Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:59 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:07 pm THE SIXTH SENSE, in the horror category, is there, but THE EXORCIST is not.
Awright.
And neither is Showgirls. Can't take that list seriously at all.
I'm not trying to be totally dismissive of this list, but I'd have to read much more than I'm willing to in order to understand how they came up with what they listed for each categories. I've looked it over a few times and am not understanding the delineations at all. I mean I see the general tones of snobbery and judgment, but that's about it.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I went to sleep last night thinking about that tweet. I wanted to really give it a thought.
And I am sorry, I can't agree. What this man describes is the role of GOVERNMENTS. Bezos, Musk, Gates and Zuckerberg could be the most disgusting or the greatest of people, but they would still not be required to, for example, "secure the right to vote". That is not their responsibility. I think I have been clear in this forum about my position on Amazon (it has to be broken up) and FB (it has to be regulated), but that does not mean that their owners own society a "moral debt" that would include "ending poverty". That, again, should be proper government, doing the proper things: tax these companies fairly and accordingly. Make sure that they behave in accordance to the law (no blatant dumping of products to destroy smaller competitors, like Amazon did with diapers.com). Perhaps, as a society, decide if we want to have a billionaire class and, if not, then implement the proper controls.
This man's response is a non-sequitur: "Imagine if rich people were GOOD people". Yes, imagine that. While doing that, imagine if governments were GOOD governments, truly looking out for the impoverished, the environment, the poor and the needy.
Bezos has a budget of $200 billion. The USA has a budget of $4 trillion, and I assume that the EU has a about the same, China too, Russia is also in the billions. Imagine if they all were to drop their military budgets and use that for "good". A dream that has been voiced eternally, and will certainly not happen.
I, for one, have said it here: I would impose a salary cap on individuals ($10MM/year) and an earnings cap on companies ($100MM/year), worldwide. But until I get to be king for a day, it will not happen, and these billionaires are free to use their money in developing new technologies.
Imagine if in 50 years, a space travel industry is booming, with daily flight to the moon so you can enjoy a week of zero gravity. Who knows how many new jobs would spring from that.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think my opinion about this particular topic is well expressed by the cartoon few posts above. Otherwise I agree that taxes ought to be more and big tech more stringently regulated.

Also Bezos or Musk have nowhere near 200 billion budget nor should they. That is only a value of their stock there as governments really do have those kinds of budgets. Again that is a normal state of affairs.

One last point - where exactly do we think those space billions go? They go in paying good salaries to the employees (9,500 at Spacex) and providing business to a myriad of contractors. It would be worse to buy antique paintings or invest in bitcoins.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:18 pm I think my opinion about this particular topic is well expressed by the cartoon few posts above. Otherwise I agree that taxes ought to be more and big tech more stringently regulated.

Also Bezos or Musk have nowhere near 200 billion budget nor should they. That is only a value of their stock there as governments really do have those kinds of budgets. Again that is a normal state of affairs.

One last point - where exactly do we think those space billions go? They go in paying good salaries to the employees (9,500 at Spacex) and providing business to a myriad of contractors. It would be worse to buy antique paintings or invest in bitcoins.
This fact isn't mentioned enough. They're VALUED at these astronomical sums. If some company decided it wanted to be paid in real cash money they wouldn't be able to. None of this wealth is liquid.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

What in the name of all that's good was the person on who lived in this house?

JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:07 pm THE SIXTH SENSE, in the horror category, is there, but THE EXORCIST is not.
Awright.
They are also insinuating that I Know What You Did Last Summer and The Human Centipede are on the same plane of taste, and...no
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:41 pm
What in the name of all that's good was the person on who lived in this house?
The house was built in 1950 and is being sold by the original owner. Process that. Helps explain some of the decoration choices. That house is a time capsule.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Less than 10 minutes from where I grew up. One of my good friends from high school lived two streets over, my sister's best friend lived one minute away. And I have no idea why this is trending in the first place and I'm mildly disturbed and annoyed that it is.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:41 pm Less than 10 minutes from where I grew up. One of my good friends from high school lived two streets over, my sister's best friend lived one minute away. And I have no idea why this is trending in the first place and I'm mildly disturbed and annoyed that it is.
It's one of the things you see a lot on HGTV. The house is decorated to suit the person who is now selling it and not for anyone who would want to buy it. You literally can't see the "bones" of the house and there are only one or two bathrooms that don't look as if someone was on a bad acid trip.

They're asking $500k+. It'll take up to $200k to redecorate the house. Once you pull off all of that wallpaper the walls will have to be redone. The bathrooms need updating and so does the kitchen. This room alone could cost at least $20k to remodel.

I doubt if they'll get that asking price.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Several of the rooms in our house looked like that when we bought it, and we basically had to strip everything down to the studs and start over.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JTContinental wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:08 am Several of the rooms in our house looked like that when we bought it, and we basically had to strip everything down to the studs and start over.
I'm guessing because when you pull that paper off chunks of the wall come with it. The house, if you buy at that price, is about $750k