TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Suliso Latvia

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by Suliso »

Is it obvious which last name is "more important" in this particular cultural context? In Spain it would be, but in US or Denmark? I'm not sure...
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:47 pm Is it obvious which last name is "more important" in this particular cultural context? In Spain it would be, but in US or Denmark? I'm not sure...
My daughter and her mother in law went to war when she didn't officially change her name. The compromise was that she'd do exactly what Caro did in naming her daughter and that the future baby will carry her husbands surname. This is a very big deal right now in the US.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

So, do we think she'll return to the tour in a year or two or is she done forever?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:49 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:47 pm Is it obvious which last name is "more important" in this particular cultural context? In Spain it would be, but in US or Denmark? I'm not sure...
My daughter and her mother in law went to war when she didn't officially change her name. The compromise was that she'd do exactly what Caro did in naming her daughter and that the future baby will carry her husbands surname. This is a very big deal right now in the US.
In any case if the daughter ever marries and has kids of her own she'll have to decide which of the two family names to give to them. Otherwise we'd all have 10+ :lol:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:52 pm So, do we think she'll return to the tour in a year or two or is she done forever?
I doubt it. More likely she'll have another child.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:49 pm My daughter and her mother in law went to war when she didn't officially change her name. The compromise was that she'd do exactly what Caro did in naming her daughter and that the future baby will carry her husbands surname. This is a very big deal right now in the US.
The changing of the name is not such a big thing here. Most do, but I also know some who didn't.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:55 pm
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:49 pm
In any case if the daughter ever marries and has kids of her own she'll have to decide which of the two family names to give to them. Otherwise we'd all have 10+ :lol:
How does it work in Spanish speaking countries? For example Rafa's full surname is Nadal-Parera. What will his potential children do? I know the naming protocols vary from country to country.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Perhaps Iceland has the most egalitarian system - there are no surnames at all. Of course they do use father's name to distinguish...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

In South America the sole way the child can have the mother's last name is if there is no father declared in the birth certificate.
A major plus, in so many cases.
It is a big deal here, Ti. The wife taking her husband's last name is also mandatory in many countries.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Wait, don't you operate like in Spain with two last names?
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

A colleague and friend and her husband chose an interesting compromise. They both changed their last names when they got married to a combination of the two names into one name. (ie Sally Smith and John Jones because Sally Smithjones and John Smithjones.) Each of their last names was one syllable, so it was fairly doable. :)

Kevin
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:58 pm In South America the sole way the child can have the mother's last name is if there is no father declared in the birth certificate.
A major plus, in so many cases.
It is a big deal here, Ti. The wife taking her husband's last name is also mandatory in many countries.
How so?...seriously, not joking :)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

For example: If you are a divorced couple, the child cannot travel outside state borders without a notarized permission from the parent that does not have custody.
Many fathers simply abandon the family. So the child of such a family, with no father in sight, cannot travel outside of the country until s/he is 18.
It is difficult to enforce allowances and such, but easy to enforce other bothersome legal issues.
I have a friend that her child's dad simply left the country, never to be seen again. She could not leave the country to travel (the state border thing is harder to enforce, of course). The legal proceedings for her to get full custody of her child took so long, she turned 18 before that.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

We don't know if Wozniacki is Olivia's last name or middle name.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Imagine the mess if Alejandro Davidovich Fokina and Sara Sorribes Tormo would have a child together...

In the Wozniacki/Lee situation, any public discussion or controversy about which family name should come first could have been easily averted if they’d just given the child the first name ‘Rory’.
:o :D
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower