Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by Suliso »

For all the pyromaniacs among us.

meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

dryrunguy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:49 pm Does anyone else remember this classic scene/blooper (pretty sure it never aired, but I could be wrong) from The Carol Burnett Show? I discovered it on YouTube a few days back, and I keep going back to it.

So much talent on one sofa (left to right)--Tim Conway, Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence, and Dick Van Dyke (who never said a word in the entire sketch but still added to the humor since he couldn't hold himself together).

Some time back, I saw an interview with Vicki about this scene. Apparently, Carol had been warned before filming that Tim Conway was going to go off-script. Carol implored Vicki to keep it professional and not lose character. (At the time, Vicki was the "junior" member of the cast and had significantly less experience.) Except for Dick Van Dyke, it turned out to be Carol herself who struggled the most to keep it together. Vicki was 100% professional. And then near the end, she delivered the killer line that backfired on Conway.

Good stuff.

What does Vicki say at the end? I can't hear it... something about that little asshole.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:27 am For all the pyromaniacs among us.

DO NO TRY THIS AT HOME? Heck, in most places on earth, trying this in ANY COUNTY gets a a SWAT team there in minutes.
That was fun :thumbsup:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:33 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:49 pm Does anyone else remember this classic scene/blooper (pretty sure it never aired, but I could be wrong) from The Carol Burnett Show? I discovered it on YouTube a few days back, and I keep going back to it.

So much talent on one sofa (left to right)--Tim Conway, Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence, and Dick Van Dyke (who never said a word in the entire sketch but still added to the humor since he couldn't hold himself together).

Some time back, I saw an interview with Vicki about this scene. Apparently, Carol had been warned before filming that Tim Conway was going to go off-script. Carol implored Vicki to keep it professional and not lose character. (At the time, Vicki was the "junior" member of the cast and had significantly less experience.) Except for Dick Van Dyke, it turned out to be Carol herself who struggled the most to keep it together. Vicki was 100% professional. And then near the end, she delivered the killer line that backfired on Conway.

Good stuff.

What does Vicki say at the end? I can't hear it... something about that little asshole.
"Sure that little asshole's done?" :)
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:26 pm DO NO TRY THIS AT HOME? Heck, in most places on earth, trying this in ANY COUNTY gets a a SWAT team there in minutes.
That was fun :thumbsup:

I'm amazed YouTube allows this to stay up. When these kinds of things are in say a movie or TV show, we typically never see that episode again or the original cut of the movie because people did try it at home and they are potentially liable for encouraging it and giving ideas on how to do it.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:01 pm I'm amazed YouTube allows this to stay up. When these kinds of things are in say a movie or TV show, we typically never see that episode again or the original cut of the movie because people did try it at home and they are potentially liable for encouraging it and giving ideas on how to do it.
This is a very popular channel and the video I posted is among the most tame ones. There is one with 10,000 (!!!) firecrackers.

There are a lot of videos on youtube with all kinds of silly experiments, but also scientific ones which should not be attempted outside specialized areas.

Post by JazzNU »

This is a Twitter thread full of Ever Given memes for anyone interested.

https://twitter.com/MarineTraffic/statu ... 8634501122
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Remember our discussion about large families? The big red flag here is the situation around the joint banking account.

WIBTA if I started charging my husband "admin fees"?
Not the A-hole

Hello all, I'm really awful at explaining things. So I'm happy to answer questions if you have any.
I'm a stay at home wife, and mother of four, my husband is the breadwinner. This means I take on almost all of the housework, child raising, and I try to do as much as I can so he can come home and relax as much as possible. One of the things I'm in charge of is all his admin. Whether it be updating his resume, booking him into courses/flights/appointments, arranging accommodation, sending off his application to jobs (he tells me which ones) and all the relevant paperwork that goes with it. If anyone ever gets an email from him, it's me. Usually I don't mind this. I worked as a receptionist before we were married, and it's never really anything over complicated that needs doing. Although sometimes it's difficult to do the tasks as quickly as he wants them done, because I have to wrangle a gaggle of children. Well, today he rang me in a huff thinking I'd possibly jeopardised his upcoming new job by not sending in the correct paperwork. Even after I explained 3 times that I HAD done it all, and that it had been received by the recruiter, he continued being short and snippy. Now I'm thinking, since he expects me to always drop whatever I'm doing and immediately see to his paperwork whenever it comes in, I should start charging him a small fee. I thought a maximum of $50 a week for these "emergency admin tasks" (never ever an emergency, just him being pushy) just enough to do something nice with the kids (because oftentimes I have to skip out halfway through playing with them, or they get upset that mummy can't hang out anymore she needs to concentrate and send off these 50 million emails). Would that make me an AH? He works so hard, and I feel like this is one of those things most wives would be happy to do, maybe? But it also feels like I already do so much, maybe this is just me trying to not be his maid. Am I being petty? Thanks for reading and Iook forward to your judgement (even if it would make me an AH, I'd appreciate the feedback).

I think I could be an AH if I do this because he works long hours, and all he really asks is for me to tap away at a computer sometimes. It's not like he's asking me to climb a mountain and wrestle a bear.

UPDATE: wow, what an overwhelming response. Firstly thank you to everyone for taking the time to read and respond. I have read every one. And I appreciate the concern shown by the overwhelming majority. I'm blown away by the concern shown. It brought me to tears to know that so many people care. To answer a couple of questions: -I do have access to the joint account, however, he has said he wants to go back to using his own individual account for this job. I have access to his account online because I pay the bills from it, but I'll be telling him I'd like to stay with the joint one please. -we have a "fun" budget from each pay. I usually spend it on him or the kids. -he doesn't like to do his own paperwork. Thats it. Sometimes he has internet issues where he works, and if something needs doing urgently of course I'll do it. But, from now on he can do everything else himself. I really get annoyed when I have to walk away from a giggling toddler to draft an email/get it approved by him/send it off.

A lot of comments have mentioned that they think there's some abuse at play here (psychological, financial, or emotional), and that's really made me pause for reflection. I'm looking deeper into WHY I behave this way and why I allow him to treat me this way. Unfortunately, it's a lot more common than people realise - at least at a surface level. I know several women who bend over backwards for their husbands and do all the same things that I do, and sometimes more (I thought I was getting off easy by comparison to some of these women). Including his own mother (an amazing woman - shout out to all the fantastic MILs!), and also my mother. But perhaps their behind the scenes looks different. I don't know. I guess I'll have to reach out and ask around some subtle questions. I managed to put a small line in the sand last night, regarding the paperwork. And it felt good. I told him I wasn't comfortable doing a particular online thing for him, and he'd have to do it himself. He took it well. I intend to draw more lines about things I don't like. I admit, I pander to him. But he shows his affection in subtle or other ways. Please don't take away from this that he's some kind of monster. He's a good man. I'll take your words on board, and I'm going to come back to this thread once he's home and I've taken some me time. I really appreciate your time. Thank you all again.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Never have a joint bank account.
Your money is your money. Hers is hers. What she does with hers is not your business, the same for you (unless something criminal is going on).
If she is your wife and you give her money, once it is in her account, it is not your money anymore. You don't get to audit her. If you don't trust her, you married the wrong person.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The other thing about this situation is that he wants to set up his own account splitting the joint account. Why? Either he's making a hell of a lot more than she thinks he is, or he's getting ready to book and is hiding assets. Her small victories are suspicious to me as well. Men like that don't concede anything.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

This really captures allergy season thus far for me.

Post by JazzNU »

Nothing like a computer glitch to stop you from being lazy about taking the time to back up your hard drive, am I right? 😅