Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ti-amie »

Ya know overall it's not bad. the kitchen needs to be updated and so do some of the bathrooms. The fact that there's a two car garage and a workspace adds value for some.

What I like is that despite the overall theme the owner didn't go nuts with the medieval knight theme inside. The walls are neutral and a paint job would be an easy fix. I only saw AC in one room - the master bedroom (the bathroom there was really nice) and to add AC to the entire place would cost a heck of a lot I'd think.

I wouldn't buy it because it's inside a forest. The bugs would have a field day. They send out flyers to notify their pals when I'm in a forested area. I think it's a good example of personal taste not overwhelming a potential resale.

Oh and it's in West Virginia hence the relatively low price.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:19 am Oh and it's in West Virginia hence the relatively low price.
Actually, it's in Washington state. Near Spokane, so your point still holds.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

MJ2004 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:23 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:19 am Oh and it's in West Virginia hence the relatively low price.
Actually, it's in Washington state. Near Spokane, so your point still holds.
:oops: My bad. And I'm glad my point still holds re the price.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:32 pm Does it come with its own ghost?
(I would buy it)
Well, it already has a Tin Man. So I don't think you can rule out a potential Wicked Witch of the West in there somewhere...
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

The color of bricks really ruins it. He should have used red ones.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:07 am The color of bricks really ruins it. He should have used red ones.
Also the windows. For that full medieval effect shouldn't he have had a few mullioned ones?
What do mullioned windows look like?
Mullioned windows often have unusual shapes, and they are frequently arched at the top. Gridded windows are square or rectangular, and the grid is regular, with evenly spaced panes of glass divided into a grid, rather than large blocks of glass divided by mullions or transoms.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If we are going there, it needs: spider webs, a lot of moss on the walls, a pit surrounding it and, of course, a dungeon and an oubliette. :)
Oh, and a turret for your young daughter, to be rescued.
But it is a fun house.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Suliso wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:07 am The color of bricks really ruins it. He should have used red ones.
Yup, the color and the uniformity of the bricks really ruin it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Here's the picture.

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

The medieval looking house made me remember a fantastic renovation hour once upon a time of this medieval I guess we could almost call it a castle in LA. Son of the owner and his girlfriend lived there and basically not a single kitschy thing had changed since the dad had committed 100% to the theme. The girlfriend was known to many because she was a model contestant on AMNT who went pretty far in an early season.

Does anyone else remember this? It was just craptastic in the most entertaining way possible. I don't remember the original show it was on, I feel like it was something on Style Network for some reason, but it's like that original wedding special episode in Long Island that basically started the wedding show craze that I think first aired back in the day on VH1 but made the rounds through many different names and channels because it was just worth showing however you could swing it.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:17 pm The medieval looking house made me remember a fantastic renovation hour once upon a time of this medieval I guess we could almost call it a castle in LA. Son of the owner and his girlfriend lived there and basically not a single kitschy thing had changed since the dad had committed 100% to the theme. The girlfriend was known to many because she was a model contestant on AMNT who went pretty far in an early season.

Does anyone else remember this? It was just craptastic in the most entertaining way possible. I don't remember the original show it was on, I feel like it was something on Style Network for some reason, but it's like that original wedding special episode in Long Island that basically started the wedding show craze that I think first aired back in the day on VH1 but made the rounds through many different names and channels because it was just worth showing however you could swing it.

Just looked it up. The show was called Tacky House and it was hosted by Thom Filicia (from the original Queer Eye). The episode was called Once Upon a Tacky Castle. The show did 30 minute episodes, but this was so bad they gave it an hour. It's up on NBC.com thru it would appear Bravo ownership which makes sense, but it did originally air on Style Network.

No need to seek watch, but I'll include the link if anyone wants to or just wants to get a gist from the first couple of minutes where they do the rundown, but this is a still photo from the show captures the commitment to the medieval time period. The woman in the photo is the model I mentioned from ANTM, Lisa D'Amato.

If you want to watch - https://www.nbc.com/tacky-house/video/o ... le/4006804
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I know it cannot be anything more than a freak coincidence. But it is freaky nonetheless.

Each of the last two mornings, we found a dead deer in the field by my house. (During the summer months, this is where I keep my old ram, Goliath.)

The dead 2- to 3-month-old fawn we found yesterday morning was just outside the fence (electric fence, four strands of high-tensile wire about 1 foot apart) on the south side about 10 feet from the neighbors' driveway. It looked like it had somehow got tangled in it on his way out of the field, couldn't get out (which shouldn't have been difficult), found himself lying with his head downhill, and probably suffocated.

Then early this morning, I get up and take the dog out. I see about a dozen hawks circling over my house. They couldn't have been after the fawn's corpse because we took him up the mountain deep into the woods. I go over to the field to look, and sure enough. There's a dead doe just inside the fence--this time on the west side. I assumed this was the mother of the fawn, probably looking for her baby. But this doe showed no signs of having ever nursed anything. In fact, she was probably a yearling--didn't look full grown. In any case, what happened to her was pretty clear. She had jumped the fence, caught one or more of her feet on the top strand of wire coming down the other side, fell inside the fence, and broke her neck.

Neither showed any sign of chronic wasting disease--and those are symptoms no one can miss. They're awful. Instead, both were perfectly healthy.

That fence has been up for nearly 20 years, and this had never happened before. On the contrary, late on almost any given night, even during the winter, you can stand on my front porch and hear the top strand of wire vibrating because of deer jumping over and a hoof clips the top strand of wire. It's actually a very pleasant sound on a quiet evening. But in all these years, every deer made it over and eventually got out safe and sound.

It's bizarre. But it has to be a freak coincidence.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Can you check the voltage? If the voltage has, for some reason, gone up, maybe it is not the same fence anymore.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:54 pm Can you check the voltage? If the voltage has, for some reason, gone up, maybe it is not the same fence anymore.
This is what I use for that field: https://www.zarebasystems.com/zareba-10 ... TEQAvD_BwE. Maximum of 115 volts. It pulses electricity once per second, so it's not constantly hot. Even with prolonged exposure to the pulse, I don't think that would be enough to kill a deer.