Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by JazzNU »

I think this is going to add more competition for Walmart and Target more than anyone else. Amazon buying Whole Foods didn't crush the competition and I'm not thinking this will either unless I'm missing something about what they are offering. But also, Amazon's purchase of WF was supposedly going to help with lowering prices there. And that's seriously hilarious. On some things sometimes maybe, but I can name more prices that have gone up than come down. So I'd say we have to watch for these supposed competitive prices they say they will have.

I think most local grocery stores will be fine. And I think most grocery chains will still be fine. I'm not leaving Wegman's for this. And I'm certainly not going to stop going to my regular everyday grocery store, where I get gas discounts, for this. Unless Amazon Fresh is offering more than Wegman's, I'm not thinking it will shake the market that much. A new Wegman's coming to a town would do more to end a local grocery store more than an Amazon Fresh store imo.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:00 pm I think this is going to add more competition for Walmart and Target more than anyone else. Amazon buying Whole Foods didn't crush the competition and I'm not thinking this will either unless I'm missing something about what they are offering. But also, Amazon's purchase of WF was supposedly going to help with lowering prices there. And that's seriously hilarious. On some things sometimes maybe, but I can name more prices that have gone up than come down. So I'd say we have to watch for these supposed competitive prices they say they will have.

I think most local grocery stores will be fine. And I think most grocery chains will still be fine. I'm not leaving Wegman's for this. And I'm certainly not going to stop going to my regular everyday grocery store, where I get gas discounts, for this. Unless Amazon Fresh is offering more than Wegman's, I'm not thinking it will shake the market that much. A new Wegman's coming to a town would do more to end a local grocery store more than an Amazon Fresh store imo.
Everyone who has access to a Wegman's is ride or die for the place. There aren't any in NYC to my knowledge.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:34 pm
Everyone who has access to a Wegman's is ride or die for the place. There aren't any in NYC to my knowledge.

Just learned from my aunt today that there is one in Brooklyn! Sounds like it opened a couple of years ago. Hopefully you'll be able to check out that one or the one in Westchester County and see if it lives up to the hype.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I don't drive.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

There’s a Wegmans about 10 minutes away from us, but I’ve never bothered checking it out.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:23 pmI don't drive.

For some reason I thought you went grocery shopping periodically just outside of the city, like near Yonkers. I must be thinking of someone else.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

When my daughter and her husband drive up to Yonkers I hitch a ride that's how I know about the shopping up there. My sister also used to drive me up there. Personally though I don't drive.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:08 am When my daughter and her husband drive up to Yonkers I hitch a ride that's how I know about the shopping up there. My sister also used to drive me up there. Personally though I don't drive.
I don't think I knew your daughter got officially married. Congratulations!

Jazz - you may be thinking of an exchange we had early-ish in the pandemic. Life Ti, I also live in the Bronx and we had a rental car and were considering which grocery store to hit outside NYC

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:23 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:08 am When my daughter and her husband drive up to Yonkers I hitch a ride that's how I know about the shopping up there. My sister also used to drive me up there. Personally though I don't drive.
I don't think I knew your daughter got officially married. Congratulations!

Jazz - you may be thinking of an exchange we had early-ish in the pandemic. Life Ti, I also live in the Bronx and we had a rental car and were considering which grocery store to hit outside NYC
Thank you. :)

I think you're right about the conversation.

Post by JazzNU »

That is the convo I was thinking about. And @Ti was suggesting places to go and I'm sure that made me think she shopped there somewhat regularly.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: SCIEEEEEENCEEEEE!!!!!!!!
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I guess I'll put this here. From this morning's NY Times newsletter.

::

Ryan Kaji is 9. He’s also the highest-earning YouTuber of the last three years. Kaji is largely popular for videos where he reviews toys, and Forbes reported that he made nearly $30 million last year.

The children’s section of YouTube is lucrative: Half of the 10 most popular videos on the platform are for children, and the catchy kids’ song “Baby Shark” is its most-viewed video. But as Bloomberg Businessweek reports, Kaji’s success goes far beyond the ad money from his videos. Like the Olsen twins and JoJo Siwa before him, he has an empire built on merchandising.

Kaji’s parents have made deals with Walmart and Target for toys and clothes, as well as TV deals with Amazon and Nickelodeon. A footwear line with Skechers is in the works. The bulk of Kaji’s revenue now comes from the licensing side.

Other children’s YouTube channels are also cashing in: Cocomelon, which has more than 100 million subscribers, has a line of toys. Pinkfong, the educational brand behind “Baby Shark,” has merchandise and a Nickelodeon series.

For more on Kaji, read the rest of Bloomberg’s story.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... f11dfcd63a