TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by Deuce »

Liamvalid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:51 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:28 pm We want 20-something year old's to act 35.
We forget how young she, and a lot of others, are.
I really don’t get the criticism aimed at girls like Bianca. Like you said she’s 20, and most 20 year olds have a large social media presence, whatever their job. The nurses I know at work save lives during the day, take selfies at night! To criticise athletes for posting personal photos on Insta shows a massive ignorance on how the world works nowadays
I'm hardly ignorant of "how the world works nowadays" - I realize all too well how things are. And I find it quite unhealthy.
You can disagree with me all you like - but my conclusion, after a significant degree of studying the psychology and sociology of it, remains that it is very superficial, self-important, illusionary, and encourages a greater and greater insecurity - all of which I feel are unhealthy.
I suggest you look beyond the mere surface and read some psychologically and sociologically based perspectives on the effects of social media.
Selfies are called 'ego portraits' in French. :)

With the internet, people are anxiously seeking the public stage and their '15 minutes of fame' (which has, sadly, become far more than 15 minutes), as they desperately chase 'likes', 'views', and 'followers'.
"Fame is proof that the people are gullible." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Deuce wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:09 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:28 pm We want 20-something year old's to act 35.
We forget how young she, and a lot of others, are.
I really don’t get the criticism aimed at girls like Bianca. Like you said she’s 20, and most 20 year olds have a large social media presence, whatever their job. The nurses I know at work save lives during the day, take selfies at night! To criticise athletes for posting personal photos on Insta shows a massive ignorance on how the world works nowadays
I'm hardly ignorant of "how the world works nowadays" - I realize all too well how things are. And I find it quite unhealthy.
You can disagree with me all you like - but my conclusion, after a significant degree of studying the psychology and sociology of it, remains that it is very superficial, self-important, illusionary, and encourages a greater and greater insecurity - all of which I feel are unhealthy.
I suggest you look beyond the mere surface and read some psychologically and sociologically based perspectives on the effects of social media.

With the internet, people are anxiously seeking the public stage and their '15 minutes of fame' (which has, sadly, become far more than 15 minutes), as they desperately chase 'likes', 'views', and 'followers'.
Nah, I’m more likely to appreciate a nice photo and move on than spend my time studying the psychology of it. All different kinds of people use social media for different purposes. I like to post photos on Facebook as I live in a different city and my relatives like to see what I’m up to in life for example. Does this make me feel insecure, superficial? Definitely not. Does Bianca cry herself to sleep because she only gets a million likes on a certain post? Well we’d have to ask her that wouldn’t we.
Mary, queen of shots
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Liamvalid wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:26 am

Nah, I’m more likely to appreciate a nice photo and move on than spend my time studying the psychology of it. All different kinds of people use social media for different purposes. I like to post photos on Facebook as I live in a different city and my relatives like to see what I’m up to in life for example. Does this make me feel insecure, superficial? Definitely not. Does Bianca cry herself to sleep because she only gets a million likes on a certain post? Well we’d have to ask her that wouldn’t we.
It’s far more complex than you make it out to be. You are literally only looking at the mere surface. It goes many levels deeper - and not in the silly way you describe with the crying, etc.
But - hey - you’re free to believe me or not; you’re free to choose to not read or study or learn more about it...
That being the case, though, you’re really not in a position to call ME ignorant on the subject.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Deuce wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:21 am
Liamvalid wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:26 am

It’s far more complex than you make it out to be. You are literally only looking at the mere surface. It goes many levels deeper - and not in the silly way you describe with the crying, etc.
But - hey - you’re free to believe me or not; you’re free to choose to not read or study or learn more about it...
That being the case, though, you’re really not in a position to call ME ignorant on the subject.
Didn’t call you ignorant on the subject, if you have time to study psychology then fill your boots. I am saying you appear to be out of touch with how the younger generation operate. As you say there are many levels to this, and for many using social media as outlet is a good positive thing for them. But if seeing these photos annoys you so much, maybe the tennis photo thread just isn’t for you
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Liamvalid wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:32 am
Deuce wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:21 am It’s far more complex than you make it out to be. You are literally only looking at the mere surface. It goes many levels deeper - and not in the silly way you describe with the crying, etc.
Didn’t call you ignorant on the subject, if you have time to study psychology then fill your boots. I am saying you appear to be out of touch with how the younger generation operate. As you say there are many levels to this, and for many using social media as outlet is a good positive thing for them. But if seeing these photos annoys you so much, maybe the tennis photo thread just isn’t for you
Of course you called me ignorant on the subject, as your initial comment was directed at me, as I was the one who commented that these 'PLEASE LOOK AT ME AND TELL ME I'M PRETTY' photos are unhealthy. You didn't address me personally, but it was clear that you were referring to me.
I also read your very first post on this subject a couple of days ago before you deleted it soon after posting it - it was of the same perspective as your other posts on the subject.
And I'm simply saying that it's odd - and ironic - that the person (you) who voluntarily refuses to read or study or learn about the psychology and sociology of 'social media' calls the person (me) who has read and studied and learned about the psychology and sociology of social media, ignorant.
In addition to that, I've also witnessed many young people suffer the negative effects of 'social media', and I've known several of them personally, as I've worked with kids and young adults, in various capacities, for about 30 years.

If I were 'out of touch', as you claim, I would have no opinion on the subject, as I would not know what's going on. On the contrary - I know very well what's going on... I've studied it, I've analyzed it (far more than you have, based on your own words), and so I'm quite in touch not only with what's happening with young people today with regards to 'social media', but also with its effects.
I also have the benefit of different perspectives, as I very much remember how things were - and how young people were - before 'social media' existed.

That you compare your posting of photos so your family can see them with something like Andreescu posting that 'fashion photo' which began this discussion indicates rather clearly that you don't understand at all what I'm saying.
Perhaps you choose to not understand...

Now, I realize that it's quite convenient to deny what's happening - or to hide one's head in the sand... I choose not to do that. I enjoy looking beyond the mere surface of things and gaining as much insight and knowledge as I can. You don't - at least insofar as this subject is concerned, you've admitted that. That's fine. And, as I said, you have every right in the world to disagree with me (though I wish you'd present a better argument for your position than simply describing the mere surface of the subject). But for you to turn around and claim that I am ignorant on the subject and 'out of touch' with what's happening, after I've let you know that I've studied this deeply, are very inaccurate statements on your part.
R.I.P. Amal...

mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Hi all... this is a light-hearted thread with some news and photos that professional tennis players choose to share about their off-court life. While we don't shy away from going off-topic here at TAT2, maybe a philosophical discussion on the social zeitgeist belongs in other threads.

More importantly, as a reminder of our rules, please be respectful and don't get into personal insults - there is some skating near the lines on this here.

Perhaps, this is an issue on which we can agree to disagree.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Simply agreeing to disagree, among other things, discourages discussion - as rather eloquently explained here by the creator of this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=38

I don't particularly like Liam referring to me as being ignorant - but I will defend his right to state that, and for me to post a rebuttal, and for him to post his further thoughts, and for me to do the same... this is the definition of discussion.

I think discussion of different perspectives is quite healthy - in this thread or in any other -, and I, personally, would not discourage it.
Forums like this are also called message boards or discussion boards. Discussion is the purpose. Sometimes there is disagreement. Sometimes there is passion. Sometimes there is debate. It's fine to express opinions and disagreements - no-one is going to agree with everything and everyone, that's simply not possible.
We're all adults here, and discussion, whether in agreement or in disagreement, both in life and on internet discussion boards, is part of the natural human discourse.
R.I.P. Amal...

Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:44 pm Hi all... this is a light-hearted thread with some news and photos that professional tennis players choose to share about their off-court life. While we don't shy away from going off-topic here at TAT2, maybe a philosophical discussion on the social zeitgeist belongs in other threads.

More importantly, as a reminder of our rules, please be respectful and don't get into personal insults - there is some skating near the lines on this here.

Fair enough, my responses to Deuce came from a place of emotion, rather than intellect-something I usually manage to avoid on public forums. I’m not normally an avid Bianca fan or anything but I feel she gets unfair criticism on here, which often sends me into big brother defensive mode, something I will try to keep in check
Mary, queen of shots
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Liamvalid wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:04 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:44 pm Hi all... this is a light-hearted thread with some news and photos that professional tennis players choose to share about their off-court life. While we don't shy away from going off-topic here at TAT2, maybe a philosophical discussion on the social zeitgeist belongs in other threads.

Fair enough, my responses to Deuce came from a place of emotion, rather than intellect-something I usually manage to avoid on public forums. I’m not normally an avid Bianca fan or anything but I feel she gets unfair criticism on here, which often sends me into big brother defensive mode, something I will try to keep in check
No no no. Please don't apologize. Your reaction was totally fine. All you said was that it was fine to post a selfie.

Kevin
Last edited by dmforever on Wed May 26, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Dear all.
Everybody in the last few posts have acted within the rules of the forum. I see no insults here, from the beginning. I can't find the word IGNORANT being flipped at somebody else, nor I find reciprocation of that.
Still, we know our rules and we know who we are. The one thing inherited from TAT1.0 is our mutual respect for each other and our ideas. While I see no breaking of such a guideline, we can at times come closer to an area where we would prefer not to be.
Let's use our collective elegance to remain well within our mutually respectfully dealing with each others.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:19 pm Dear all.
Everybody in the last few posts have acted within the rules of the forum. I see no insults here, from the beginning. I can't find the word IGNORANT being flipped at somebody else, nor I find reciprocation of that.
Still, we know our rules and we know who we are. The one thing inherited from TAT1.0 is our mutual respect for each other and our ideas. While I see not breaking of such a guideline, we can at times come closer to an area where we would prefer not to be.
Let's use our collective elegance to remain well within our mutually respectfully dealing with each others.
Does this mean I can make a Deuce Instagram parody account or no? :)
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Let's go back to pictures :D

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I still say she has a certain something that is very appealing.
And the clothing looks great.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Objectively she looks great, but somehow I don't find her all that appealing. I couldn't explain why...
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm I still say she has a certain something that is very appealing.
And the clothing looks great.
It's a very weird angle for the clothes, I think.