Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is kinda the tech story of the last few days. I'm pretty sure since this was run out of Australia Tiny didn't know about it.

P1
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

p2

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I visited the Best Buy website on my laptop for the first time in probably 4 months or so. Less than 2 minutes later I get a Retail Me Not notification on my phone for Best Buy deals. I rarely used that app and certainly not recently and haven't visited the BB site on my phone in I don't know how long, but definitely not since at least Christmas time.

This can't be a coincidence. But, my laptop and my phone are logged into Google/Chrome thru separate accounts. I didn't say the words Best Buy out loud so I don't think (this time) it can be about my phone listening to me. So, what, they've broadened their reach and are checking web activity on the same wi-fi connection now to increase their targets, is that it? Both laptop and phone are currently connected to my home wi-fi.

I'm less creeped out and more curious. I know I'm being tracked within an inch of my life, I accepted that long ago, just wondering how they are pulling this one off and that's all I can come up with. Let me know if you have another guess.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Slate Money did a segment on a pair of shoes that followed one of the podcasters everywhere she went online. It's a problem.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:37 pm I visited the Best Buy website on my laptop for the first time in probably 4 months or so. Less than 2 minutes later I get a Retail Me Not notification on my phone for Best Buy deals. I rarely used that app and certainly not recently and haven't visited the BB site on my phone in I don't know how long, but definitely not since at least Christmas time.

This can't be a coincidence. But, my laptop and my phone are logged into Google/Chrome thru separate accounts. I didn't say the words Best Buy out loud so I don't think (this time) it can be about my phone listening to me. So, what, they've broadened their reach and are checking web activity on the same wi-fi connection now to increase their targets, is that it? Both laptop and phone are currently connected to my home wi-fi.

I'm less creeped out and more curious. I know I'm being tracked within an inch of my life, I accepted that long ago, just wondering how they are pulling this one off and that's all I can come up with. Let me know if you have another guess.
Same or similar IP? But your WiFi idea seems very possible.
They are indeed going to extremes. I started receiving mails from WISH, one of them saying: "Since you signed up for WISH...", which, you can guess, like hell I did.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Some space statistics for those of us who're interested. :)

There have been 57 orbital launches in 2021 so far and from those 55 have been successful. 28 of these rockets have been of American origin, 19 Chinese and 8 Russian. From 28 American rockets 19 were Falcon 9 flights by Elon Musk's Spacex (all successful). The most popular launch spot is still Kennedy/Cape Canaveral in Florida (20). The next most commonly used launch facility is Chinese Jiuquan in inner Mongolia with 9 launches so far.

There are currently four active launch facilities each in US and China. Two in Russia and one each in Kazakhstan, India, New Zealand and France.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Pretty cool.
On the funny side. A petition has been started to deny re-entry permit to Jeff Bezos after he launches into space. Over 18,000 people have signed, so if you are interested:
https://www.change.org/p/blue-origin-pe ... y-to-earth
The "details" of the petition are pretty funny.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Of course, 25,000 votes (the stated goal) is only .00031325% of the global population. Not exactly a majority.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, sure. But it is funny that he would not be allowed re-entry. I bet if they were to place a T-shirt on Amazon that would read "NO RE-ENTRY FOR JEFF BEZOS" it would sell more than 25K pieces :)
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

The other funny part is that despite his money his space company (Blue Origin) is kind of a failure so far. Especially when compared to Musk's Spacex.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

So depressing to see L. America. But hardly surprising.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Argentina is well below Latin America average. I wonder who is then propping up the average somewhat. Chile and Brazil?

Of course percentages is one thing, how efficiently the money is used is another. Nor could absolute numbers be ignored in this context.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Kind of ironic to put this in a social media platform, but:
Why some biologists and ecologists think social media is a risk to humanity