Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
dryrunguy

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by dryrunguy »

The Puerto Rico statehood debate is a completely different ball of yarn. I'm not convinced that is a good idea. But I am moveable. I see positives for sure, but the negatives, as I see it, are fairly compelling.
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

This is the part of the Constitution that Dave is referencing. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17:
Congress shall have Power...To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Building.
The Democrats argue that nothing in there says that the District has to include all of what it does currently. It's even true that its boundaries have changed four (depending on your definition) times since its creation. The bigger deal is that the new Federal District that they propose would have no residents. I can't see how the Constitution prohibits that, but 1) I'm not a lawyer and 2) I wouldn't put it past the Supreme Court to rule otherwise.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Togtdyalttai wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:44 am
mmmm8 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:17 pm
MJ2004 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:05 pm Why not Puerto Rico, too?
Because Puerto Ricans aren't sure they want this whereas DC have been trying to get representation for such a long time.
Puerto Rico voted for statehood this past November: https://ballotpedia.org/Puerto_Rico_Sta ... dum_(2020). Granted, the margin wasn't great and the turnout was below 50%, but they did vote for it.

Yeah, there was a lot behind that vote. Many leading activists and politicians called it useless and suggested the governor called it to drive turnout for her party and switch the conversation from all the post-Maria/corruption. There were also accusations of fraud.

The previous 2017 referendum was even less engaging, had something like a 22% turnout
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:06 am The Puerto Rico statehood debate is a completely different ball of yarn. I'm not convinced that is a good idea. But I am moveable. I see positives for sure, but the negatives, as I see it, are fairly compelling.
It seems this is also the position of many Puerto Ricans, both on statehood and independence. Which is why nothing's happening.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Based on a few posts in here, it seems to me not everyone here knows the history of DC's fight to govern themselves and trying to get statehood and would do well to read up on the subject.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I really hate when they pimp their own sites but this is an interesting tidbit.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Meanwhile:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

And meanwhile:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

This is a really good article about the advantages Republicans have in the American political system. I could copy the text here, but I'm not going to because it is tennis-themed, and you'd miss out on all the lovely tennis graphics.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/advantage-gop/
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A great way of putting down in numbers something we (this forum) already knew.
Sorry, no way that is the greatest democracy in the world. And excuse my offense.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:12 pm A great way of putting down in numbers something we (this forum) already knew.
Sorry, no way that is the greatest democracy in the world. And excuse my offense.
Which country do you think is now?