Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
atlpam United States of America

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by atlpam »

Deuce wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:58 am
Jeff from TX wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:39 am
MJ2004 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 pm I can't differentiate that Onion article from reality.
I agree - I just had a brief interaction with a person on Facebook who had this to say:
What's the point of getting this vaccine when there's already a 95 percent chance of survival, and it won't prevent you from catching Covid or spreading it?
My reply:
Virtually no vaccine can guarantee 100% immunity to the disease they are designed to protect. You mention that there is a 95% chance of of survival. What this fails to also address is that for many people, they survive, but that doesn't mean that they fully recover. If you choose not to get vaccinated, that is your choice, but please do not discuss this as if there are only 2 consequences - death and full recovery. Vaccination has been highly effective at mitigated the worst effects (besides death) from COVID.
His answer:
I will discuss it. The bottom line is that there really hasn't been enough research on the vaccine and here they are telling us we are better off with the vaccine. With all the evidence I've seen we aren't.

I'm can't really provide the research, because he wouldn't probably believe it anyway.
One other result of being vaccinated, of course, is that vaccinated people are less likely to pass the virus on to others. And the effect of the virus on others is, of course, unpredictable, as well.
Therefore, if you don't think you need to protect yourself from the virus by getting vaccinated, at least get vaccinated to protect other people. Who knows - you may even love some of them.
True - We have some vaccinated friends that we get together with, but one of them has recently been through chemo & radiation treatments, so although she's vaccinated, she is likely still immune compromised. She will not get together with anyone who has not been vaccinated. I'm currently in Vermont, so not too concerned about masking when not in a crowded place, but if I was back home in GA, you bet I would still be masking for any indoor activities where I didn't know the status of those around me.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Plenty of articles so I will not link to one.
China has decided to stop the W.H.O. investigation into the origin of the virus. Like any country which acted responsibly about this pandemic would.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

The final paragraph of the article Jazz linked to:

“And the one question that I always ask them is, did you make an appointment with your primary care doctor and ask them for their opinion on whether or not you should receive the vaccine? And so far, nobody has answered yes to that question.”
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:34 pm
I swung by here for the sole purpose of sharing the same link, Jazz. It was linked in this morning's NY Times e-newsletter. Very depressing.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think Macron's approach is catching on.

Self paid
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I have limited sympathy left for those who haven't even started the vaccination process (in EU or US only). If you want to take such a substantial risk go ahead...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes, Clapton and Van Morrison are together in their 'anti-vaccine' stance.
I have a once fairly well known musician friend who has worked with Clapton, and he calls Clapton an idiot for his position on COVID-19 and vaccines. He also calls Morrison 'a sociopath' - which I think is a rather accurate description.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Jeff from TX United States of America

Post by Jeff from TX »

Regarding Clapton:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">How big of an asshole do you have to be for <a href="https://twitter.com/Wolfiesmom?ref_src= ... fiesmom</a> to call you this?<br><br>I mean, she&#39;s pretty much the nicest person in the world. <a href="https://t.co/WyVFAXgH6K">https://t.co/W ... </p>&mdash; Don Winslow (@donwinslow) <a href=" 22, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
It seems like time is going backwards towards 1984 . . . :freaking:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Lately, I come to this and a few other topics, and I really get this urge to lock all topics NOT related to tennis.
It is so despairing.
(And no, I won't. Tog won't let me :cry: )
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:14 am Lately, I come to this and a few other topics, and I really get this urge to lock all topics NOT related to tennis.
It is so despairing.
(And no, I won't. Tog won't let me :cry: )
I mean, you could always strip me of administrator privileges :P I post so infrequently that people might not even realize I'm an administrator anyway.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Serious question here.
Cases are going up, in several countries. But vaccination continues. As more people get vaccinated, they will return, to one degree or another, back to a more "normal" life. Which means that, if 1 MM people are vaccinated but go out more, a 95% vaccine effectiveness will mean 50,000 people getting the virus.
Yet mortality is not increasing at the same rate.
My question is: the vaccine was never meant to stop the virus completely. it is not 100% effective. But, what the vaccine also does, is that it diminishes the effects of the virus. If I am fully vaccinated and still catch the virus, but it turns it into a weekend flu, it has worked. I am alive and spent nothing more than a few days with the equivalent of a bad cold.
So the reporting of increased cases, but not reporting the new split of cases that end in fatalities, seems to be insufficient, from the point of view of the statistical analysis.