Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:28 pm Where he's living is just a fun speculation, the really important part of his career is the electric car revolution. There is little doubt it would have come anyway, but Tesla conceivable might have brought it forward by 5-10 years. Without a serious industry disruptor car manufacturers would still be at "all talk" stage. It's extremely expensive to retool from internal combustion to electric (or any other new propulsion) and not at all good for the stock price.
Not sure of how many Tesla owners there are in Switzerland or Latvia so not sure you see the same things I do because it's very much people talking about this, not the media. Amazing innovation? Sure. But Tesla has a massive problem on their hands. What I said about part genius and part charlatan? Applies to Tesla in spades.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:50 pm
Suliso wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:28 pm Where he's living is just a fun speculation, the really important part of his career is the electric car revolution. There is little doubt it would have come anyway, but Tesla conceivable might have brought it forward by 5-10 years. Without a serious industry disruptor car manufacturers would still be at "all talk" stage. It's extremely expensive to retool from internal combustion to electric (or any other new propulsion) and not at all good for the stock price.
Not sure of how many Tesla owners there are in Switzerland or Latvia so not sure you see the same things I do because it's very much people talking about this, not the media. Amazing innovation? Sure. But Tesla has a massive problem on their hands. What I said about part genius and part charlatan? Applies to Tesla in spades.
I see Tesla in Basel from time to time, but what exactly are you trying to say I'm not sure. There are a lot of fans of his cars. I personally have never been in one, though.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:50 pm
Suliso wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:28 pm ...
What is the problem? Please tell. They do have a reputation for not great craftmanship (the Model 3) and they are very much a cult company, but is there something else?
Txs
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

The fandom is still there, but the core believers are shrinking in size and it's not uncommon to see the word Scam or Fraud used among Tesla owners in the various places they are online. There is more than one problem, so it will depend, but a ton of owners are understandably upset about this FSD, which means Full Self Driving. From the little I know about it, it would appear that this was touted and promised and PAID FOR back in 2016. 3 months away they think, but no more than 6 months, something like that was what was stated as the delivery timeline. 5 years later, still waiting. The issue is that, it's been paid for by owners on the promise of delivery by these much earlier dates and then all that's happened is that the price has steadily increased and owner after owner model after model pays for it and Tesla has just sat on the money, no refunds. I believe the current cost for it is $10k. Multiply that by millions and you see why the word scam is floating around with increasing frequency. I guess it can't be transferred either, I've heard that mentioned though I don't quite get that part or how it would work, just that it seems to be tied to the original car and buying something new requires a new FSD purchase. Pre-pandemic, I overheard a VERY loud conversation about this on the train, they talked so loud everyone in the car that day can tell you all the details. I had heard about it before in passing, but not in that much detail especially since I try not to talk to Tesla owners about their Teslas, it could be a bit much. I looked it up after that and it was like, yikes. And it's only gotten worse.

If the fandom was not as strong as it was, and if the clientele weren't as wealthy are they typically are, this would already be a massive class action suit and could still become one.

But to hear Tesla owners, who are much more dedicated and drinking the kool-aid than the most dedicated of the iSheep, say, "we passed into scam territory a few years ago," should be alarming for any company especially one that relies on brand loyalty as much as Tesla does. You can also see plenty of people in just a random Elon post reference it as a scam and others saying they don't think FSD is a scam, but they do think Elon has done quite a few scammy things. Just not great. Part charlatan like I said.
Last edited by JazzNU on Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:02 pm What is the problem? Please tell. They do have a reputation for not great craftmanship (the Model 3) and they are very much a cult company, but is there something else?
Not the only problem, for sure, but certainly attention-grabbing:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

They do sell more and more cars every year though and are currently building two new factories (Austin and Berlin). Let's see how it ends...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My concern with electrics is: what will you do with the batteries when they will need to be replaced? And they will be.
I still want an i3, though :D
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:37 pm My concern with electrics is: what will you do with the batteries when they will need to be replaced? And they will be.
I still want an i3, though :D
Recycle for precious metals I hope.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sure. And that recycling will be huge IF we all move to electrics, but currently I don't know if there are any of such facilities. We are lagging in that dept.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:29 pm Sure. And that recycling will be huge IF we all move to electrics, but currently I don't know if there are any of such facilities. We are lagging in that dept.
There aren't, but currently there also aren't any old car batteries (assuming 10 year lifespan).
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:29 pm Sure. And that recycling will be huge IF we all move to electrics, but currently I don't know if there are any of such facilities. We are lagging in that dept.
It'll come, although later:

https://www.wired.com/story/the-race-to ... -too-late/

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Russia, August 2020. You know, uncontrolled explosions? They are good at that.

Post by JazzNU »

Yeah, knew it was old, still thought it was worth posting since it's circulating anew on social media now. The stuff they capture in Russia because of their car dash cameras is really quite remarkable.

There's a crazy chair fight I was going to post from the Netherlands, but that too is older so I guess I'll skip it. There's never any real rhyme or reason to things trending long after they initially happen.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:07 am
I love how all the cars in the right lane going towards the explosion stopped at the same time. Here there would've been an chain reaction pile up.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein