Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by ponchi101 »

6 cases of blood clots appear to be related to the J&J vaccine, so the "abundance of caution" clause kicks into effect. The FDA is pausing the use of the vaccine. I wonder how many million doses of the vaccine have already been applied.
Down here, we are hearing that the government is administering the Pfizer/BionTech to people in the health areas but for the rest of the population they are applying the Chinese vaccine (Sinovac). Which pretty much seals the deal that I will travel to the USA to get my shots.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Chinese officials recently admitted that their vaccines are barely 50% effective.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:02 am
Wouldn't wind be a factor, though? And a larger area for disbursement/dilution?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:49 pm Chinese officials recently admitted that their vaccines are barely 50% effective.
We saw that which is one more reason why we are not taking it. The health provider I am registered with explains that they are handing out 4 types: Pf-BT, AZ, Jansen or Sinovac, but you do not get to chose which vaccine you will get. I sincerely will not accept the Sinovac if I get there and that is what they are about to give me, so that makes it at a minimum a 25% chance of getting that one. At 50% effectiveness I think it may have a little beneficial impact as a public health tool, but at the individual level it makes no sense. Therefore, Georgia here I come.
The situation is a bit more interesting. There are several stories doing the rounds that the US Govt is voiding your visa if you travel their to get vaccinated. Of course, my GF has several friends that have had their shots there and ICE and the FBI have not arrested them, so it seems it is simply a bit of South American paranoia.
Meanwhile, in Venezuela, where there are NO vaccines, a small black-market is developing. Some people are peddling vaccines at $500/shot. Of course, there is no guarantee that you are getting an actual vaccine or they are just injecting you a vial of distilled water.
Sometimes being a Venezuelan is truly a shameful thing.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Yes, exactly. Wind quickly blows the aerosol away and dilutes it below infectious level. Hence outdoors infections unlikely except in particular crowded situations (dense outdoor market, choir singing, crowds at a football match etc).
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:49 pm Chinese officials recently admitted that their vaccines are barely 50% effective.
What?!? Is this tied to the vaccines being administered in the UAE? I know they found little immune response in some and suggested those patients comes in for a third dosage. But I only heard about it in UAE though. Do you know if it's the 2nd or 3rd doses that are registering the 50% efficacy?

Also, not sure how many vaccines China has, but last I read, China was set to supply Japan with vaccines for Olympic athletes.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:25 pm
What?!? Is this tied to the vaccines being administered in the UAE? I know they found little immune response in some and suggested those patients comes in for a third dosage. But I only heard about it in UAE though. Do you know if it's the 2nd or 3rd doses that are registering the 50% efficacy?

Also, not sure how many vaccines China has, but last I read, China was set to supply Japan with vaccines for Olympic athletes.
All I have is this: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/11/worl ... ccine.html

Not clear which specific Chinese vaccine (I think there are five) this is about or maybe all. In Brazil it has been measured as barely over 50%.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I don't think we can trust either Chinese or Russian vaccines fully. Their data have not been review by trustworthy medical authorities not under their government control.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

These Tweets are easy to understand for me, a layperson.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Here's the presser via YouTube

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:37 pm 6 cases of blood clots appear to be related to the J&J vaccine, so the "abundance of caution" clause kicks into effect. The FDA is pausing the use of the vaccine. I wonder how many million doses of the vaccine have already been applied.
Down here, we are hearing that the government is administering the Pfizer/BionTech to people in the health areas but for the rest of the population they are applying the Chinese vaccine (Sinovac). Which pretty much seals the deal that I will travel to the USA to get my shots.
More than 6.8 million doses of J&J given in US as of Monday (per FDA)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

6 cases of blood clots in a population of 6+ million.
Here's. My. Arm.
This is extremely poor risk management, and very simple math to understand. If the vaccine gives you a 1/1,000,000 chance of blood clots, that is still extremely better than NOT getting a vaccine and getting the virus.
I really don't understand why this so hard to understand.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:29 pm Yes, exactly. Wind quickly blows the aerosol away and dilutes it below infectious level. Hence outdoors infections unlikely except in particular crowded situations (dense outdoor market, choir singing, crowds at a football match etc).
And yet, I can no longer play OUTDOOR SINGLES tennis here without wearing a mask!
I’m all in favour of being careful - and I’ve been very, very careful with the virus... but this is completely insane.
Also, doubles (masked) is only allowed with people from the same household... but doubles lessons (masked) are allowed with people from different households!

And you can sit outside with 7 other people (from different houses) with no masks, as long as you’re 2 metres apart... but you have to wear a mask playing singles tennis when you’re 30 metres apart.
It makes no sense at all. Absolutely None.

Rational thinking has gone out the window as politicians manipulate and manoeuvre, trying desperately to show people "Look - we're trying to protect you - aren't we wonderful?! Vote for us!".

Sigh...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Bogota's major ordered all tennis and golf clubs to be closed for the weekend, because of the risk.
Soccer fields? No problems.
It can be that they are not trying to get votes. They may actually be that dumb.