TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Suliso Latvia

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by Suliso »

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. In highly infected places people can easily catch the virus through bad luck by simply going to work or taking public transport and no that can't be avoided for those (myself included) who don't have fully computer based jobs.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:38 pm I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. In highly infected places people can easily catch the virus through bad luck by simply going to work or taking public transport and no that can't be avoided for those (myself included) who don't have fully computer based jobs.
Sorry, Suliso, but the majority of people who contract the virus contract it due to irresponsible behaviour. They either believe they are invincible, or they believe the virus is a hoax, or they believe that they simply will not contract it by magic, and so need not take precautions.

Yes, some people contract it by some sort of fluke, which I did mention. But they are in the minority among those who do contract it.

The reason why there are so many restrictions placed on us is not because the majority of transmissions are the result of 'bad luck', but rather because the majority of transmissions are the result of irresponsible behaviour. And the restrictions are an attempt to control the irresponsible behaviour.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:38 pm I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. In highly infected places people can easily catch the virus through bad luck by simply going to work or taking public transport and no that can't be avoided for those (myself included) who don't have fully computer based jobs.
Yes, many people have little choice but to be out and about, and that's a different story. And I have a lot of sympathy for people who take some risks, too - this is an incredibly hard thing to live through. A lot of people live alone, or live in tiny places that aren't easy to stay in for days and days on end, or who really do suffer mentally from isolation. There are a million circumstances and varying degrees of hardship. I'm talking about people who have the means to isolate from the biggest known risks. Sure, I don't know everything about Murray's life but that's not how we operate, especially when it comes to celebrities. His case might be the tipping point for me. He's smart. He's rich. He has a lovely massive house (maybe more than one). He can hire anyone to do anything hey need. I think it's a safe assumption that he and his family could, if they chose, avoid crowds, which are the biggest danger. I'm not saying everyone has to feel the same way. It's just how I'm starting to feel after living through this in my own way. My sympathies are wearing thin.

I really do wonder where he got it.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was surprised about Murray too. I was not surprised by all of the US players although many of them don't come from average middle class families. We only know what we're allowed to know about anyone in the public eye but not only Murray but all of the US players live fairly comfortably not in studios or tiny apartments.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:51 pm For me, it's getting to the point where I blame some people for catching it. My first thought about Murray wasn't "hope he's okay" but "wtf did you do to catch it?" He has all the means to take every precaution.
I give a little more leeway to people with kids like Murray. They seem to be pushed into situations in this where they might interact with people more than they wish.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I was least surprised by Andy Murray. I'm assuming he is in the UK right now. Highly contagious variant of an already very contagious disease for me meant no surprise there.

In terms of hiring help. Andy may be rich, but all of these players have the same thing in common even if they can hire out most of what they need - they are practicing with a team, many times, going somewhere to practice. They are always going to be around a few people outside of their household, so there's always some risk even if they are being relatively safe. And again, highly contagious variant means what was good to guard against catching covid in the Spring is clearly less effective now with this new variant.

Dayana Yastremska had covid less than a month ago. So outrage and fallout for her and Sveta's mask wearing are likely to be minimal. More likely Sveta gets more anger towards her from creating this media storm about Dayana being on that flight at all. If Sveta doesn't post anything, we legitimately know nothing right now and there's no story about this.
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

Would like to wish my favourite player ever Mary Pierce a happy 46th birthday!
Mary, queen of shots
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Given his injury history, I imagine Murray spends a fair amount of time at the doctor's office, which is where I think a lot of transmission is happening, so he could just as easily have picked it up there. Keeping his other politics in mind, I find it implausible that he thinks he's invincible or that covid is a hoax.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Somehow I don't see Murray as the kind of rich person that hires 20 people to keep house.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:27 pm Somehow I don't see Murray as the kind of rich person that hires 20 people to keep house.
I think Andy is probably not the person making that decision.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

skatingfan wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:27 pm Somehow I don't see Murray as the kind of rich person that hires 20 people to keep house.
I think Andy is probably not the person making that decision.
^ :)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Kim doesn't strike me as an Ivanka either ;)
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 pm Kim doesn't strike me as an Ivanka either ;)
Let's hope that mold has been broken.

And I'm sure Kim has household help.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, of course. Just not 20 people. I have always felt that Andy and his entire family are very grounded. I don't expect Kim to be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen :)
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

No a house full of staff, but certainly using help when they need it. Like I bet they're not mowing their own lawn, for instance. With three little kids, I imagine they would get some help with a household. This is no criticism, by the way. I'd do it.

Agree that Kim is absolutely no Ivanka!