the pro game. Way too much pressure for this insecure adolescent. He hates the pressure of feeling he has to perform in the spotlight... he hates the seriousness of official matches... he hates the rules that the umpire enforces...
His perpetual claims that he 'doesn't care' are nothing more than an ill-conceived effort to take the pressure off.

He may well be one of the most naturally talented humans who've ever picked up a tennis racquet - and I have no doubt he could beat pretty much anyone on the planet on any court with no-one watching and nothing at stake.
But within the environment of professional tennis, he is like a fish out of water, and all too often reacts like a frightened, insecure 13 year old child.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sorry. He did not say "I did not miss the tour. I did not miss playing in front of crowds". He said "I did not miss tennis".
There comes a moment in which you need to take a man at his word, not go completely Freudian.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I don't take him at his word at all... He keeps saying that he 'doesn't care', for example - but his behaviour shows that he very much cares. If he didn't care, he wouldn't get upset - at umpires, fans, other players, etc. If he truly didn't care, he'd be indifferent. Actually, if he truly didn't care, he wouldn't be on the tour at all.
If anything, he cares too much for his own good.

I've seen him on the practice court several times. Each time, he was having an absolute blast. Nothing at stake. No pressure.

I don't think it's a Freudian stretch at all to conclude that he loves the game, but hates the pressure associated with the pro game.
Last edited by Deuce on Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:11 am I've seen him on the practice court several times. Each time, he was having an absolute blast. Nothing at stake. No pressure.

It's hardly a Freudian stretch to conclude that he loves the game, but hates the pressure associated with the pro game.
Nick may or may not live the game. We don't know. And it's a spectrum anyway. He loves to compete and he's good at tennis so he keeps doing it, but I don't think he LOVES the game. I also don't condemn him for saying he didn't miss it. It was pretty obvious that he wasn't enjoying the tour. Maybe he'll never be a full-time tour player. But people change, lives changes. Maybe he'll figure out the balance that works for him. I couldn't care less if he does or not. I waffle between some empathy and understanding and then just not giving a (expletive) when he acts petty and immature.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Well, at least one other person sees Nick the same way I do... This is from a 2019 Tennis.com article:
“My belief is that Kyrgios genuinely loves tennis. Years ago, he built an exceptionally eclectic and effective playing style that blended power, touch, movement and confidence. It’s impossible to imagine someone engaging with the game in such a creative, playful way while simultaneously loathing it... Kyrgios so wishes to be cool, tries so hard to be indifferent—even downright hostile—to the craft to which he has dedicated himself.”
I’ve heard others also saying that they believe he truly loves tennis.

The article also mentions his insecurity and his pretending to not care.
(This article didn’t influence my perception of Kyrgios at all - I just now read it for the first time.)
https://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2019/08 ... ock/84656/

I'd like to hear from people who've seen Nick on a practice court. Did it look like he was having a blast, or did he look unhappy and like he didn't want to be there?
R.I.P. Amal...