Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Hey once Trump is out of office his right to pardon people goes away, right? And sorry if this is a stupid question, but can he pardon people who are charged but haven't gone to trial yet?

Thanks.

Kevin

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

There's a lot of talk about this guy by folks in political Twitter and I have no idea why.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

shtexas United States of America

Post by shtexas »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:03 pm There's a lot of talk about this guy by folks in political Twitter and I have no idea why.

Cawthorn took Mark Meadows place. He is paraplegic after a car accident. He was accused of sexual harassment. Students at the college he attended for one year wrote a letter saying he was known for that behavior. I am sorry about his accident, but he sounds like a real gem.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

dmforever wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:56 pm Hey once Trump is out of office his right to pardon people goes away, right? And sorry if this is a stupid question, but can he pardon people who are charged but haven't gone to trial yet?

Thanks.

Kevin
He completes his transformation into a pumpkin on Jan 20, 2021 at noon, with no power to grant anything to anyone.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

skatingfan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:43 am
dmforever wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:56 pm Hey once Trump is out of office his right to pardon people goes away, right? And sorry if this is a stupid question, but can he pardon people who are charged but haven't gone to trial yet?

Thanks.

Kevin
He completes his transformation into a pumpkin on Jan 20, 2021 at noon, with no power to grant anything to anyone.
Thanks. But before he leaves office could he pardon people who have been arrested but not tried in connection to the terrorist attack at the Capitol? In other words, could he preemptively pardon people?

Kevin
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Yes, he definitely can. However, I have a feeling he won't. Those are "little people" and Donald doesn't give a crap about those.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am with Kevin. My understanding is that when you pardon somebody, they have already been sentenced. In this case, these people have not even gone to trial, and there is no verdict yet. Although I agree with Suliso, too. Tiny could not care less for the people that are facing these charges. They are indeed little people, precisely the kind that he despises and the kind that do not realize he despises them.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I don't get this continuing idea of giving out government checks in US to everyone. It's such a gross mismanagement of resources. Most people are still employed full time and don't need extra help right now. It would make a lot more sense to direct all that money to people who actually have lost their jobs and/or had their businesses shuttered because of pandemic restrictions. That's how we approach it here...
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:31 pm I am with Kevin. My understanding is that when you pardon somebody, they have already been sentenced. In this case, these people have not even gone to trial, and there is no verdict yet. Although I agree with Suliso, too. Tiny could not care less for the people that are facing these charges. They are indeed little people, precisely the kind that he despises and the kind that do not realize he despises them.
It's not true. Nixon got a blanket pardon for any federal crimes he might have committed without ever being charged with anything. The only restrictions to US presidential pardons are that they can't get you out of impeachment, don't apply to State crimes and most likely (albeit not tested in the court) you can't pardon yourself. Other than that it's a blank check, full get out of a jail card.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

The extent of pardon power has never been tested by the courts, and so what would happen if the US President pardoned people who were involved in a matter for which he is being impeached is unknown. However, people who have been pardoned could then be compelled to testify in a court case against President Trump once he leaves office because they would have no 5th amendment protections. If Trump plans to pardon the people being arrested right now it will probably happen in the final hours of his administration on Wednesday morning, and if a staffer puts the paperwork together & puts it in front of the President it's anyone's guess as to whether he would sign it.
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:44 pm I don't get this continuing idea of giving out government checks in US to everyone. It's such a gross mismanagement of resources. Most people are still employed full time and don't need extra help right now. It would make a lot more sense to direct all that money to people who actually have lost their jobs and/or had their businesses shuttered because of pandemic restrictions. That's how we approach it here...
I agree entirely, and that's Joe Manchin's position as well. He's going to be extremely influential once Biden's president, so maybe there's a chance that's what happens.
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

Another restriction on pardons is that they cannot be for a crime which hasn't been committed yet. Ordinarily that wouldn't be an issue, but with Trump you never know.