Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

A QAnoner Posted One County’s Election Passwords. The County Clerk Allegedly Helped.

By Matt Shuham
|
August 13, 2021 2:44 p.m.

Colorado’s secretary of state on Thursday accused a Republican county official of allowing an unauthorized person to access the county’s voting machines — leading to a leak of sensitive information into the right-wing fever swamps.

After that alleged incident, video and photos of the county’s voting machines — and county-specific passwords — were posted online by an infamous QAnon promoter, Secretary of State Jenna Griswold (D) said at a press conference.

The district attorney’s office is investigating. The county will have to replace the voting machines.

And the Republican clerk, Tina Peters, isn’t backing down.

Speaking at MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell’s “Cyber Symposium” in South Dakota on Thursday — the event promised and then failed to deliver evidence of Chinese election hacking — Peters was unapologetic, and went on the attack against Griswold.

“She has come into my office several times already in the last two years since I’ve been the elected official because I am a Republican, I’m a conservative and she’s not, and she weaponizes her position to attack people that disagree with her,” Peters said, referring to Griswold.

“When I was on a plane to come see you kind folks, and to talk to you out there, guess what they did? They provided a search warrant and raided my office,” she added. “I don’t know what they did, but I can tell you I don’t trust them.”

The district attorney in Mesa County, Dan Rubinstein, confirmed to Colorado Public Radio that he’d assigned someone to investigate the alleged security breach, but offered no further detail.

“I can confirm that we have not entered into this investigation with any person or criminal act in mind and will reserve judgment on that until the investigation is complete,” Rubinstein said in an email to the outlet. “I also am unable to speculate on the length of time the investigation will take as we are too early in the investigation to have a good sense of the scope of it.”

At Griswold’s press conference Thursday, Matt Crane, a former Republican county clerk now serving as the executive director of the Colorado County Clerks Association, expressed outrage at the situation.

“It was a solo, intentional and selfish act that jeopardized the conduct of, and integrity of, the elections in Mesa County, and affects the confidence of voters throughout the state and the country,” he said.

“To be very clear, Mesa County Clerk and Recorder allowed a security breach and, by all evidence at this point, assisted it,” Griswold said Thursday.

The trouble for Peters started last week, when a key figure in the QAnon movement, Ron Watkins, claimed to have heard from a “whistleblower” about Dominion voting machines.

Watkins is the former administrator of the messageboard 8chan and a major figure in the QAnon conspiracy theory world, thought by some to have authored at least some of the “Q” posts himself.

On his Telegram channel “CodeMonkeyZ,” Watkins claimed that his “whistleblower” was from a state other than Arizona that uses Dominion machines. Watkins then posted a document showing how to change the administrative password of the Dominion system.

What’s more, Watkins wrote, “The whistleblower reached out with footage filmed of the Dominion Election Management System inside an election center in one of the states that used Dominion software and hardware (not Arizona).” The far-right website Gateway Pundit posted Watkins’ claims in an article.

On Monday this week, Griswold announced in a press release that “Several items were published online that constituted a breach in the security protocols for Mesa County voting system components,” and specified that the items included “passwords specific to the individual hardware stations of Mesa County’s voting system.”

That same day, The Bulwark noted that Watkins had screwed up: the video he’d posted had included a unique password, one that had allowed the secretary of state’s office to identify the county in which the leak had occurred: “It turns out the election hacker was not Antifa or a Hugo Chavez apparition but a real live human in the office of Mesa County Clerk and Recorder Tina Peters,” the outlet reported.

The breach didn’t constitute an imminent threat to Colorado’s elections, Griswold said, but she wanted to inspect the county’s equipment. Peters didn’t respond to that request. Griswold’s team showed up on Tuesday and began their inspection.

And on Thursday, she laid out what they’d found.

According to Griswold, investigators in her office found that someone had been given improper access to the county’s machines during a routine maintenance appointment — known as a “trusted build” — back in May. She pegged responsibility on the clerk’s office.

“On May 25, at the trusted build, Mesa County Clerk and Recorder authorized a non-employee into the trusted build after misleading my office on the person’s employment status,” Griswold said.

At that time, she said, video and photos were taken, including of the county-specific passwords, and then posted online “by a known conspiracy theorist.” Griswold later confirmed that she was referring to Watkins’ “CodeMonkeyZ” channel. Watkins appeared at Lindell’s symposium Wednesday to discuss purported material from Mesa County.

Perhaps more troubling in Griswold’s press conference was the news that video surveillance of the county’s voting machines had been turned off the week prior.

“It appears, a week before the trusted build, that Mesa County Clerk and Recorder’s office directed Mesa County staff to turn off the video surveillance of their voting equipment,” Griswold said.

The video surveillance was not turned back on “until recently,” she said. As a result, the chain of custody for the county’s voting equipment could not be confirmed and the machines need to be replaced.

Peters’ office has not responded to TPM’s request for comment on the allegations.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/a-qa ... dly-helped
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:11 pm I don't know, ponchi. How much evidence do you need? There were multiple accusers, including a state trooper. State troopers tend to come with a presumed level of credibility due to their profession alone. (Whether they should or not is a different thread.) There was a huge Attorney General's Report that documented the allegations and provided what corroboration it could (e.g., the events could have plausibly occurred when and where an accuser said they did). Cuomo spent part of his time denying allegations and part of his time saying, "This is who I am. I'm just a touchy feely kind of guy."

As for this only happening to Democrats, I don't think that's true. We just notice it more when it happens to Democrats because Democrats are supposed to be better, particularly on this issue. Lots of Republicans get nailed for sexual misconduct. It happens all the time. We just don't bat an eye at it because it doesn't shock us.
In reverse.
I should have explained better, What happens ONLY to democrats is that they get fired or removed from their jobs. Republicans remain at their positions, regardless of evidence.
The part in which we are in disagreement is not that Cuomo did or did not do these things. It seems very clear that he did. Our disagreement is whether this resignations are fit to the offense. I still say that, for example, the Democrats lost more by having Franken removed as a senator than keeping him.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

What is the basis in saying that Hochul will be bad for the state in general or NYC in particular?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:17 pm What is the basis in saying that Hochul will be bad for the state in general or NYC in particular?
Upstate New York is more rural than NYC and its environs. There are cites - Buffalo, Binghamton, Rochester, and yes Albany - but there is also a huge open pit mine I saw for the first time when we took the train to Niagara Falls. It's also poorer and unemployment is a problem. They feel NYC drains resources that could go to them. Upstate Dems are a bit more conservative than their compatriots from southern NYS. It's why Cuomo has been seen by NYC residents as more of an obstacle to our needs - better transit and infrastructure improvements for example - than he was by upstaters. And yet he is still seen as a downstater, which he actually is, being from Queens.

I think that the legislators deciding not to pursue impeachment is part of this dynamic. An impeached Cuomo can't run again. Unimpeached he can. Hochul's initial remarks seem promising but talk is cheap. We'll see.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:50 pm A QAnoner Posted One County’s Election Passwords. The County Clerk Allegedly Helped.

By Matt Shuham
|
August 13, 2021 2:44 p.m.

Colorado’s secretary of state on Thursday accused a Republican county official of allowing an unauthorized person to access the county’s voting machines — leading to a leak of sensitive information into the right-wing fever swamps.

After that alleged incident, video and photos of the county’s voting machines — and county-specific passwords — were posted online by an infamous QAnon promoter, Secretary of State Jenna Griswold (D) said at a press conference.

The district attorney’s office is investigating. The county will have to replace the voting machines.

And the Republican clerk, Tina Peters, isn’t backing down.

Speaking at MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell’s “Cyber Symposium” in South Dakota on Thursday — the event promised and then failed to deliver evidence of Chinese election hacking — Peters was unapologetic, and went on the attack against Griswold.

“She has come into my office several times already in the last two years since I’ve been the elected official because I am a Republican, I’m a conservative and she’s not, and she weaponizes her position to attack people that disagree with her,” Peters said, referring to Griswold.

“When I was on a plane to come see you kind folks, and to talk to you out there, guess what they did? They provided a search warrant and raided my office,” she added. “I don’t know what they did, but I can tell you I don’t trust them.”

The district attorney in Mesa County, Dan Rubinstein, confirmed to Colorado Public Radio that he’d assigned someone to investigate the alleged security breach, but offered no further detail.

“I can confirm that we have not entered into this investigation with any person or criminal act in mind and will reserve judgment on that until the investigation is complete,” Rubinstein said in an email to the outlet. “I also am unable to speculate on the length of time the investigation will take as we are too early in the investigation to have a good sense of the scope of it.”

At Griswold’s press conference Thursday, Matt Crane, a former Republican county clerk now serving as the executive director of the Colorado County Clerks Association, expressed outrage at the situation.

“It was a solo, intentional and selfish act that jeopardized the conduct of, and integrity of, the elections in Mesa County, and affects the confidence of voters throughout the state and the country,” he said.

“To be very clear, Mesa County Clerk and Recorder allowed a security breach and, by all evidence at this point, assisted it,” Griswold said Thursday.

The trouble for Peters started last week, when a key figure in the QAnon movement, Ron Watkins, claimed to have heard from a “whistleblower” about Dominion voting machines.

Watkins is the former administrator of the messageboard 8chan and a major figure in the QAnon conspiracy theory world, thought by some to have authored at least some of the “Q” posts himself.

On his Telegram channel “CodeMonkeyZ,” Watkins claimed that his “whistleblower” was from a state other than Arizona that uses Dominion machines. Watkins then posted a document showing how to change the administrative password of the Dominion system.

What’s more, Watkins wrote, “The whistleblower reached out with footage filmed of the Dominion Election Management System inside an election center in one of the states that used Dominion software and hardware (not Arizona).” The far-right website Gateway Pundit posted Watkins’ claims in an article.

On Monday this week, Griswold announced in a press release that “Several items were published online that constituted a breach in the security protocols for Mesa County voting system components,” and specified that the items included “passwords specific to the individual hardware stations of Mesa County’s voting system.”

That same day, The Bulwark noted that Watkins had screwed up: the video he’d posted had included a unique password, one that had allowed the secretary of state’s office to identify the county in which the leak had occurred: “It turns out the election hacker was not Antifa or a Hugo Chavez apparition but a real live human in the office of Mesa County Clerk and Recorder Tina Peters,” the outlet reported.

The breach didn’t constitute an imminent threat to Colorado’s elections, Griswold said, but she wanted to inspect the county’s equipment. Peters didn’t respond to that request. Griswold’s team showed up on Tuesday and began their inspection.

And on Thursday, she laid out what they’d found.

According to Griswold, investigators in her office found that someone had been given improper access to the county’s machines during a routine maintenance appointment — known as a “trusted build” — back in May. She pegged responsibility on the clerk’s office.

“On May 25, at the trusted build, Mesa County Clerk and Recorder authorized a non-employee into the trusted build after misleading my office on the person’s employment status,” Griswold said.

At that time, she said, video and photos were taken, including of the county-specific passwords, and then posted online “by a known conspiracy theorist.” Griswold later confirmed that she was referring to Watkins’ “CodeMonkeyZ” channel. Watkins appeared at Lindell’s symposium Wednesday to discuss purported material from Mesa County.

Perhaps more troubling in Griswold’s press conference was the news that video surveillance of the county’s voting machines had been turned off the week prior.

“It appears, a week before the trusted build, that Mesa County Clerk and Recorder’s office directed Mesa County staff to turn off the video surveillance of their voting equipment,” Griswold said.

The video surveillance was not turned back on “until recently,” she said. As a result, the chain of custody for the county’s voting equipment could not be confirmed and the machines need to be replaced.

Peters’ office has not responded to TPM’s request for comment on the allegations.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/a-qa ... dly-helped
QAnon people in that Congressional district? Who would have thought?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Got it Tog.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

They're not all below the Mason Dixon line or west of the Mississippi

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think she's sick of the MSM doing "both sides journalism". The fact is it's raining or it's not.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

If only it was so clear cut in most cases...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

How about MSM putting labels like: "These claims are not substantiated" or "The FDA has not validated these claims"? Would it be so hard to say "these claims are false"?
And she is saying Journalism 101. I gather further courses take into consideration the cases you would talk about.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

And looked damn good in it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The man has swagger. In Venezuelan, we have a word for which I really have no translation: "Tumbao". A combination of swagger, cool, presence.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »