Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by Suliso »

Wow, you do go to much greater lengths than most of us bother. Although I hope you do realize that a competent spy agency would find you anyway. Data connection is not required to spy on cell phones...
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I have several email accounts. Some are for fun. Some aren't.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I think there's only three people on here who know my real name. My social media name is variation of the real thing, but I think it's pretty easy to figure out in a relatively short amount of time for someone committed to figuring it out. Given what @mmmm8 has posted, I have every belief she'd get it if she had access to my FB profile, for instance. Wrong name, but the rest of the info is correct or close enough and all my friends and family use their real names. There are plenty of dots available to be connected. I just never wanted to use my real name on those sites and that obviously proved to work out better than intended with all the problems on FB in particular. The FBI or CIA would find me in under a minute flat. Guaranteed.

@ponchi, you'll be horrified to know I think I know your real name.

But I think the real news is that @Suliso is a bit famous? Who knew! I'm ignoring his denial that this isn't accurate. 😊
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't mind if you know my real name. It is in my blogs! :P
It is as Suliso says. Anybody with a real interest and a bit of an effort will find it. I am just hoping I can avoid being found by the Nigerian prince or the Korean hackers, that's all.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think with Nigerian princes it's exactly like in the old anecdote about outrunning the lion.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Enough about spying - better have a look at the latest developments at the Icelandic eruption (nothing horrible there despite the title). Some say it could continue like this for several decades.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have only seen one volcanic eruption in my life and it was both spectacular and frightening. Not as beautiful as this one, though.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:34 pm I have only seen one volcanic eruption in my life and it was both spectacular and frightening. Not as beautiful as this one, though.
^ That information can help in tracking down your identity, location, travels, family, etc.
The number of people who've witnessed a volcanic eruption is relatively small, you know...
:)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

My Child’s Egg Donor Is Latin American. Does That Make Him Latino?
The magazine’s Ethicist columnist on what forms our identity...

By Kwame Anthony Appiah
Published April 6, 2021
Updated April 7, 2021
I am the parent of a child who was conceived via in vitro fertilization and surrogacy using the sperm of a Caucasian man and a donor egg from someone who is half Colombian and half Central American. My spouse and I are professionals and both Caucasian, so (knock on wood) our son will most likely not encounter financial hardships. May we in good conscience check “Latino/Hispanic” on his college application?

We don’t need to decide this for many years, but it has been a topic of discussion, and we would love to hear your reasoning. Name Withheld
Identities have histories, and one story about the emergence of “Hispanic” as an overarching, transethnic identity in this country was told in detail by the Berkeley sociologist G. Cristina Mora in her classic 2014 study, “Making Hispanics.” It involved a convergence of activists, media executives and U.S. civil servants in the 1970s, resulting in the promulgation of a demographic category that included Cuban-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans and a great many others. “Latino” (and its variants), following suit, has gained in usage partly because it more easily accommodates people from Brazil (who speak Portuguese). Telling this story doesn’t mean the identity is unreal; it explains how it became real.

Being Latino, clearly, is not a matter of genetics. It’s a matter both of how you identify yourself and of how others identify you. Appearances could play a role here, to be sure. The experience your son would have if he were blond and blue-eyed could differ from certain experiences he might have if he were brown. People from Colombia and Central America come in a range of hues.

So your son may or may not identify as Hispanic/Latino when the time comes, depending on a host of factors, from peer groups to pigmentation. If he does, it won’t be wrong to say so. Where your connection to an identity is a matter of identification with your ancestors, the subjective personal element looms large. I’d predict too that questions about identity are likely to shift in significance over the next couple of decades, as they have over the past couple of decades.

You’re presumably thinking that, in college applications, being identified as Hispanic/Latino will give him some advantage, and that if he hasn’t experienced discrimination or borne the burdens of the identity (perhaps because he’s not readily identifiable as Latino), this might be unfair. In that situation, he’d certainly be getting advantages designed for people with a different set of experiences than his. Deliberately engineering such an outcome would be wrong. The brute fact of ancestry doesn’t suffice to make your child Latino. On the other hand, if he does come to identify as Latino and to be accepted by others as such, the special opportunities he might be offered would serve one of their functions, which is to have people of Latino identity in a wide range of positions in our society.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/06/maga ... 2afbcd939d
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Oversight Board
@OversightBoard
The Oversight Board makes decisions on what content Facebook & Instagram should allow or remove, based on respect for freedom of expression & human rights.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Why isn't FB subject to anti-monopoly laws? It is a monopoly; the only other such platform that I can think of is MYSPACE, and that one draws about 7 million visits a month (FB probably draws 7 MM/hour).
Shouldn't it be taken over by the governments? I know, shades of Big Brother, but right now, it is "little brother is doing drugs inside the house".

Post by JazzNU »

Him being banned from social media has been wonderful. It's amazing how much more dialed down it is now. Also, taking attention and spotlight away from the narcissist is a most fitting punishment, his worst nightmare.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Several articles around the web about the Pentagon confirming the authenticity of UFO's being filmed by Navy pilots.
Of course, UFO does not equal Extra Terrestrial life, but an interesting development.
It would be one thing that I would love to see. A final demotion: we are not alone in the universe, PLUS we are not the smartest ones. If only they were to really visit.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

^^ Hell no. Haven't seen much positive feedback on this announcement. And I really think they need to test markets outside of Seattle. They test it there and think it's good to go elsewhere, but many other places aren't nearly as on board with aiding the Rise of the Machines.