C19 and Tennis

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: C19 and Tennis

Post by ti-amie »

Apparently Camila Giorgi was very sick with C-19.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:54 am Apparently Camila Giorgi was very sick with C-19.
Hopefully she's okay now and won't have any long time side effects.

There were a few unspecified illness withdraws from Charleston that made me curious. In the case of Camila, she was most definitely enjoying the nightlife of Miami after losing there because, of course, she posted it on social media.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Key points:
There were complaints from tennis players about the two weeks of hard quarantine before this year's Australian Open

Australian Open organisers are understood to be willing to move the tournament to Dubai or Doha if an agreement on softer quarantine is not reached

The Melbourne Grand Prix is also having discussions about quarantine with the federal government

Australian Open could be forced offshore due to coronavirus border closure
By Catherine Murphy
Posted 2hhours ago, updated 8mminutes ago

The Australian Open could be forced offshore due to the federal government's budget prediction international borders will stay closed until mid-2022.

ABC Sport understands Dubai and Doha, which hosted men's and women's qualifying events ahead of this year's tournament in Melbourne, would be among the potential host cities if the year's opening grand slam needed to be relocated.

It is understood players would not be willing to go into hard quarantine in Australia in order to compete, as they did this year.

Players participating in WTA and ATP events around the world are being put in a bubble environment that allows them to train and compete without strict self-isolation.

When they arrive at events in the US and Europe they are required to isolate until they test negative to COVID-19, but are then free to move within the bubble.

The players' resistance to again spending two weeks in an Australian hotel means an offshore event is one of the scenarios being considered by Tennis Australia, if an agreement cannot be reached with the government.

The Australian Formula One Grand Prix also faces an uncertain future as the race, which has been moved from March to November, will need quarantine arrangements to be relaxed in order to proceed.

The Brazilian Grand Prix is scheduled for November 7, which is just two weeks before the Australian Grand Prix is due to be held.

If the Brazilian race goes ahead — an uncertainty due to the current COVID-19 rates in the country — it would be impossible for teams to complete a 14-day hard quarantine period in Melbourne on the current schedule.

Australian Grand Prix chief executive Andrew Westacott said he remains confident the event will find a way to go ahead, and he is working closely with organisers and the Victorian government to put plans in place ahead of time.

"We're working very, very closely in concert with the Victorian government on every aspect of the COVID-safe plan and also the arrangement for the international contingent," Westacott said.

"As you can imagine, it's something very, very complex, it's very, very much a work-in-progress, and we're working with the Victorian government, particularly the Department of Health and CQV, on every one of the details right now."

The Canadian Grand Prix was recently cancelled because Formula One could not come to an agreement for a more flexible quarantine arrangement with the Canadian government.

Grand Prix organisers were planning for a November race in the expectation that all Australians would be vaccinated by then, in accordance with the federal government's plan that all Australians would have their COVID-19 jabs by October.

But there is now no definitive timeline on when the rollout will be completed.

The outcome of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation's negotiations will be watched closely by Tennis Australia as it plans for events in 2022.

ABC Sport understands Australian Open organisers will go ahead with the event overseas, rather than cancel, if an agreement cannot be reached for a more flexible quarantine arrangement.

The tournament contributes more than $300 million to the economy and the money made from hosting the event is a vital source of income for grassroots tennis clubs in Australia.

The majority of tennis players on the tour have already been vaccinated, including Australian world number one Ash Barty.

The 25-year-old revealed she was vaccinated in the US because she could not get answers on a timeline for Australian vaccination before she left the country to compete in Miami in March.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-17/ ... /100142938
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It's their business of course, but for how many years are they planning to live like hermits? This virus will never disappear 100%.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:53 pm It's their business of course, but for how many years are they planning to live like hermits? This virus will never disappear 100%.
Completely. Plus, there are vaccines now. IF the players are vaccinated, AND they take a PCR test (for example), which they can show prior to boarding a plane, these measures are exaggerated.
Heck, tell them to take TWO vaccines, which seem to not have any consequences with each other. Moving the AUSSIE to Dubai would be ridiculous.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:49 pm
Suliso wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:53 pm It's their business of course, but for how many years are they planning to live like hermits? This virus will never disappear 100%.
Completely. Plus, there are vaccines now. IF the players are vaccinated, AND they take a PCR test (for example), which they can show prior to boarding a plane, these measures are exaggerated.
Heck, tell them to take TWO vaccines, which seem to not have any consequences with each other. Moving the AUSSIE to Dubai would be ridiculous.
I thought you were going to say disastrous :)

They've been marketing themselves as the Asia-Pacific Slam for years.
Drop-shot

Post by Drop-shot »

China is relishing the chance to jump on this and abduct the tournament. I doubt they're as skittish about the virus as the aussies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Thing is. If the Chinese get the tournament ONCE, they will keep it. The Aussies opened that door when they called it the Asian-Pacific slam.
meganfernandez United States of America

C19 and Tennis

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:Key points:

The majority of tennis players on the tour have already been vaccinated, including Australian world number one Ash Barty.

The 25-year-old revealed she was vaccinated in the US because she could not get answers on a timeline for Australian vaccination before she left the country to compete in Miami in March.

I’m not outraged by this - vaccinating anyone in the world is fine with me - but it smacks of elitism, and that drives me crazy. Also hypocritical, to bash the US for Covid (maybe not her directly, but Australians) then take our vaccine.

Would Australia ever have vaccinated an American? Hell no. We take so much (expletive) from the rest of the world - and we deserve some of it - but we are also very generous, even if we are clumsy about it at times. This kind of pisses me off about Barty, to be honest. Just rubs me the wrong way, even if it’s perfectly logical.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The USA is the country that gives more aid to more counties around the world by a long shot. You even have aid programs for China, which is kind of insane.
The USA is also the most hated country in the world, even in places where aid is going to. You have considerable food and medicine programs for Africa and L. America, getting no love back from that.
So, you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. The tragedy of being the world's superpower.

(If you are going to get angry with foreigners getting vaccinated in the USA, you will unfriend me by Wednesday. Too bad, I really liked you :cry: :) )

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:The USA is the country that gives more aid to more counties around the world by a long shot. You even have aid programs for China, which is kind of insane.
The USA is also the most hated country in the world, even in places where aid is going to. You have considerable food and medicine programs for Africa and L. America, getting no love back from that.
So, you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. The tragedy of being the world's superpower.

(If you are going to get angry with foreigners getting vaccinated in the USA, you will unfriend me by Wednesday. Too bad, I really liked you :cry: :) )
Haha! I don’t mind, really. Very glad you are getting it! The more people who are vaccinated in the world, the better. It was because it was an Australian. I admire how they locked down and contained the virus. But some of them were pretty judgy about how the US handled it (duh, Trump) and the US Open going ahead. But we have our vaccine act together, it seems like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:47 pm

I’m not outraged by this - vaccinating anyone in the world is fine with me - but it smacks of elitism, and that drives me crazy. Also hypocritical, to bash the US for Covid (maybe not her directly, but Australians) then take our vaccine.

Would Australia ever have vaccinated an American? Hell no. We take so much (expletive) from the rest of the world - and we deserve some of it - but we are also very generous, even if we are clumsy about it at times. This kind of pisses me off about Barty, to be honest. Just rubs me the wrong way, even if it’s perfectly logical.
Of course they would:
COVID-19 vaccines will be free for everyone in Australia, even if you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident. This includes people without a Medicare card, overseas visitors, international students, migrant workers and asylum seekers.
https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-a ... 9-vaccines

Obviously, not a lot of people are able to enter Australia right now, but that's a separate issue.

And the reason the US is vaccinating anyone who wants it regardless of residency at this point is because no one here wants it and the vaccines could go bad.

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:36 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Of course they would:
COVID-19 vaccines will be free for everyone in Australia, even if you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident. This includes people without a Medicare card, overseas visitors, international students, migrant workers and asylum seekers.
https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-a ... 9-vaccines

Obviously, not a lot of people are able to enter Australia right now, but that's a separate issue.

And the reason the US is vaccinating anyone who wants it regardless of residency at this point is because no one here wants it and the vaccines could go bad.
I don't believe that no one (else) here wants it, but sounds like there's enough to go around. Thanks for the note on Australia's vaccine policy. Good to hear. Surprises me.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

https://apple.news/AGpotd2AUQciixxdJHUuK0g

Surprisednot to have seen this posted yet, but Gauff tested positive and will not compete at the Olympics.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I posted it, without links, in the Olympics topic.
I forgot we had this one. :(