The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:15 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:08 pm
I did forget Zverev... Yeah I know it's impossible to predict, never know when someone will put it all together, how life circumstances will come along to help or hurt, but FAA still has so much upside IMO. I'm also no expert in development... :)
Certainly. He's fairly among the the 10 best prospects under 23. High chances he'll make it to the top 10 fairly soon, but not guaranteed. Sometimes things go wrong... As an example long time ago I thought Pavlyunchenkova is certain to reach the top 10.
Was Pavs working at Mouratoglou early in her career? Sometimes I think the projections have to do with where people are coming from, what's in their favor potentially. I mean, it would be weird if those inside the sport didn't put stock in those kind of markers of potential success. Prognosticating is not just natural, it's business for some factions of the sport.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Just a few years ago we were all certain that Jerzy Janowicz was destined for greatness. We know where that prediction went.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:17 pm
Was Pavs working at Mouratoglou early in her career? Sometimes I think the projections have to do with where people are coming from, what's in their favor potentially. I mean, it would be weird if those inside the sport didn't put stock in those kind of markers of potential success. Prognosticating is not just natural, it's business for some factions of the sport.
My projection at least stemmed from her dominant junior career (3 GS finals and 2 titles).

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:20 pm were all certain that Jerzy Janowicz was destined for gre
Was that injury-related, though? There are a few big asterisks on potential, like injury and your personal life falling apart.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:27 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:17 pm
My projection at least stemmed from her dominant junior career (3 GS finals and 2 titles).
I figured she had for sure reached the Top 10 for a little bit. She has 12 titles, after all. Nope, career high 21. She's only 29, though! Mid-career! :) Seems like she has been around forever.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Career high #13. Where did you read 21?

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:40 pm Career high #13. Where did you read 21?
I think that was doubles. Was misreading. So almost Top 10. About right.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm Que loco! Working alongside FAA's current coach, not replacing him. And Toni will remain the director of the Nadal's academy.

Felix is quite obviously doing this ^ as a desperate response to jazzyg's prediction that Aslan Karatsev will do better than Felix over the next couple years. ;)

Here's an article about the new help (with an interesting, unrelated, short video at the beginning)...
https://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2021/04 ... dal/93584/

Toni also said that if Felix plays Rafa in a tournament, he won't sit in either player's 'box'.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That is honest from Toni. There is no way he can stop being Rafa's uncle and there is no way that he can stop rooting for him. A bit of a conflict of interest, if not a lot.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

In his first match, Felix should pull his shorts out of his butt before he serves - just for fun...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:56 pm That is honest from Toni. There is no way he can stop being Rafa's uncle and there is no way that he can stop rooting for him. A bit of a conflict of interest, if not a lot.
yeah, best to step aside in those matches. This might be a first - a family member of an active player coaching a different player.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I don't see this as that big of a deal. Rafa has for years been inviting players that have shown promise to come to Mallorca and train with him for several weeks. A very generous offer that isn't all that common to my knowledge by top players over the years. He's seemed legitimately interested in helping those players improve their game so they can reach their full potential. I don't see Rafa getting uptight about any of this and the dynamics especially because of this history he has. And I don't think Rafa allows Felix to train at his Academy as he has been in the off season if there was going to be any issue. I think Uncle Toni not being in the box for the match is what I would expect, but I don't see tension rising out of this situation regardless.

Great addition to Felix's team, but any potential conflict that is being written into the narrative seems unwarranted and just trying to create a story that isn't there at this point.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Many years ago now The Nadal family, before Rafa had the Academy, invited Donald Young to come work with them. I think the USTA told him not to. At least that was what was rumored anyway.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:44 pm Many years ago now The Nadal family, before Rafa had the Academy, invited Donald Young to come work with them. I think the USTA told him not to. At least that was what was rumored anyway.
I remember that happening, but never knew why he didn't go. I just remember it being said during a broadcast and John McEnroe saying "Wow! I hope he went" and then "you can't pass that up" and just agreeing with all of it and hoping his parents wouldn't stand in the way as they seemed to do often in his training. Never heard about the USTA part.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is a pairing I can see working.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein