The World of Style & Entertainment

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: The World of Style & Entertainment

Post by ti-amie »

The world knows about Britney but not much about this.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Very interesting article on the process behind the making of "Bridgerton"

‘Bridgerton’ Showrunner on Creating a Color-Conscious Series (Guest Column)

Chris Van Dusen says sitting with — and listening to — his actors informed the popular series by examining its exploration of race as something not just seen but heard.
August 23, 2021 10:45am
by Chris Van Dusen

Chris Van Dusen (center) at work on 'Bridgerton,' which is based on the novels by Julia Quinn. Liam Daniel/Netflix

Earlier this year, Netflix announced that Bridgerton, a show I created and ran, was the streaming giant’s biggest series debut ever. I was astounded. How could this Regency period piece that had consumed the better part of the last three years of my life be capturing the zeitgeist in such a big way? I’m convinced it’s due in no small part to the show’s intentionally inclusive world — one where every viewer, no matter who they are, could see themselves onscreen. A world that’s not color-blind, as some have suggested, but one that’s color-conscious.

My pitch for Bridgerton was straightforward: I wanted to turn the period genre on its head and reimagine it in a new and exciting way. One that included characters of different colors and backgrounds. One that explored the topic of race. I wanted gay people to exist in this world. I wanted to expand this entire universe. So I created a multihued, multi-ethnic Regency period world just as diverse as the one in which we live today. My show would be about love. Joy. Triumph. It would be a show that says everyone is worthy and deserving of all of those things, and more.

It sounded really lovely, of course. But how I’d actually do it admittedly took some time.

The period pieces I had seen looked the same. Sure, you’d spot the occasional person of color — but usually in the background, serving food or helping some porcelain-skinned young lady get dressed. Certainly not as lead characters. Certainly not getting their own happily-ever-afters. Bridgerton‘s source material, while a rich and delicious read, was unsurprisingly about people with fair skin and piercing blue eyes. Race, as a description and subject matter, was never mentioned.

In 2018, I toured Wilton House in Wiltshire, England. Standing alone in the opulent Double Cube room, I was awestruck by its stateliness. It was in that moment that I knew I had to have a royal component in this show. And so I created the character of Queen Charlotte. Part royal, part Beyoncé, an original creation, not in the books. I was aware of the historical theories of the actual Queen Charlotte’s African ancestry. She was, some historians argue, a descendant of a Black branch of the Portuguese royal family, England’s very first queen of color. It was revolutionary — not just as a real, historical theory but also as the basis for the show. This was how I became determined to start the entire series. In this room. With our heroine Daphne’s being presented to the queen, the most powerful person in this world, a woman of color.

The construct for this world was born. It meant that the color of your skin would not determine whether you were high-born or low-born. It meant lords and ladies, dowagers and dukes, of all different colors and backgrounds, could exist in this world. This would not be a color-blind world. These characters of color that audiences would see and relate to onscreen were real.

My goal of reinventing the period drama through a color-conscious lens was taking shape. But then several members of my brilliant cast reached out suggesting I do more. That’s when one of the most unexpected and satisfying collaborations of my career happened.

Golda Rosheuvel as Queen Charlotte Liam Daniel/Netflix

What followed was one of the most poignant and transformative days I had during the making of this series. Together with every single actor of color on the show in one room, I was able to listen to everything everyone had to say over a long afternoon of tea and other English goodness. My job was to simply sit, listen and learn. It was emotional, powerful and completely necessary.

Many of those in that room felt the show could go further in terms of its exploration of race. The show, they agreed, was already so beautifully eloquent when looking at things like class, gender and sexuality. But couldn’t there also be an acknowledgment of color onscreen?

The question humbled me. They were right. We could do even more to turn the genre on its head and dig even deeper into the stories of the characters the show aimed to include. So the things my cast talked to me about that day found their way into the scripts. Into the characters’ backstories. Into the world itself. As Lady Danbury puts it: “We were two separate societies, divided by color, until a king fell in love with one of us.”

Those involved in TV know what a surreal process it is. Hundreds of some of the hardest-working people you’ll ever meet are brought together and, somehow, a living, breathing, piece of moving art is magically born. To the person overseeing it all, it’s terrifying. But also deeply rewarding. Especially when your actors feel comfortable enough to come to you with what’s really on their minds.

The show would not be what it is today if that profoundly collaborative afternoon with my cast had not taken place. I can resoundingly say that Bridgerton — with all of its color, beauty, love, joy and triumph — was made all the better for it. And now, I get to carry that treasured collaborative experience with me into season two, and what lies next for me as well.

This story first appeared in the Aug. 18 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... erm=165498
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

I haven't seen Bridgerton, but this is a key sentence:

"A world that’s not color-blind, as some have suggested, but one that’s color-conscious"

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:51 pm I haven't seen Bridgerton, but this is a key sentence:

"A world that’s not color-blind, as some have suggested, but one that’s color-conscious"
I loved that quote too. When the conversation he references happens it's crucial to the story and the role both characters play in the series. It was wonderfully done.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Met Gala is tonight. Quite a few tennis players are going to be there. Those that have arrived are in the Tennis Player's thread.

I'll say this. I haven't seen so many fashion mistakes in one place in a long time. It's really bad.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:37 pm The Met Gala is tonight. Quite a few tennis players are going to be there. Those that have arrived are in the Tennis Player's thread.

I'll say this. I haven't seen so many fashion mistakes in one place in a long time. It's really bad.

I just looked at all of the outfits here. It's either a huge no or booooring. People (and designers) really forgot how to dress during the pandemic.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My god. It makes you actually long for somebody in crocs and Hanes sweatpants... :freaking:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Photo: Getty Images

Rihanna in Balenciaga Couture, Maria Tash, Thelma West and BVLGARI jewelry and A$AP Rocky in ERL a quilt
A bit Morticia Addams...

KiKi Layne and Ashton Sanders

One guy in a blanket and another guy in his pajamas. I hope this isn't a trend

Natalia Bryant and Conner Ives in Conner Ives

There isn't enough money in the world...

I had to look this young woman up. She goes by Normani and she is selling that gown. That's a really difficult color for anyone and yet it suits her coloring.

Model Emily Ratajkowski in Vera Wang. I hate that thing around her neck.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Quannah Chasinghorse in Dundas

Tessa Thompson in Iris van Herpen

Thank goodness she kept the hat off for pictures...

Helen Lasichanh and Pharrell Williams in Chanel

Jackie Aina in Fe Noel

Vera Wang in Vera Wang

THIS is what she chose to wear to the Met Gala? I guess she's going for a younger audience but maybe do what other designers do and let an actual young person wear this get up and you dress more your age? I mean...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Paloma Elsesser in Zac Posen

I don't like the tuile on the end of the train. She is showing why foundation garments are a necessity.

Jack Harlow in Tommy Hilfiger

I mean I guess...

Channing Tatum

Men always look best when they keep it simple and classic.

Hailee Steinfeld in Iris van Herpen

When last seen Ms Steinfeld looked like this

amazon.com images

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I said it in the Tennis Players thread and it should be said here. If you were not vaxxed with valid proof you were not allowed to attend. It's why so many people who have become staples at this event weren't there. Some took it better than others. Google Nikki Minaj Met Gala.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I'll google Nikki Minaj rights after I google "how to gauge your eyes out painlessly".
My god. What sights.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Hunter Schafer in Prada

Michael Kors and Regina King in Michael Kors Collection

Margaret Qualley in Chanel
Chanel was off this year

Lily-Rose Depp in Chanel

Like I said...
Zoë Kravitz in Saint Laurent

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Ariana DeBose in Michael Kors Collection

Totally different look than Regina King but classy without being too young or too old

Cara Delevingne in Christian Dior

We're all adults here right and I believe Cara is out so...

Kristen Stewart in Chanel

Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello in Michael Kors Collection

Simone Biles in Area and Fred Leighton Jewelry

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

By the way all of the pics are from https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/met-gal ... ign=runway