C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
Suliso Latvia

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by Suliso »

The quarantine is now over for some players (Iga just wrote on Twitter she's free) and will be for all by the end of tomorrow.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Paula Badosa was back on court practicing in the last day, so although I don't think tennis is doing any post-covid testing to verify that a person is truly recovered, she's clearly feeling much better and is planning to play the Aussie Open.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Hmm...I haven't been checking, but CNN says: More than 500 Australian Open players and staff go into isolation after a hotel worker tests positive for Covid-19

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/03/world/au ... index.html

As a result, Andrews said 500 to 600 people staying at the hotel have been deemed "close contacts" and will have to isolate until they return a negative test.
He said that the situation should not impact the Australian Open itself, which is set to begin on Monday. Speaking on Thursday, Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley said that out of the 507 people being tested, 160 of them were players.
Tiley said that the testing should be completed by 5 p.m., local time Thursday, saying that the players are "casual contacts" and there was a low probability of any of them testing positive.
The draw for the Australian Open has been postponed by a day to Friday while the testing takes place.
All play at Melbourne Park tennis center set for Thursday has been suspended to allow for the players and staff to be tested. The Tennis Australia boss said the affected warm up matches would be rescheduled, time permitting. "Everything remains as is, just with a day delay, until further notice," Tiley said.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Do we know if there are any quarantine rules for any other countries for events coming up in the next couple months? Based on the announcement from the Biden administration from a couple weeks ago it sounded like a quarantine might be coming, but I haven't heard any follow up, and I'm not clear on the details of any requirements for European countries that host tournaments in the next few weeks.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ESPN L. America is reporting that the GOV of Victoria has detected 5 new cases and the city (Melbourne) will go under lock down.
The proposal will be that there will be no spectators, as people will be again in total shutdown of the city. Crowds may go back to live action in 5 days.
Yet to be confirmed.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:36 am ESPN L. America is reporting that the GOV of Victoria has detected 5 new cases and the city (Melbourne) will go under lock down.
The proposal will be that there will be no spectators, as people will be again in total shutdown of the city. Crowd may go back to live action in 5 days.
Yet to be confirmed.
I wonder if players, coaches and tournament staff are still getting tested regularly.

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:40 am
I wonder if players, coaches and tournament staff are still getting tested regularly.
I don't think they are. By all indications prior to this, the testing stopped when they were allowed to move from the quarantine hotels. I think that's part of why they had to pause play last week and test everyone. And not sure that pause last week prompted a protocol change to that.

Post by JazzNU »

Pretty low ranked player, but on the radar because he played for Team Greece at the ATP Cup. Potential problems in Melbourne after this announcement. He added the update to clarify things, but clearly this remains concerning.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would not want to be Stefanos right now. Pervolarakis was his doubles partner for the ATO cup.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Must be because Florida is doing so incredibly well in managing the virus... :roll: :x
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:54 pm

Starting at $5,150/seat? Now, that's for 22 sessions, but like, what? And that's the general package. Luxury package is going to close the gap on that lost revenue even more. Really appealing to the commoners I see Miami Open.

But I'm happy to see some limits on the seating either way. DeSantis is perfectly fine with letting them fill every single seat, very glad they aren't being that version of reckless to try to make up for last year's lost revenue.

Post by JazzNU »

Not sure if this was posted already. I didn't see it.

Post by JazzNU »

^^ I remain so confused about Novak speaking in this manner. He keeps talking like he's the head of the ATP Player's Council and to my knowledge he resigned that position for his failed association and didn't get his role back. Did I miss something?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You missed TELLING HIM exactly that. ;)
Of course, he can speak his mind. He has some points: the number of injuries is high indeed.
His problem is his short memory. If only he had NOT held a tournament in his home country, at the height of the pandemic, with no bubble...