National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
dryrunguy

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by dryrunguy »

It's funny, suliso. Ever since I saw your question about living in New Orleans, I've been thinking about all of the memories I have of the city. I have been there twice. Both trips revolved around New Year's Eve.

The first time I was single, and parts of that visit are a blur. (New Orleans is a FUN place to be when you are a young single man.) But I loved the French Quarter, the packed streets at night, the packed bars, the food, the music, drunk people passed out on the sidewalk, people and cops getting their pictures taken over drunk people passed out on the sidewalk, the culture, meeting the High Priestess of the Southeastern Voodoo Association and buying a voodoo doll at her shop (a housewarming voodoo doll because I had just moved into a new apartment in D.C.--she refused to sell me the one I really liked because she said I had a vengeful spirit), the beads, etc.

The second time I visited, I was attached. It was an entirely different experience that focused on the food, the music, the vibe of the place, the shopping, the architecture, etc. But still a lot of fun.

Looking back on it now, given the current circumstances, much of this feels highly unattractive.

::

But as you point out, there's also the side of New Orleans stricken with rampant poverty, desperation, crime, and the harsh reality that you literally have nowhere else to go because you have neither the means nor the opportunity. These were the folks who were disproportionally affected by Katrina--and now Ida, almost certainly. These were the folks who lost everything. And many of them were among the bodies we saw floating down the streets as we watched in horror in the days after Katrina.
Last edited by dryrunguy on Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Thanks for all the different perspectives about New Orleans. It's curious that most visits have been in winter. I've spent two summers in Philly and they were ugly enough weather wise, I'd not be looking forward to July in Louisiana.

I think the only person from the state I've ever met is a Nokia engineer originally from Baton Rouge. We met hiking in Georgia. Clearly from a rich family.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I meant Georgia, the country by the way ;)
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Music and food for sure. But I'm a little surprised no one specifically mentioned the people in New Orleans (and Baton Rouge to a certain extent). The people are wonderful. They have sort of a rare mix of the inclusiveness more common in the Northeast paired with Southern charm and hospitality. They are great and a definite reason many love it there. The Creole/Cajun history and culture has a lot to do with this.

I have several friends from Louisiana, most from New Orleans, and they all went back after leaving for college because they love it there so much, they had other options, they just love it there, and they especially love the spirit of the people there.

I visited in the summer, Philly is child's play in comparison when it comes to heat, but especially humidity, which is straight up stifling in ways I can't properly articulate in NO in the summer. Much worse than Houston, and worse than even Orlando. And you don't see the poverty unless you go to it, if that makes sense. It's not hitting you in the face in many portions of the city.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

People in N.O.
A friend went there (mid 1990's) on business, with some colleagues. One of them losses his phone. Next day, they assume that most likely he lost it in the taxi. What to do? It takes them a while to figure out that if they call the phone, the driver might pick it up. Which he does and explains he had indeed waiting for the call because, after all, he could not tell which rider had dropped it.
So the man walks into the hotel lobby, laughing out loud and in a full voice, yells at them "you guys must be the dumbest M.F. on Earth! You sure are dumb! It took you one full day to figure out to call YOUR OWN PHONE!"
The man was full smiles and did not accept any money or even the taxi fare because he was actually dropping somebody at the same hotel.
I have plenty of more stories in N.O. that are just as nice.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I see there are pluses in living there I hadn't considered. :)
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

On the opposite side of the people of New Orleans (and I've met many wonderful people there and overall like the vibe and culture)... the last time I was there, we were doing a Diversity and Inclusion training for a client... the stories of specific as well as systemic discrimination I heard - particularly about the wealthy neighborhoods/suburbs - were really atrocious. Besides the weather, that detail made me never want to spend any serious time in NOLA.

Also, one of our Uber drivers was very, very high. :D :D

Do love the food, music, and overall spirit.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

So, the worst of what's left of Ida, which is a lot, is just about behind those of us here in south central Pennsylvania. It's still raining pretty heavy here, but it should finish around 8 p.m., EST.

I've heard at least two large trees fall in the woods behind my house. That's not because of wind--there isn't much. It's because of the soft ground and the fact that mountains are inherently NOT level. I have one small leak in my roof--not a big deal yet. I keep checking my basement. I haven't forgotten what the leftovers of Katrina did to my basement 16 years ago. My pond can take about 1 more foot of water before it will start to overflow at the south end. That happened once before and flooded by neighbors' barn (which is downhill from the south end of the pond). The two drains can't keep up with the combination of rain and water coming down from the mountain. Either that or one or both of the drains are clogged with debris.

But if this is as bad as this storm gets, I'll take it. Fingers crossed.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Keep us posted. I hope it will not reach any dangerous level.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:57 pm So, the worst of what's left of Ida, which is a lot, is just about behind those of us here in south central Pennsylvania. It's still raining pretty heavy here, but it should finish around 8 p.m., EST.

I've heard at least two large trees fall in the woods behind my house. That's not because of wind--there isn't much. It's because of the soft ground and the fact that mountains are inherently NOT level. I have one small leak in my roof--not a big deal yet. I keep checking my basement. I haven't forgotten what the leftovers of Katrina did to my basement 16 years ago. My pond can take about 1 more foot of water before it will start to overflow at the south end. That happened once before and flooded by neighbors' barn (which is downhill from the south end of the pond). The two drains can't keep up with the combination of rain and water coming down from the mountain. Either that or one or both of the drains are clogged with debris.

But if this is as bad as this storm gets, I'll take it. Fingers crossed.
Be safe.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Just...wow

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Oh FFS...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »