C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by Deuce »

Don't the players have to stay in a bubble during tournaments?
It seems strange to see a player test positive during the last half of a tournament. How many times are they tested during a typical one week tournament? I would think they're tested every 2 or 3 days - but I don't know.
Of course, I suppose she could have contracted the virus sometime in between tournaments...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I don't know how often testing is occurring at any of these tournaments, I think each one has different rules, and few have offered up the kind of detail we got from the US Open last summer. Just as few have offered up details of the bubble environments in a similar way.

What I know for sure is that Florida as a state has no covid restrictions of any kind, and Miami Dade as a county has relatively few even though it's better than some parts of the state with asking something of its residents. So, while players technically had to stay in the bubble, that goes for when they are in the tournament. I'm not sure what happens once they lose, but I think it depends on the player. What I can say with 100% certainty is that not all players went from one bubble to the next. Some left the Miami bubble after they lost, enjoyed Florida and it's non-existent restrictions, and then traveled to Charleston and entered that bubble. Since Miami was a longer tournament, there was definitely time for this for all but maybe the winners, finalists, and semi-finalists. And I know this how I regularly do, players are dumb enough to put their business on social media entirely too often.

Timea says she went from one bubble to the next and has only been around other athletes. She also mentions she was around others masked. And well, I'm not saying they don't kinda wear masks, but if you've seen player's teams in the stands, it doesn't inspire much confidence that they are wearing masks when the camera is not rolling. Few seem to know how to wear one properly.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:01 pm
Timea says she went from one bubble to the next and has only been around other athletes. She also mentions she was around others masked. And well, I'm not saying they don't kinda wear masks, but if you've seen player's teams in the stands, it doesn't inspire much confidence that they are wearing masks when the camera is not rolling. Few seem to know how to wear one properly.
^ Definitely.
The tournaments - and the ATP/WTA - should be doing a better job of enforcing the rules. If you're going to have a rule that everyone must wear a mask, even outdoors if you're close to other people for more than a minute or so (like coaches sitting with physios and/or parents to watch a match, for example), then it's ridiculous to allow them to wear the masks under their chin, under their nose, etc., as so many are doing. It's a complete farce.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

Daniil Medvedev has tested positive for covid. Statement released by ATP related to Monte Carlo so posted in that thread.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That makes how many players, ATP/WTA, coming out of Miami with covid?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:59 pm That makes how many players, ATP/WTA, coming out of Miami with covid?
Miami? Daniil's last match there was March 31st. He's been in France training on clay for at least a week now.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I thought when the "Charleston Approach" was mentioned it was a reference to the tournament making the J&J vaccine available to those who wanted it.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:03 pm I thought when the "Charleston Approach" was mentioned it was a reference to the tournament making the J&J vaccine available to those who wanted it.
Nope, I meant that they'd ignore close contacts and let anyone he's around play if they test negative.

I may be wrong, but I haven't been under the impression most European countries have enough vaccine supply to make them available to non-residents where it wouldn't have much impact on residents getting vaccinated. But given I've heard nothing about Monaco's vaccine availability, this is just a guess.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think only Gibraltar has made available vaccines to healthy under 40 year olds in Europe so far (except medics).

Post by JazzNU »

FYI, this is the first week the ATP relaxed covid rules and allowed players that are local to stay at their homes if they have one. Many players, Medvedev included, have residences in Monte Carlo. This positive test might call into question allowing players outside of a hotel bubble even though they probably won't be able to ascertain where he caught it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Many players? Monte Carlo has like 5 full Davis Cup teams within its borders. ;)
I remember years ago reading that if you were a top player and wanted to train with somebody, you most likely only needed to go up or down two floors in your building and find another ranked pro.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:43 pm FYI, this is the first week the ATP relaxed covid rules and allowed players that are local to stay at their homes if they have one. Many players, Medvedev included, have residences in Monte Carlo. This positive test might call into question allowing players outside of a hotel bubble even though they probably won't be able to ascertain where he caught it.
People also go home or to some training base during non tournament weeks.

Post by JazzNU »

I don't know of any other sport that doesn't go into daily testing, if not multiple times a day testing of all close contacts, when there's a positive covid test. I'm not sure how the tours and tennis tournaments landed on this as a strategy, but it seems rather odd.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

NASCAR doesn't require regular testing.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Fastbackss wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:55 am NASCAR doesn't require regular testing.
There's a joke right there and I can't quite find it... :(