Injury and Illness

Our main board to talk about our sport
skatingfan Canada

Re: Injury and Illness

Post by skatingfan »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:57 am This isn't a long term injury. His wrist popped in his match the other day.
Oh. Why has he been so bad for months then?
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

skatingfan wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:06 am
JazzNU wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:57 am This isn't a long term injury. His wrist popped in his match the other day.
Oh. Why has he been so bad for months then?
He has struggled with the bubbles and he's been struggling with motivation after accomplishing the long sought after goal. Up until now, it's been mental, not physical. He's been open about it, you can read about it fairly easily. Unlike another certain case, the coverage has been very understanding and measured.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

True, but he also had some back issues at the Aussie.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I guess this should go here?

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It would be much better if she didn't address the 'haters' (I dislike that term - and it sounds rather juvenile).
Mentioning them just indicates that they have an effect on her - so it would be better to never mention them at all, then they'll go elsewhere to get attention.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

Completely missed that Taylor needed to have surgery after getting wheeled off at RG. That's a remarkable recovery timeline no matter how minor the surgery.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Curious here. Has there been any news about the injuries that have happened? Serena's, Mannarino's and Raducanu? What are the extent of the injuries and, in Raducanu's case, what happened?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Mannarino out 2 months

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:24 pm Curious here. Has there been any news about the injuries that have happened? Serena's, Mannarino's and Raducanu? What are the extent of the injuries and, in Raducanu's case, what happened?
Serena's injury was going to be reassessed once she got home, but initial tests indicated nothing too critical
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:09 pm
^ What a wonderful kid.
I felt so bad for her yesterday. Glad she is recovering.

I hope her statement shuts up the overzealous 'politically correct' people who were so incredibly critical of John McEnroe yesterday (in the typically hypocritical manner of overzealous proponents of 'political correctness' ), and who must deliberately and manipulatively 'misunderstand' things simply in order to blast someone - because otherwise, the criticism McEnroe received yesterday was completely ridiculous, bordering on insane.
McEnroe can be an ass at times - but what he said yesterday about Raducanu was A) empathetic, and B) very accurate (which Raducanu's statement today confirms). McEnroe has been around the pro game for almost half a century. He usually knows what's going on, and why.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I rarely, if ever, defend JMac but in this case I think what he said needed to be said. It may have affected how Raducanu's response was worded.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

To anyone watching that match who knows tennis, and takes into account Raducanu's age and inexperience, and the fact that she's British, it was very obvious what happened. It was clear that the moment overwhelmed her emotionally/psychologically. She was crying. She was hyperventilating...

The people jumping on McEnroe were saying ridiculous things like "How does he know she wasn't injured physically?", calling him a 'sexist', etc. The degree of ridiculousness was truly incredible.
I swear that these 'politically correct' people deliberately 'misunderstand' things - because it's very difficult to believe that anyone can be that ignorant as to honestly believe that McEnroe was attacking Raducanu, when he was in fact defending her, supporting her, and showing her a high degree of compassion.

I've said it before - the 'politically correct' movement, apart from being completely hypocritical, is the greatest threat to healthy and honest human relations within any society it infiltrates. It's an ugly plague.
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by JazzNU »

This is very sweet from Marcus, makes me like him even more. He's a soccer/futbol player on England's national team and has semis of Euro 2020 tomorrow, so this must be getting an insane amount of coverage in England right now.

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

She’s so genuine. I hope she stays that way.
And she’s bright, too - she’s got a good head on her shoulders.
I’m confident that she’ll be fine.

“I don't know what caused it. I think it was a combination of everything that has gone on behind the scenes in the last week and an accumulation of the excitement, the buzz, and I think it's a great learning experience for me going forward. It's a great step forward, and next time hopefully I’ll be better prepared.”

The most fans she had played in front of before Wimbledon was “Maybe about 100 people.”

From her interview with Sue Barker on the BBC today...
R.I.P. Amal...