The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by ponchi101 »

As far as effort is concerned, Rublev is showing he is willing to put it. David would be a good addition, although I don't see him too different from Vicente.
As you say, it can work.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Quentin Moynet
@QuentinMoynet
Dans L'Equipe ce mercredi, entretien avec Caroline Garcia qui annonce sa décision d'arrêter de travailler avec son père et entraîneur, Louis-Paul Garcia.

"J'ai envie d'aller chercher des grands titres. Si je le fais maintenant, ça veut dire que je suis prête à le faire."

Translated from French by Google
In L'Equipe this Wednesday, interview with Caroline Garcia who announces her decision to stop working with her father and trainer, Louis-Paul Garcia.

"I want to go get some big headlines. If I do it now, that means I'm ready to do it."

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Just ten years too late...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:27 am Quentin Moynet
@QuentinMoynet
Dans L'Equipe ce mercredi, entretien avec Caroline Garcia qui annonce sa décision d'arrêter de travailler avec son père et entraîneur, Louis-Paul Garcia.

"J'ai envie d'aller chercher des grands titres. Si je le fais maintenant, ça veut dire que je suis prête à le faire."

Translated from French by Google
In L'Equipe this Wednesday, interview with Caroline Garcia who announces her decision to stop working with her father and trainer, Louis-Paul Garcia.

"I want to go get some big headlines. If I do it now, that means I'm ready to do it."

Actually, the proper translation is:
"I want to go and win some big titles (tournaments). If I'm doing it now, that means I'm ready to do it."

In other words, she's not looking for attention-grabbing headlines - she's looking to win tournaments.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I wonder what Garcia's career would've been if she'd made this move at the same point Kenin is.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Although I am critical of these Dad-daughter relations, it must be very tough to make that split. I believe that the dads simply can't accept it. They cling to the "I have brought you here" mentality, not realizing that the last few steps may need a little extra.
On the other hand: I really am no fan of either player, so I am indifferent to what happens to them.
Last: who else could and should follow this example? Belinda?
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Leylah's dad told me in 2018 that he recognized that he had just about reached his capacity in terms of coaching Leylah. At that time, Leylah was about #4 in Juniors at 15 years old, and they had already brought Francisco Sanchez in as a 'secondary coach' - but Jorge (dad) remained her primary coach.
Jorge has no tennis background to speak of - though he did play soccer at a very high level in South America, and, through that, he was able to guide (and push) Leylah in terms of what it takes to attain a high level.

Jorge likes to say that he 'only knows about 60% of what a good tennis coach knows, but he knows 100% of that 60%'.
In 2019, they brought Dave Rineberg in on a trial basis. Leylah was still referring to Jorge as her primary coach in that time. Rineberg was a coach/hitting partner for Venus and Serena early in their tennis careers, and also coached Jessica Pegula for a time. Though Leylah had a really good summer with Dave, winning the singles and doubles of an ITF event, and making the finals and Semis of a couple of others, Dave didn't continue with them.
It seemed that, while Jorge recognized the need for someone else to take Leylah to the next level, he was, naturally, somewhat reluctant to let go. And, as well, he wanted to ensure that whoever did take over as the primary coach was going to be someone who was good for Leylah in all aspects and elements.

They then tried out Romain Deridder - kind of an unknown in terms of WTA coaching. It's worked out well thus far - so much so that Jorge no longer travels with Leylah. Of course, the fact that COVID-19 has turned the tours upside down likely has something to do with Jorge no longer travelling with Leylah. And so does the fact that he is concentrating more on coaching his other daughter, Leylah's younger sister Bianca.

Here's an interesting article about the father-daughter relationship between Jorge and Leylah, with mentions of other father-daughter tennis combinations...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/tennis ... -1.5901210#

Last edited by Deuce on Sat May 08, 2021 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Much respect for Kenin for doing this. Never thought she would, in a million years. Yet another reminder that we - or at least I - have no idea what's really going on with players and what it's like to manage a career. Maybe he pushed for it for her own good, who knows. It will be interesting to see what happens next but at least we won't have to deal with their coaching and antics.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, she is relieving him of his duties, which does not mean he will not be in her player's box. And if he is sitting there, I don't see him shutting up.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:24 pm Well, she is relieving him of his duties, which does not mean he will not be in her player's box. And if he is sitting there, I don't see him shutting up.
Maybe he won't travel with her as much. Hard to establish a new relationship with a coach with him around.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I agree Bencic needs to cut the cord. Like Garcia she may have waited too long.

Post by meganfernandez »

Don’t like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You recently reached your first Slam final, are climbing steadily up the ranking, and are playing great tennis, and you change your team? Why?

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:56 pm You recently reached your first Slam final, are climbing steadily up the ranking, and are playing great tennis, and you change your team? Why?
Begs an answer, for sure. So surprised. Surely she has someone else lined up.