Hello Dante? What Level Is This?

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Hello Dante? What Level Is This?

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:38 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:56 pm Meanwhile, drove over the Shirleysburg again yesterday afternoon. Still lots of Trump signs and flags. And now one house just outside of Shade Gap has a display of Trump flags for sale at $10 a pop. The "F*** Biden" flag is among the selection. Let me know if any of you would like to place an order ($10 flag + shipping + my $25 gas fee).

I've told you before that I've always assumed I'd die if I got off the Turnpike near you and it's like you want to confirm that's absolutely true.
Sundown area's are very much alive.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:38 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:56 pm Meanwhile, drove over the Shirleysburg again yesterday afternoon. Still lots of Trump signs and flags. And now one house just outside of Shade Gap has a display of Trump flags for sale at $10 a pop. The "F*** Biden" flag is among the selection. Let me know if any of you would like to place an order ($10 flag + shipping + my $25 gas fee).

I've told you before that I've always assumed I'd die if I got off the Turnpike near you and it's like you want to confirm that's absolutely true.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I guess I'll put this here...

A New Darkness Falls on the Trump Movement

It was 6 a.m. in Cleveland. I had spent the night trying to sleep stretched out across three chairs in the baggage claim at the airport and was wearing the same sweaty, grass-stained sundress I’d worn at the Donald Trump rally from the night before, when a familiar face sat down next to me on the flight back to Washington D.C.

There was Marjorie Taylor Greene sporting camo shorts and rhinestone bracelets, sipping a green Monster Energy drink. Hours earlier, the Georgia lawmaker and CrossFit devotee had delivered a stemwinder that made Trump’s own stream-of-consciousness remarks seem subdued in comparison.

“I saw you speak at the rally last night,” I said, my eyes bloodshot and my forehead leathery from baking in the June sun the day before.

“Oh?” Greene perked up, before quickly deflating when I informed her I was a reporter. “You [the media] don’t treat me very fairly.”

My days aren’t normally quite this … unusual. But it seemed oddly appropriate given the moment.Trump’s reemergence on the political scene is promising to spark a seismic disruption to America’s political system bigger than the one he caused when he descended down his gilded escalator six years ago. Where once his supporters were hopeful, they now seemed aggrieved. The crowds are more frenzied, the conspiracies more fantastical, the cast of characters more outlandish.

That includes Greene, a freshmen congresswoman from exurban Atlanta and self-described Qanon repentant who — just six months in office — has managed to get expelled from her committees and nearly censured for comparing mask-wearing to the Holocaust. A resume like that would, in past times, relegate her to the fringes of her party. But, on our chat home, she explained just how central she is set to become in the Trump comeback narrative.

The former president, she said, had personally invited her to the rally and, schedule permitting, she planned to attend his upcoming events across the country this summer.

Greene is an unapologetic type, which goes some way to explaining why she is appreciated by Trump — a man loath to ever admit fault or apologize. On stage, he praised her as “loved and respected, tough, smart and kind.”

During our flight home, she explained her penchant for making controversial statements as a byproduct of her northwest Georgia upbringing: that’s just how people talk back home. She said she felt the media has given her, a mom and businesswoman, an unfair shake, though the controversy that surrounds her is often of her own making — like the time she attracted headlines for agreeing with people who said the Parkland massacre was a “false-flag planned shooting.” She told me she continues to believe the 2020 election was stolen, though its validity has been proven time and again.

She never once asked to go off record as I sat there, in our row, half asleep and half awake. It had been a long 24 hours.

Earlier that day, I had traveled to the Lorain County fairgrounds in rural northeast Ohio to cover Trump’s first true post-presidential rally. The events tend to resemble a cross between a NASCAR tailgate and a traveling circus. Vendors from states far away come to sell their MAGA hats and Trump T-shirts. There are diehard fans who camp out days before to get a prime position. Strangers give each other high fives and honk their car horns as they pass houses flying Trump, or now, “F--- Biden” flags.

On Saturday evening, Trump had come to town to support congressional candidate Max Miller, a former White House aide who gained his endorsement partly because he was a loyal footsoldier willing to take on Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, one of the 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump following the Jan. 6 riots.

But no one seemed to care about any of that. Few of the attendees registered any opinion on the congressional race. Two people I interviewed from the 16th District didn’t even know who Gonzalez or Miller were.

Instead, they wanted to hear from Trump; and, if not him, then the supporting cast of allies who have eagerly fed the fraud that the 2020 election was stolen, ripped from the hands of voters like them.

MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, a Trump confidant and donor who has pushed conspiracy theories about the election so wild that he is now the defendant in a multi-million dollar defamation lawsuit by Dominion Voting Systems, was greeted like a veritable rock star. Wearing a suit and tie, sweat glistening off his face, he posed for selfies with fans, as they screamed out “hero!” at his mere passing by.

Lindell may have been one of the evening’s main actors, but the play itself was a fantasy about this past November.

On stage, a math teacher from Cincinnati gave a bizarre PowerPoint presentation to a patient audience that squinted in the sun to see slides of squiggly lines he said amounted to evidence of widespread, coordinated election fraud. He used his fuzzy math to prove Trump actually won the election, and the audience nodded along.

When it was Greene’s turn to speak, she asked the audience, “Who is your president?” “Trump!,” they replied, even though the year is 2021 and Joe Biden occupies the White House.

Not that the crowd needed much convincing. I asked Richard Stachurski, a resident of Wellington, Ohio, if he wanted Trump to run in 2024.

“How do you run for president if you’re already president?” he replied.

When he finally took the stage, Trump attacked Biden’s policies and became animated when he pivoted to the past, talking about his negotiations with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un and his plans for a border wall.

There was a familiarity to it all. The chants of “4 MORE YEARS!” and “LOCK HIM UP!” (this time, aimed at infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci instead of former campaign rival Hillary Clinton). The recitation of the sinister poem, “The Snake.”

And yet, there were signs this rally was different. During past rallies, Trump’s supporters applauded Trump as he trashed immigrants, demonized the media, and echoed his calls to lock up his opponents. But they also felt hopeful the Manhattan billionaire was giving them a voice. There was a sense that this charismatic outsider would empower them to change Washington, and a joyfulness that came with being part of a movement. Now, they felt cheated. “WE THE PEOPLE ARE PISSED OFF,” one popular rally T-shirt read. Their champion was no longer in office, which means he had been stripped of any real power. It seemed to feed a sense of desperation, even from Trump himself.

“The subject matter is somewhat depressing,” he said of his own speech.

In all, Trump spoke for more than 95 minutes, and after the rally was over, supporters marched back to their cars. In the distance, the bright lights of the rally that read “SAVE AMERICA AGAIN” and a lit-up fairground french fries truck painted a dusky dreamscape redolent of Edward Hopper.

“Gloria,” the one-hit-wonder disco song about a woman driven to insanity because of a man, could be heard blaring from the speakers.

"Are the voices in your head calling, Gloria?”

People sang along.

It was time for us all to go home. And so I did, to the hotel I assumed I had booked. But when I arrived, the receptionist couldn’t find my reservation number. And after calling every hotel in the area, I resigned myself to the fact that a few hours in bed just wasn’t going to happen. To the airport I went.

“I think it’s because there was a Trump rally tonight,” one hotel receptionist said.

“Yes,” I replied, “Yes, there was.”

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... ure-496991
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sickeningly interesting.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sorry, but...
Why would any organization give $14.25MM to get this woman into the SCOTUS, when giving $2MM to any Trump organization or lackey would have done the trick?
Tiny's penchant for grift is well known.
Not buying this, not yet.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

I am pretty sure that Art Martin is wrong. The governor has control over the National Guard, not the Federal Government. This is why former President Trump could not call out the National Guard to deal with the Black Lives Matter protests.

But that does leave the question of "Why would the Governor of South Dakota want to deploy National Guard along the southern border?" I am not sure that the Governor of South Dakota has the right to deploy the South Dakota National Guard outside of South Dakota without the receiving state's permission.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I think you're both right, saying things somewhat differently. National Guard units are directed by the Governor of the state or territory, but that doesn't change that they are military reserves and part of the armed forces under the DoD.

I'm not sure how there is a way to look at an attempt to privately fund activities carried out by the actual US military as anything other than extrajudicial.

Post by JazzNU »

Odds on favorite to win the 2024 GOP Presidential Nomination. Good lord.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:41 pm Odds on favorite to win the 2024 GOP Presidential Nomination. Good lord.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

An opioid addict under stress from his job. Maybe they wanted him to stay awake and do the job they were paying him to do? Sounds more like something a meth addict would say. JMHO
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Wouldn't you be able to tell whether he was under the influence by the voice in the recording?
I mean, this person obviously needs to spend considerable time behind bars, and after that, he needs a tracking device. But if he really was stressed out, I gather some technical analysis could tell.
Serious question. I have no idea.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »